Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting is to easy these days

Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting is to easy these days

sounds to me that if you had your way we would be barefoot in a loin cloth hunting w/ a sharpend stick
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

sounds to me that if you had your way we would be barefoot in a loin cloth hunting w/ a sharpend stick
Seems to me that you have totally exaggerated what I said. It also seems to me that you have absolutely no knowledge on stag stalking here, hence the extreme statement that you made.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Remingtongirl do you bow hunt?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

remington girl i wasnt responding to you lol i was reponding to the fell who thinks its a bad idea. i my self dont like the feeding and what not during season but in the winter we enjoy watching them in the back yard under the feeder. i do however take advantage of things like game camerasand trail timers. not that it helps me the way we hunt, tracking, but is is cool to know you hvae some big basters to look foward to chasing in the fall. plus all the other cool game animals i captured. fox, bobcat, rabbits, bear etc.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

Remingtongirl do you bow hunt?

Yep I sure do, I much prefer it to using a gun. I seem to get more of a "thrill" and "enjoyment" from bowhunting.

remington girl i wasnt responding to you lol i was reponding to the fell who thinks its a bad idea. i my self dont like the feeding and what not during season but in the winter we enjoy watching them in the back yard under the feeder. i do however take advantage of things like game camerasand trail timers. not that it helps me the way we hunt, tracking, but is is cool to know you hvae some big basters to look foward to chasing in the fall. plus all the other cool game animals i captured. fox, bobcat, rabbits, bear etc.
Sorry about that, it's just when your post was in response to mine I gathered it was geniunely for me.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

i like to go into a new area with know idea whats there,no camera's ,no feeding. just hunt for a few days and half the fun is trying to find big buck sign on new property. i like to kill a buck the first time i lay eyes on him. its the way everyone used to hunt where i live,now we have guys feeding so much you will hardly ever see a deer on some property. they just as well go high fence and just raise farm deer to shoot.

i saw a guy near me last week with a bunch of new feeders on his truck,thats fine now. come sept 1 its illegal to feed deer in va. so this year i'm sending the warden to them all.
I knew the issue of baiting would cause some heated debate (like always), so thats why I am curious as to why you assume he's baiting, and not feeding deer in the winter?
I do not bait deer beause it is illegal in Indiana, and I wouldn't bait even if it was legal. I like to "outsmart them".However, I do feed them corn from a feeder throughout the bitter cold months after late archery season ends. Deer can definitely use a little extra energy to survive through ice storms and deep snows, however I do understand that Virginia doesn't get too much of that. Its also cool to put corn out in the winter and see when your bucks are dropping antlers.

As far as people that bait deer I dont think its right to get so mad about it. Life is too short to worry about how others live their lives.I dont bait but Im not gonna look down upon someone who does.Its not mykind of hunting but it is still hunting.If its illegal than thats an ethical issue (the guys you describe shooting bait pile deer from trucks, that is crap, i agree). There are a few placesin the U.S.A. ("Big Woods") where hunters wouldn't see more than 3-4 deer a whole season if they didn't bait. All that being said, since its illegal in Va. thats your call to report it if you "catch him". I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it though, you obviouslt have some very nice deer runnin around. Both of those bucks are very nice, I'd be very proud if I were you
Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

If you think hunting is too easy, come on up to northern New England.
No cameras, no baiting, just miles of woods with the deer population lower than you probably have ever experienced.
We have some of the biggest bucks in the country that dress well over 200 pounds. The kind of deer that will take you breath away.

So, if you want a real challenge, c'mon up and spend a week hunting these big bucks.
You might be lucky enough just to see one.

The only way to hunt IMHO!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:00 AM

Hi Everyone,Feeding does make things easier to get deer in the area you want them in. Lets say feeding was no longer legal, then someone would just plant a food plot and feed them that way. It's with in the law. I don't cordone feeding by any means, what might be wrong for one is right for another. We should stick together no matter what so our differences are. What you can do if there is no feeding allowed in your area is to start scouting right after the season ends. If there is snow you look for tracks, even though deer feeding patterns change per season this gives you a start of where they will be near the end of the season the next year. Next scout in August, this will give you an idea where they will be during bow. Use things to your advantage, like snow, look for tracks, if you see only little ones but see they are constant threw new snow fall you should have an idea that some deer use that area. Maybe not the ones you’re looking for but some. Keep looking until you find the sign you’re looking for. Then the next year go into that spot very early, at least ½ hour before the sun even thinks about coming up. Stay all day, don’t leave the spot. This will give you a fair idea of what goes through that area at what times. If you see nothing that day, don’t give up. Look for deer crap on the ground in the area. If you find some the ones you’re looking for are large and long, this is an indication of a mature deer or a buck. Clumped crap even better, more likely a mature buck. Wet even better means you just missed them. Hunt near draws where woods funnel down and 2 or 3 pieces of land go into 1. I always start out hunting one spot for a week then making adjustments when needed like I mentioned above. Be patient, very still and always stay awake. Try and stand as still as possible and only move your head side to side. Avoid swatting bugs or itching yourself or limit your movements to as slow as possible and as straight as possible. I hunt hard and get great results most times but I have been skunked. Keep a positive attitude and stay committed and you will have success. Please don’t patronize someone for something you can’t do because of things outside or your control and remember we have a wonderful and precious privilege. The anti’s are always happy to see us scuffle with each other. BTW – speaking of anti’s, I’m starting a new anti vegetarian group – save our tomatoes and broccoli, they can’t do it them selves! J God Bless and stay safe and have fun…
Old 03-19-2009, 04:35 PM

I don't think it's wrong to bait deer or plant food plots. But I know I don't have the money to be feeding deer with corn or to make a plot... So I don't.
I doubt if I did have money to do stuff like that I would anyways, but I'm not going to say people that hunt around feeders are lazy.

The thrill in hunting for me is putting myself in a position to make a clean kill. Something I really have to work for. That goes for bow, muzzle loader and rifle seasons.
My favorite way to hunt is bow because it's hard to put myself in a situation to get a kill.
I don't hunt in a tree stand so I'm not just sitting there waiting. I get bored easy.

But hey, I get lazy once rifle season comes in. So sometimes I make a long shot with my rifle.

There is a rather large field they like to eat out of once and a while
Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM

I see where you're going, you just want to pick a fight with someone that hunts or uses different tactics than you. If I used a long bow and a carved flint head do I have the right to tell you "your a lazy hunter because you're using a compound bow with aluminum arrows and metal razor tips"?... No so why would you tell someone else what they should do if it's legal? If it's not legal then by all means I'm 100% behind you....

Quick Reply: hunting is to easy these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.