Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BEST WAY TO HUNT DEER !!!

Old 03-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BEST WAY TO HUNT DEER !!!

ORIGINAL: WildlifePhoto

I'm not. Just friends from another website.
If true, without an original thought of his own.

Again, if tr is spendinding that nuch time "educating" us on so many sights, why is he not here?

Steve
Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WildlifePhoto

I'm not. Just friends from another website.
TR's post from the Bowsite: "I have no intentions of writing a new book. I'm tired of writing - and have gotten into photograhy.

Coincidence??
Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM

When T.R.had his own board here, several years ago, with forums on whitetail, waterfowl, turkey and elk, and he moderated the first "Religion" fourm on thistalk forum, there was a "falling out" between him and the administrators. And headmitssome of it was his fault.

If you want him back,tell the administrators.He told me he'd be gladto come back.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt that is happening TR - your posting here under an alias has not caused a groundswell of support.

Steve
Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM

T.R. posted this on another site.

NOW as to hunting tactics - here is my favorite way to go about guiding for trophy class bucks.

Because:

1. I am always looking - not just for any deer - and not just for bucks - BUT, for bucks that will score above 140, and above 170 if possible (in that area) -

2. as a result of reading the research papers of several top biologists, and the experience of my own 10 year research project into the biology and behavior of deer - I have a fairly good understanding of how they will react to the weather each day, and what activities they will exhibit during the different phases of the rut -

3. I understand the whitetails in most areas have traditional home ranges every year, with a "daytime core area" where they spend the majority of the day, and that bucks in particular, have preferred "very lightly used trails" (because there is generally only one buck using the trail, none direction, one tine per day),that they use as they leave their core areas in the evening to go out and feed or look for does, and often another "lightly used trail" they use as they go back intro their core area in the morning -AND that bucks often leave evidence of where they travel - by leaving rubs and scrapes (which is why we call it a "rub route"; and that these buck trails or rub routes often parallel the more heavily used doe trails, but may be up the hill, down the hill or in heavier cover, and that these buck trails can often be found near food sources -

4. I know that the terrain and type of habitat the deer are in often governs where they have their daytime core areas, bedding sites, travel routes and trails, and where they feed and water -

5. I realize that the hunting pressure - and type of habitat (particularly food sources) on adjacent properties - often governs when and where deer may enter or leave the property I hunt

6. I realize that the weather each day - governs to a great extent how active deer will be that day, and when and where they will be thaqt day

7. I realize that by glassing the property, from one or more areas where I can watch the enitre property to actually see deer, from high spots or roads and open areas - and by actually "field scouting" the property to look for deer sign and determine where the travel corridors, trails, buck trails, rubs, scrapes, core areas, bedding sites and food and water sources are -

THEN:

I realize - I just can't gain enough information about a piece of property - from an aerial photo and a topo map - to determine the best places to hunt for deer, none the less a particular large racked buck.

So -I would not hunt a property going in cold - without doing some glassing and/or field scouting - first. And at least taking into scout where the preferred food sources are that week, which phase of the rut the deer are in, and the weather conditions that day.

No matter where I hunt - I want to take into account the habitat and the wind, also the rut phase the deer are in, the amount of hunting pressure there might be in the surrounding areas, which might affect "where and when" the deer come onto the property I am on, ande Anything else that may affect deer activity that day.

I've not had a situation where I could not scout (at least a bit - say "all day" before the hunt). BUT, if I were going in basically blind - I'd choose a site - depending on what the weather was doing the day of the hunt. I'd go to low-lying, protected or wooded areas if the wind was above 10-15 mph - and I'd set up closer to where I think downwind-bedding areas are (the downwind side of the hill). If there was medium to heavy precipitation - I'd look to hunt near areas with overhead cover, and expect the deer not to move too far. If it was hot I'd expect the deer to be in or near the heaviest overhead vegetation (for shade, and possibly in areas where the wind might cool them off in the shade, or in or near water (the lake or swamp if there is one). I'd also expect them to move during the cooler part of the day, with them (and me) playing the wind and thermals for morning and evening hunts.

My plans depend on how much time I have - to glass, field stalk, and the sign I see - both before the hunt, and while I'm hunting - and my plans and hunting locations may change based on what occurs each day, and what I find, or see each day.

