Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Indiana deer hunting--need a weapon. >

Indiana deer hunting--need a weapon.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Indiana deer hunting--need a weapon.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Indiana deer hunting--need a weapon.

Going hunting with friends this year for the first time in Indiana. Can't use the centerfire rifle, so I need to pick a weapon. I have an old Ithaca 12 ga 28" with modified choke, but am not very optimistic about getting very good accuracy with it, and I'd need to add a scope or red dot as all it has is the front bead. The other option is to buy something new. Oh, and it can't be a bow because everyone else will be using either a shotgun or pistol. Not sure if we'll be in the north or the south, so not sure on potential ranges, but probably nothing over 100yds. Also, I can't think of too many occasions where I'd use this gun for anything else once I leave IN, except for potetially a revolver in .44mag.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana deer hunting--need a weapon.

If you can't use a centerfire I would definitely recommend a muzzleloader. They are somewhat challenging like bow hunting in the aspect that you only get one shot. I've been hunting with a shotgun, centerfire and muzzleloader and I definitely prefer muzzleloading over all else. It's a blast!
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

As someone who lives and hunts in Indiana the muzzleloader is the way to go. I am sure you could find some use for a muzzleloader after your hunting trip. People take muzzleloaders on hunting trips all over the globe. One advantage of a muzzleloader over all other weapons in this state is that you can use it for both shotgun season and muzzleloader season. Most inlines today are just as or more accurate than a shotgun.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shotgun, or muzzleloader..Unless you wanna get into bowhunting. Couple extra months to hunt (bow opens Oct. 1st), and you can hunt the whole
pre-rut and rut, on into the late season (Jan. 1st).
Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

i would have to agree. if you can offord the new gun, go with a muzzleloader. and you can use it in other states for muzzleloader only hunting seasons.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

As the others have mentioned, the Muzzleloader would be THE way to go. I'm always lookin' for a reasonto hunt with my T/C Encore Pro Hunter!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 AM

whats wrong with a bow? or do you have one?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

go with a muzzle loader
Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM

smoke poll are nice
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Muzzleloader is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Indiana deer hunting--need a weapon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.