HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/284418-how-should-i-ask-someone-if-i-can-hunt-their-property.html)

ozfest5 01-27-2009 04:25 PM

How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property?

Behind my house, there is a ton of woods that is owned by some farmer behind all of it. Once I find out who the owner is, how should I go about asking to hunt on his property? Should I write a letter, call, knock on door? What should I say?

Thanks

MOhunter46 01-27-2009 04:31 PM

RE: How should I ask someone if I can hunt on their property?

Deffinatly ask in person. Maybe offer to do some work for them. Also offer them some of the meat of the game you harvest. And if they say no, just say thank you for your time and walk away, no need to be rude.

early in 01-27-2009 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

Deffinatly ask in person. Maybe offer to do some work for them. Also offer them some of the meat of the game you harvest. And if they say no, just say thank you for your time and walk away, no need to be rude.
All great advice. You might also tell him you would just bebowhunting! That really does make a difference.;) Where do you live? I'll come over and ask for us.:D:D:D

ken3g 01-27-2009 05:12 PM

Also let them knowwho you are, where you live and anybodyyou know that may know them and you for a reference. PLus give phone number if they may need to call you. And as early in said tell them if you are only going to hunt archery and spring turkey, what kind of stands you use. I did these things this season and got on a great farm, that was under new ownership. I had hunted this farm 12 yrs ago for 1 yr, but cause I shot the big buck that yr, the grandson didn't like that, I was told no more hunting on that farm. Got nice 8 pt this archery season on the farm. And ask owner wher you can park, plus drive your truck. Many hunters don't do these things, the farmer will be happy to let you know these things.

bowhuntn87 01-27-2009 05:17 PM

yup... definitely ask in person. be very polite and courteous. you need thick skin for going door to door. you'll more often get a no than a yes, at least in my experience. 99% of people are incredibly easy to talk to, and most of the time i end up chatting with the landowner/farmer for a few minutes. even if they do say no, they'll have a positive view of hunters after that if you're polite and courteous. thank them for taking their time even if they do say no. when they do say yes, it definitely pays off big. most of my best hunting spots are those that i've had to ask permission to hunt. its worth it.

salukipv1 01-27-2009 05:31 PM

Ask permission? Just go hunt and when the landowner eventually stops to talk to you, ask him then...

Jimmy S 01-28-2009 07:29 AM

You have been given good advice here, especially being polite and respectful.
One thing I would like to add. When you do approach the landowner to ask his or her permission to hunt their property, don't wear hunting clothes - no orange and no camo.
It has been my experience that being well groomed and polite goes a long way.

fishguts 01-28-2009 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Ask permission? Just go hunt and when the landowner eventually stops to talk to you, ask him then...

Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

NateN 01-28-2009 08:16 AM

My family has a 120 acre farm. For years before my dad bought it there was no posted signs and everybody hunted it. We posted the land 10 years ago. Everybody in the area who used to hunt it has at one point or the other asked to hunt it. We are always pretty welcoming to letting archers hunt the farm. Gun season is a different story... We do have a few standing rules that the hunters must abide by. Take ethical shots and track your butt off if you hit one. We had one guy hit 4 deer in one season and never found any of them. We found 3 during rifle season this year. The main rule is if you are going to hunt you better be available to cut wood for my dad. Believe it or not but this actually deters quite a few people. Also, you DO NOT mess with another person's stand. Everybody who hunts the farm must talk to each other to get the general vicinity where the other people are hunting.

Anyway sorry to ramble, but as long as you are sincere and can offer some help to the farmers, even if they say no they will be open to being asked again. If you are a dick then you should forget about it.

One other thing you might want to ask is: Is the farm posted and patrolled randomly. If it is, offer your services of walking the farm to help out.

skb2706 01-28-2009 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: fishguts

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
That is without a doubt the absolute worst advise I have ever read. In fact in some places in the US it can land you in jail, lose your guns, your auto and your freedom just because you don't have the balls or you are to lazyto find out who owns the land and ask.

Find out who takes care of the land, lots of farmland is owned by absentee land owners so you need to know who is the caretaker. Ask them as you would want others to ask you, be polite and be able to accept no for an answer.