Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Stocking?????

Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Stocking?????

Do you think that your states game commission should think about stocking deer ( sorta like they do for trout ). If you do, how many do you think they should put in?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Stocking?????

Interesting question. But how about trapping/transferringdeer? Similar concept. Because that's what they should be doing in Valley Forge National Park, not far from where I live. Instead of having "sharp shooters" come in and kill them because of GROSS overpopulation/overbrowsing problems, why not rocket net them or whatever they call that netting procedure, and relocate them to area's that are lacking in deer numbers as a result of overallocation of antlerless tags?OK, my rant is over.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

Interesting question. But how about trapping/transferringdeer? Similar concept. Because that's what they should be doing in Valley Forge National Park, not far from where I live. Instead of having "sharp shooters" come in and kill them because of GROSS overpopulation/overbrowsing problems, why not rocket net them or whatever they call that netting procedure, and relocate them to area's that are lacking in deer numbers as a result of overallocation of antlerless tags?OK, my rant is over.
Its revenue. There simply isnt any money in a states budget to do relocation... Muchcheaper to shoot them in overpopulated areas and limit hunting in low pop areas to achieve the same goals. WCL
Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also with CWD these days it would NEVER happen. WCL
Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

ORIGINAL: early in

....and limit hunting in low pop areas to achieve the same goals. WCL
That's the big problem in Pa, they're not limiting the number of antlerless tags in area's where they need to be doing this! Also, the concurrentbuck/doe season has to be stopped as well, because that's mainly what brought on this problem to begin with.Not being from Pa you might not know too much about this?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I know but we are WI and have had our fair share of issues the last couple years and are in a very similar situation toPA I'm betting. I agree those kinds of things need to change but in no way will they do it in the manner of relocating. I'm a wildlife management and ecology student so I'm exposed to my fair share of the issues and the politics of it. It sucks and beleive me many people in WI share your pain (I'm lucky enough to hunt big farms where pop. are good) and eventually things will be resolved but it will take time. Money is a huge issue and not only theDNR is to blame for low numbers in areas. The DNR doesnt forcehuntersto shoot deer. I'm not saying they haven't made bad management choices because they have in cases but it goes both ways and alot of hunters make bad management choices as well. WCL
Old 03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Yeah I know but we are WI and have had our fair share of issues the last couple years and are in a very similar situation toPA I'm betting. I agree those kinds of things need to change but in no way will they do it in the manner of relocating. I'm a wildlife management and ecology student so I'm exposed to my fair share of the issues and the politics of it. It sucks and beleive me many people in WI share your pain (I'm lucky enough to huntbig farmswhere pop.are good) and eventually things will be resolved but it will take time. Money is a huge issue and not only theDNR is to blame for low numbers in areas. The DNR doesnt forcehuntersto shoot deer. I'm not saying they haven't made bad management choices because they have in cases but it goes both ways and alot of hunters make bad management choices as well. WCL
I can tell by your mounts! But didn't you forget tosay private farms?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha yeah I guess I figured it was implyed with"farms"and I'm very thankful for it. I'd love to get into my ideas of how tags and regulations should be differentfor private and public lands but thats a topic for another day.I really thinkthe ideaswould solve alot of problems like what we both are seeing. WCL
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, not for my area. We have 15-30 deer per square mile (obviously that varies, by terrain and cover). But I can understand why some places might do that. Like already stated, it would be all about revenue for that state's game agancy. Sometimes thats good, often times thats bad
Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

Like already stated, it would be all about revenue for that state's game agancy. Sometimes thats good, often times thats bad
Yes, you guys are right, it would be a money issue like everything else! What gets me is if you go on the Regional Forum/Northeast Section and listen to some of the guys from Pabitching about huntinglicense fee increases, it makes you wonder. It seems like they want their cake and eat it too. They claim nothing is getting done to improve the hunting quality in Pa, so why should they be expected to paymore for a license. It's kind of like both ends against the middle, a "catch 22" if you will.
Many of these hunters are in area's where the deer hunting sucks! I do feel bad for them, as I live in a WMU where there are unlimited antlerless tags available. It's feast or famine in many area's of Pa. Time will tellI guess.

Quick Reply: Deer Stocking?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.