Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Looking For a Good First Shotgun >

Looking For a Good First Shotgun

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking For a Good First Shotgun

Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Spike

Default Looking For a Good First Shotgun

I'm just starting to get into hunting. I'm taking a mandatory safety course at the end of the month and I plan on getting my Class A in about a month. I'm looking into buying my first shotgun. It will probably end up being my all around gun for a while- turkey, deer, waterfowl and small game. I'm thinking about the 12 GA Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Combo with the 26" barrel and the 20" fully rifled barrel. I'm in Mass, so I have to hunt deer with a shotgun, so I'm thinking that the rifled barrel is a good choice. How is this for a entry level gun and would you recommend something different?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking For a Good First Shotgun

You can't go wrong with a Rem. 870 Express
Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Some have had problems with the super mag. The 870 Express Mag will shoot 3" shells. Do you need to shoot a 3.5" shell?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry1219

I'm just starting to get into hunting. I'm taking a mandatory safety course at the end of the month and I plan on getting my Class A in about a month. I'm looking into buying my first shotgun. It will probably end up being my all around gun for a while- turkey, deer, waterfowl and small game. I'm thinking about the 12 GA Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Combo with the 26" barrel and the 20" fully rifled barrel. I'm in Mass, so I have to hunt deer with a shotgun, so I'm thinking that the rifled barrel is a good choice. How is this for a entry level gun and would you recommend something different?
ThatRem 870 Express Super Mag (3 1/2")is part of my arsenal.I haven't shot it in years though.[&o] Great all around gun though!I never had any problems with mine.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can never go wrong with a Remington
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have any thoughts toward putting a scope on your shotgun, make sure you get a barrel with a cantilevered scope mount.

You'll be fine with a Mossberg 500 or Rem 870, though I've heard some complaints about 870chambers needing to be honed for consistent ejection.

I feel that 3" shell capacityis adequate, no need for 3.5.

Consider used guns for your first purchase. Mossberg 500s and Rem 870s last forever, and unless there are obvious damage issues, a used gun should serve you well enough to get started.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Rem. 870 is a good gun. I personally bought the Mossy 535 that I use as an all round gun. I went with Mossberg because of teh ambidextrious thumb safety instead of the crossbolt safety. I'm right handed but I like using my thumb to engage/disengage the safety so that pretty much limited me to Mossberg or Browning. I bought the 535 so I could shoot 3.5" shells but in reality the 500 probably would have been ok since I never shoot more than 3". I have shot an 870 as a slug gun and personally I think that my Mossburg is more accurateas a slug gun. If you go with the Mossberg however, I would not buy the combo like I did. By the the slug barrel separate because you can get a cantilever barrel pretty reasonably priced. The barrel that comes in the combo will require you to use the drilled and tapped reciever for mounting a scope and you will have to remove the scope when you change from using slugs to using shotshell. As long as you are carefull, a cantilever barrel will allow the scope to maintain zero when you switch barrels. (you still need to check your zero after changing back to your rifled barrel but it will be really close with the cantilevered barrrel). BTW yuo can pick up a new 500 or 535 mossberg for under $300.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the 870 for years and have never had a problem with it. It is a great gun for the money. Ive put thousands of shells through it and have never had a problem with the gun jamming once and I put my guns through a workout. The combo is a great deal and I would recommend that. Ive turned some of my buddies onto hunting and a few of them have gotten the Mossberg 500 combo. I think they paid around $300 for the combo at D icks sporting goods.The combo came with the regular barrel as well as the cantilever barrel. My only recommendation would be to switch out the scope it comes with. It will get the job done but the optics on the stock scope are less than optimal.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd actually recommend the same gun, but in 20 guage!

A 20 guage, 3 inch mag will take anything you are going to run into cleanly. I've also had better accuracy with 20 guage slugs than 12 guage.

You also have less recoil which makes practicing much more enjoyable.

both my sons have 20 guage and based on the performance they have I will be getting a 20 over a 12 if I buy another gun:

- two deer shot, neither moved an inch.
- two turkeys shot, both hit the ground, fluttered and didn't move (5 yards and 30 yards)
- MANY ducks and geese shot out to 40 yards.

the 870 has a screw in choke, and easy to find other chokes.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM

The model 870 is a very good choice for your first shotgun ive owned one for 39 yrs. and was a great game getter...but i would reccomend the 20 gage.

Quick Reply: Looking For a Good First Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.