First thing I would do is, pick as many spots (up high - like I do elk hunting) as needed - to see as much of the property as I could, and glass it both sunset an sunrise - several days (or weekends) just prior to peak breeding in that area - then I'd narrow down my field scouting to the areas where I saw the biggest buck. Or - if no buck shows - possibly where I saw the most amount of doe activity, or I might just go with my "gut".
Next I'd try to hunt the week of peak scraping, or the week before peak breeding - when the bucks are still fairly predictable.

If there are food cources, and if the wind in that area is primarily out of the northwest, and if I could scout the area around the property, and knowing that older bucks like to bed down on the downwind side of hills (during the day), I'd look for a rub route leading up onto any of the ridges in the area, look for a buck core area on the downwind side of those ridges, and if a stand site was close to the core area (but not in it) I'd setup there in the evening to see if the buck walks along it's rub route and get a shot at it.

Just my initial way of choosing a spot, if it doesn't work, I do more field scouting (actually looking for sign).

Although I rely to a great deal on the type of habitat and the topography - I also rely to a great extent on glassing, and a ton of field scouting - to locate prime travel routes, rub routes, scrapes, and daytime core areas (especially those of bucks).

If I can't scout at all before the hunt, I rely much more on my general knowledge of deer core aras, bedding sites and travel routes, and combine it with
the use of a topo and an aerial - then choose a spot. If I don't get anything the first day, I quit hunting about 10- noon, and "still hunt/stalk" the property to look for sign - until about three hours before sunset. If I see something while "still hunting" - fine - if not I choose the best location based on what I've seen that day while scouting.

I also want to know what is in any agricultural fields, and were they cut/harvested lately - ie, if there is an alfalfa field; is it still growing up, or has it been cut and baled within the last week; or has it been cut, baled and has started to grow back - with new, lush, tasty, green growth in it? Makes a difference where I may setup.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM

I dont think it matters to him either way.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I can't understand why a few people keep high jacking this thread!
Afew of you are like hyena's eating on the carcass of a dead T.R.Michels.

Answer the question on the first post, or go start your own thread and berate Mr. Michels there ... don't you have anything better to do?

Every man under the sun has faults! Let's NOT talk about yours on a national forum.
Your acting like hell bent little boys!

No ... I don't know the man and Yes ... it's sickening to read howother people talk, like you guys do, about someone else!

Answer the question, or go stand in the corner or Daddy's going to clean your mouth with soap ... now say bye-bye to the men!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM

I can't remember if I posted this from T.R. or not, but anyway, here it is.

Here is the way I go about guiding for and getting close to trophy class whitetails.

Because:

1. I am always looking - not just for any deer - and not just for bucks - BUT, for bucks that will score above 140, and above 170 if possible (in that area) -

2. as a result of reading the research papers of several top biologists, and the experience of my own 10 year research project into the biology and behavior of deer - I have a fairly good understanding of how they will react to the weather each day, and what activities they will exhibit during the different phases of the rut -

3. I understand the whitetails in most areas have traditional home ranges every year, with a "daytime core area" where they spend the majority of the day, and that bucks in particular, have preferred "very lightly used trails" (because there is generally only one buck using the trail, none direction, one tine per day),that they use as they leave their core areas in the evening to go out and feed or look for does, and often another "lightly used trail" they use as they go back intro their core area in the morning -AND that bucks often leave evidence of where they travel - by leaving rubs and scrapes (which is why we call it a "rub route"; and that these buck trails or rub routes often parallel the more heavily used doe trails, but may be up the hill, down the hill or in heavier cover, and that these buck trails can often be found near food sources -

4. I know that the terrain and type of habitat the deer are in often governs where they have their daytime core areas, bedding sites, travel routes and trails, and where they feed and water -

5. I realize that the hunting pressure - and type of habitat (particularly food sources) on adjacent properties - often governs when and where deer may enter or leave the property I hunt

6. I realize that the weather each day - governs to a great extent how active deer will be that day, and when and where they will be thaqt day

7. I realize that by glassing the property, from one or more areas where I can watch the enitre property to actually see deer, from high spots or roads and open areas - and by actually "field scouting" the property to look for deer sign and determine where the travel corridors, trails, buck trails, rubs, scrapes, core areas, bedding sites and food and water sources are -

I realize - I just can't gain enough information about a piece of property -from an aerial photo and a topo map - to determine the best places to hunt for deer, none the less a particular large racked buck.

