Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots

Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Head Shots

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

Id rather have a gutshot deer than a deer with it's jaw blown off

Frankly, I'd rather not have either. I'd rather know that I am sufficiently proficient with my firearm and sufficiently selective of my shots that I'm not going to wound the deer ... Thus far, I've only shot one deer twice, and that wasn't really necessary. But, since he was still standing for more than 5 seconds after being shot through the heart/lungs with a 7mm Mag, I put another in him...
Well me neither, but i just said that of the sake of the argument.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

When folks in my area talk about his topic, they always bring in the possibility of exposure to chronic wasting disease into the picture. I have always passed on this type of shot. For me, too much can go wrong (and that goes for the 500 yard shots also).

Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's called killing. Hunt long enough and kill enough deer and you will eventually make a shot regardless of whether you shoot shoulder, neck, lung, heart, or head, that you will cause the animal to suffer because for whatever reason you missed your mark. . . .it happens.
Thats frankly one of the reasons I quit hunting with dogs and shotguns . . .I couldn't consistently humanely take deer as I was frequently hitting them wrong or missing all together, who knows?
Hanging in a tree, the animal usually never knows your there and you can wait for a good shot opportunity. A lot comes with experiance watching deer and how they move, time spent shooting, and know your terrain.
Now for my "old man" statement . . .I'm dang near 60 yrs old and have been harvesting deer 50 of those yrs. I don't even know how many I've taken. Can count on one hand the number I've head shot. Since I've been still hunting (about 30 yrs) I've averaged 5 deer a yr . . . .every one of I gave the respect of every effort to make a well placed shot, recovery, and immediate processing. I still learn something everyday in the woods but I know what my skill level is and my limitations.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

no head shot for me i just try to hit them first of all because i shoot off hand and i sit i deep thick forest
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I love head shooting deer with my .22 hornet!
But for real, this has been beat to death and no one is going to give in, some of us here support it under the right conditions, others do not.
-Jake
Old 01-30-2009, 03:43 AM

When polled, 75% of drivers believe they have above average driving skills...

I think this applies to hunters too (especially on the internet ). When I visit my local rifle range, I see less than 1/2 who can keep their groups within 6 inches at 100 yards. Off a bench. Most of the ones who can do this think they're doing great and are good to go. Maybe the guys I see are below average, but I doubt it.

Now consider the targets: How big is the area you're shooting at to get a clean kill? For a head shot it's what, 1 inch? 2? I don't know about you guys, but the deer I see move their heads quite a bit. Unpredictably. They turn their heads to look at every little noise. The put their heads up in the air, down to the ground, etc. etc. The other target (the vitals) is by most accounts about 6 inches on a whitetail. Doesn't move very fast or unpredictably.

I believe that it'ssafe to say that it is far more likely that an average or even a good shot can make an ethical shot on a six inch, more or less stationarytarget rather than a1-2 inch, unpredictable target.

For me, within 100 yards, with little wind and a good rest, I know that I can hit a 1-2 inch target. I can't know if there will be a little gust of wind, or if that deer will move its head just as I squeeze the trigger. I'm honest with myself, understand probability, and am not worried about wasting1/4lb of meat. If a good shot doesn't present itself, I don't take the shot. If I were hunting as a primary means of feeding my family maybe it'd be different, but I'm not, and I'll wager you aren't either.

I shoot for the vitals. Works every time (so far).

-nosualc

Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: tyleryeags

no head shot for me i just try to hit them first of all because i shoot off hand and i sit i deep thick forest
You just "try to hit them" where?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

in the vitals
Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM

If the deer is close range why not shoot him in the head.....i think you answered your own question.i have done it myself,...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM

For less ruined meat, I'd say hunt with a bow. It doesn't blast shrapnel all over the place, and you dont have to aim for the head. Now if the .243 is all you have, I beg you to be careful. Many a hunter blows off the lower jaw of his prey ( a pig once came into my house(AHH!!) with half his jaw missing...) and that can ruin a great hunting trip, knowing youve condemned a beautiful animal to a painful death.

Keep your shot sure, and make the kill painless. I wish you the best of luck.

NextGenHunter

Quick Reply: Head Shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.