Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shot placement

Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shot placement

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

ORIGINAL: Zrabfan26

I always aim for the shoulder, unless I don't have the shot then I wait or go for the neck. I shoot a .243 and have never dropped a deer hit in the shoulder, and it wastes some meat, just a habit I guess.
That makes no sense. You always aim for the shoulder, but you have never dropped a deer hit in the shoulder? Am I reading this wrong? Anyway, I usually aim behind the shoulder, gun or bow.
Yeah the deer goes down after running 20-100 yards. When I said dropped I meant just that, dropped, on the spot.If I wouldn't get the deer this way I wouldn't shoot there anymore.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in the hills of ky, if I am hunting a holler and dont want the deer to run down a hill or into a thicket I shoot them in spine or the neck,depending on angle the crease between the neck and shoulder will work to. If the deer is coming strait at you with a rifle I aim at the v where the throat/neck meets the chest. A strait away shot gets a base of the neck shot. Basically I take out the central nervous system and a deer wont go anywhere. A heart lung shot is good but with that said sometimes they bolt like crazy with a heart shot.

hope this helps chris
Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

My point of aim depends on where I am hunting...

If I am on private land and the deer can run a little ways after the shot, then I aim just behind the shoulder.

If I am on public land or hunting in south-eastern Kentucky where the terrain is amazingly steep (and a deer can go about three counties, stone-dead, straight downhill in about 6 seconds), then I aim for the point of the shoulder. I have never had a deer take more than a single step after being hit in that location with my 7mm Remington Magnum...but I will admit the damage (and meat loss) is tremendous.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Teach Deer

My point of aim depends on where I am hunting...

If I am on private land and the deer can run a little ways after the shot, then I aim just behind the shoulder.

If I am on public land or hunting in south-eastern Kentucky where the terrain is amazingly steep (and a deer can go about three counties, stone-dead, straight downhill in about 6 seconds), then I aim for the point of the shoulder. I have never had a deer take more than a single step after being hit in that location with my 7mm Remington Magnum...but I will admit the damage (and meat loss) is tremendous.
i'd have to agree,about the 7mm mag. mine will blow a shoulder off of a deer. i just don't need that much gun for deer. i'll stick with my 270win.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:28 AM

I aim behind the shoulder.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 AM
Spike

Behind the shoulder is the way to go. If you hit the shoulder you end up ruining a fair amount of meat. And a double lung shot will actually kill a deer faster than a heart shot.