So - my answer is - I would not hunt it - without doing some glassing and/or field scouting - first. And at least taking into scout where the preferred food sources are that day, which phase of the rut the deer are in, and the weather conditions that day.
Because of the way I hunt, and with my personal understanding of deer behavior - It is kind of and unfair scenario (trick question) for me - because I know weather is a big factor in when and where deer move - no matter where I hunt - I want to take into account the habitat and the wind, also the rut phase the deer are in, the amount of hunting pressure there might be in the surrounding areas, which might affect "where and when" the deer come onto the property I am on, ande Anything else that may affect deer activity that day.

I've not had a situation where I could not scout (at least a bit - say "all day" before the hunt). BUT, going in basically blind - I'd choose a site - depending on what the weather was doing the day of the hunt.

I'd go to low-lying, protected or wooded areas if the wind was above 10-15 mph - and I'd set up closer to where I think downwind-bedding areas are (the downwind side of the hill). If there was medium to heavy precipitation - I'd look to hunt near areas with overhead cover, and expect the deer not to move too far.

If it was hot I'd expect the deer to be in or near the heaviest overhead vegetation (for shade, and possibly in areas where the wind might cool them off in the shade, or in or near water (the lake or swamp if there is one). I'd also expect them to move during the cooler part of the day, with them (and me) playing the wind and thermals for morning and evening hunts.

My plans depend on how much time I have to glass, field stalk, and the sign I see - both before the hunt, and while I'm hunting - and my plans and hunting locations may change based on what occurs each day, and what I find, or see each day.

First thing I would do is, pick as many spots (up high - like I do elk hunting) as needed - to see as much of the property as I could, and glass it both sunset an sunrise - several days (or weekends) just prior to peak breeding in that area - then I'd narrow down my field scouting to the areas where I saw the biggest buck. Or - if no buck shows - possibly where I saw the most amount of doe activity, or I might just go with my "gut".

Next I'd try to hunt the week of peak scraping, or the week before peak breeding - when the bucks are still fairly predictable as they go about making and checking scrapes .

If there is forge (in the form of agricultural crops or other food sources) in the area, and depending on which way the wind in that area is blowing, and If I could scout the area around the property, and knowing that older bucks like to bed down on the downwind side of hills (during the day), I'd look for a rub route leading up onto any thick cover (especially wooded ridges), I'd look for a buck core area on the downwind side of those ridges, and if a stand site was close to the core area (but not in it) I'd setup there in the evening to see if the buck walks along it's rub route and get a shot at it. I also want to know what type of forage is available to the deer - in the nearby area.; such as agricultural fields, and were they cut/harvested lately - i.e., if there is an alfalfa field; is it still growing up, or has it been cut and baled within the last week; or has it been cut, baled and has started to grow back - with new, lush, tasty, green growth in it? It makes a difference where I may setup.
That is just my initial way of choosing a spot, if it doesn't work, I do more field scouting (actually looking for sign). Although I rely to a great deal on the type of habitat and the topography - to tell me where the deer may be - I also rely to a great extent on glassing, and a ton of field scouting - to locate prime travel routes, rub routes, scrapes, and daytime core areas (especially those of bucks).

If I can't scout at all before the hunt, I rely much more on my general knowledge of deer core aras, bedding sites and travel routes, and combine it with the use of a topo and an aerial - then choose a spot. If I don't get anything the first day, I quit hunting about 10 -12, and "still hunt/stalk" the property to look for sign - until about three hours before sunset. If I see something while "still hunting" - fine - if not I choose the best location based on what I've seen that day while scouting.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 AM

If you are willing to possibly learn something that might help you - you might want to read the post on "How Big is a Whitetails Home Range". It is interesting and informative.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

2poppa - Tr brings thi on himself by hiding under the alias and acting like posting is for the greater good is his motivation - rather then
promoting books, etc.

As far as standing in a corner etc, you may be a poppa but you are not mine - not going to happen any time soon.
Corners are for sheep.

Steve

Quick Reply: BEST WAY TO HUNT DEER !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.