Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heaters?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Heaters?

I was wondering for the people who use heaters to take the edge of in your box blinds, what type do you use that doesnt realease any smell that deer would pick up on and spook?? thanks for the help
Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Heaters?

I have a friend at work that use a propane heater and he take a nice buck every year.He also knows which way the deer are coming from so that helps a lot.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM

i use one

Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used one of those little homemade alchohol burners. Burns HEET. No smell whatsoever.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

how do you go about making those??
Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 AM

I've never used one but I was thinking about this also so great question. I'm looking forward to the aswers. Does it make sense to use one of them without a stand and if not what type of stands have you used them in?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 AM

you should install a little wood burner in your stand if it is large enuf....deer will just theink there is some brush buring somewhere and if u light it a feew times a month they will get used to it and it will not bother them.....or else run power to it and plug in a heater
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 AM

Hey roadhunter thanks for a great idea, in NJ,hereyou can hunt out of your house as long as the neighbors are more than 450 feet oryou get writen permission. Great Idea!!!! I guess the only thing anyone has to be worried about is YOU shooting from your vehical into thehouse.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother uses a home-made "Sterno" heater. It is essentially a piece of 8" diameter, .33 wallSS pipe about a foot long, with a welded bottom. Has 4 short SS angle legs.Four 1/2"vent holes drilled in the bottom. Top has a wooden handle for obvious reasons.Top is held onto place with one bolt allowing it to use it as a damper. He and his buds made a bunch of them from the plant scrap heap. I have 2 but have never even tried them. Apparently keeps him warm enough andI have never herd him tell of deer spooking. Several guys in my hunting club use a smallpropane heater. I have never herd them tell of deer spooking because of the "odor" or the continual "hiss".I think these cost about $100.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have them in some of the Blinds I use. My dad swears by them in the blinds he uses now that he is getting up there in age. We typically use an old propane heater that is relatively small and attach it to a propane tank right outside the blind. Then, opening morning we turn the porpane tank on and if it gets cold at all during the season we just turn the valve on the heater onand light it up. It helps on those cold mornings when you want to stay out an extra hour or two. If you have a box blind, I suggest getting one, it really helps when the temps hit 10 -20 degrees.

Quick Reply: Heaters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.