Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property? >

How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property?

ORIGINAL: skb2706

ORIGINAL: fishguts

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Ask permission? Just go hunt and when the landowner eventually stops to talk to you, ask him then...

Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
That is without a doubt the absolute worst advise I have ever read. In fact in some places in the US it can land you in jail, lose your guns, your auto and your freedom just because you don't have the balls or you are to lazyto find out who owns the land and ask.

Find out who takes care of the land, lots of farmland is owned by absentee land owners so you need to know who is the caretaker. Ask them as you would want others to ask you, be polite and be able to accept no for an answer.
I agree that is crapy advise . Just going will get you in trouble. Ask to owner in person
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find a way to make contact with this person and get in their good graces ahead of asking time, it would probably do you well. If you have a mutual friend or acquaintance or some way of meeting him on a positive basis apart from hunting, it makes it easier.

Case in point: I've been looking at a plat map and ariel photos of some potential hunting spots and noticed that some of the owners have last names that match those of students at the school I teach. A discreet question got me the information that at least one landowner is a grand parent of a student. When it comes time to ask, that connection will help make me seem less of a stranger. Better yet, if I see that student sitting with an elderly gentlemen at a basketball game, I'll be sure to introduce myself and chat a bit.

good luck!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: fishguts
ORIGINAL: salukipv1
Ask permission? Just go hunt and when the landowner eventually stops to talk to you, ask him then...
Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
At first, I thought this was a bad joke.

Why do you suppose so much ground is posted? Why do you suppose thatit's harder and harder to get permission?

I'm a landowner. I post my land because of nitwits like you two. If you have good manners and you'reman enough to ask my permission, chances are I'll say yes. Don't ask, and it's trespassing, I call the sheriff.

To do otherwise is wrong, and trying to justify it is wrong headed.

-nosualc
Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read the hole thing but when you ask the owner for permission be sure to tell him where you live. Sometimes it's better to be a neighbor than just some dude off the street.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM

If the farmer has cattle, you might ask "is it okay if I bow hunted your property?" AFTER introducing yourself and telling them everything people have already mentioned.

If he had it in his mind he didn't want people hunting his land because someone might injure his cattle with a high powered rifle he might think about it because you'd be using a bow. Also offer to give him a hand around the farm when he could use it.

If he lets you bow hunt and finds you to be a responsible guy he'll probably let u hunt with a rifle or muzzle loader after a while.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Salukipu1 and fishguts,

If I could I would kick both of you morons off this forum. Telling someone to break the law? Where I come from that's a reflection upon the type of people you truly are. If you are trespassing I hope you get caught and the landowner prosecutes to the furthest extent.

People like you ruin if for everyone. When a landowner catches you trespassing, you are representing all hunters and I wouldn't doubt if that landowner never lets another hunter hunt the property.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM

From a landowner's perspective. Don't come around this time of year. It's cold out. I don't want to be standing outside chit chatting this time of year. Don't come in the fall either. Hunting seasons are already in swing and I have all my hunters lined up already. Come in the summer. There is lots of work to do around the farm that would be MOST appreciated.

Also, if I am full up with deer hunters, ask about coyote or varmit hunting. No one ever asks about that. BUT once I get to know you, your hunting ethics and how well you follow my land's rules, then you are pretty much assured that I will give you permission to hunt deer the NEXT season.

Actually the rule that gets broken the most is what I feel very simple. Since I hunt my land too, if you want to hunt, you have to call me the day before and leave a message that you will be hunting. Is that so hard? It's the rule that gets broken the most and pisses me off the most when that happens. Well, off topic a bit.

Good luck with your search for land to hunt.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I spend a lot of time on my land throughout the year making brush piles for game habitat, mushroom hunting, scouting, hiking, etc.If somebody just happened by with an ice chest in their vehicle and chatted with me and gave me a couple of beers, they would likely have pretty good luck with eventually getting around to asking permission, especially after the third beer on a hot day. The same thing would work with other landowners I know, just substitute a couple ice coldsodas instead. Lots of the older folks out in the country just like tovisit and talk. So, taking your time and spending time with them instead of just blurting out a request to hunt will often work pretty good. Lots of folks are also suckers for wanting to see kids get out and hunt. So, having a 10 year old boy with you might workwell, even if you have to borrow him[8D]
Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

I once gave an old couple an apple pie to let me park on their land while I hunted nearby. It's better to make friends than enemies.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I'll agree with what most everybody has posted. Except about the just hunting and asking for permission later. I find that if you just knock on a door and ask, you've got a 50% chance. They can only say yes or no, but not asking permission is not only unethical, it's trespassing.

Quick Reply: How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.