Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Got my mount back from 1-17-09 >

Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my mount back from 1-17-09

ORIGINAL: isatarak

If I couldn't get a deer back in under a year, I would take it somewhere else. Either he has too much to do or isn't working hard enough. 6-9 months is a more reasonable time to wait.
Quality, not quantity.
Bigbulls, how much did your taxi charge???
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the buck. Sorry to hear about the mount, does look terrible.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigbulls, how much did your taxi charge???
$275 with out a plaque and $300 with a plaque. Like I said though it wasn't that I wanted a cheap mount this person was reccomended by a couple of different people.

I agree that over a year is too long and the taxidermist would then need to adjust his work schedule or turn away work. Taking too long can be just as detrimental as a bad mount.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Now I am really getting pissed off. I took it off the wall aftermy last postand started looking real realcloseat everything. I was looking at the back of the mount for the seam where I caped it out and there is no seam there. This isn't even my hide.
Great looking buck, to bad about the taxi work.... Seems like from what I've seen in the past, the faster the turn around time, the sloppier the taxi job.... I don't know that there is a magic 'timeframe' a mount should take, but personally, I would be suspicious of anyone turning around a mount in that type timeframe....

Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice mount. Congrats.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

He's not getting the cape "tanned". Their is a quicker method that some taxidermists use that allows them a quicker turn around time but it isn't the quaility of getting the cape sent off to a tannery.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:03 AM
Fork Horn

i think its nice looking. great buck.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

how do you get a mount done in a month? around here its a year out at best.
RR
Its called the guy had little to no other work. Time spent on a mount is about 13-14 hrs for me and that incldues tan time. 1 day skin, turn salt, 5 days-week to tan andshave,day to mount, week to 10 days to dry, day to finish, out the door. Thats ruffly a lil over two weeks. So if i started on the first head right away that came into my shop this season I could have it back to the guy in 2.5 weeks. However I wait till I get a few to save on form and material shipping. But if I had to or someone asked me to do it (with an appropraite fee of course), it would be done in that time. WCL
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Well, I took it back to him to tell him about my dissatisfaction. He admitted to using another cape. He said he thought he was doing me a favor by using a slightly larger form and larger cape as most of his customers wanted the deer to be as large as possible. I talked to him about everything I didn't like. He is completely remounting it and hopefully he will get it right this time. I provided pictures to him of what the deer looked like right after the kill and told him that I wanted my deer to look exactly like what it looks like in the picture.

Hedoes chargea lower price than some of the others around the area but I went to him because he was reccomended to me by others. It wasn't about spending less. We will see what he turns out this time. If it still doesn't look good I will be asking for my money back and take it to someone else. I seriously doubtI will ever use him again. Too bad because he is a very very nice person. His work just isn't up to par.
Wow....he used another cape without telling you or asking you. Amazing. Thats about like taking your car into a shop and them giving you back a different one. [&:]

I hope he does a nice job this time around....but honestly, I think I would have said ...where is my cape, and my money back.
Good luck BB...and nice buck.
Wooooooohhhhh wait a minute!!!!! Your having HIM redo it. I'd go straight back right now and get my money,rack, and cape and find me a better taxi. What do you think the next one will look like??????????? The same as the one you have except smaller bodied!!!!!! I wouldn't pay a $1 for that mount. Unfortunate mistake getting it done the first time by him, but shame on you for going back for more!! Hurry go save your cape.....WCL
Old 02-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Well I've run into some problems right now with the taxi I gave my deer to over a year ago. After I gave him my deer he got divorced, lost his daytime job, gambled/drank his money away, got married again and the rumors are flying around now that he doesn't have the money to buy forms to finish the mounts. I've tried to call him after getting his cell number from other customers and everytime he never answers I have left him a couple messages but no response. I finally got some good news about 3 weeks ago that he got one of my friends mounts done so it sounds like he finally is getting some done. I gave a 50% deposit and don't know what to do. I could wait for him to call and say he has it done or I could try and stop by his house and talk to him. He did good work and was reasonable on price and recommended by alot of people but he ran into problems in his life and his actions now are not really impressing me. I just don't know what to do.

Quick Reply: Got my mount back from 1-17-09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.