Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 "Shed Horns O'plenty this spring", I hope.... >

"Shed Horns O'plenty this spring", I hope....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Shed Horns O'plenty this spring", I hope....

Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default "Shed Horns O'plenty this spring", I hope....

“Shed Horns O’plenty This Spring”, I Hope. [/align]
Well it’s almost that time of year again. A fewdeer have dropped their horns, and others will soon. The elk are still a ways out from loosing theirs, but I might as well get the legs back into shape looking for deer sheds, winter killsand maybe scout out where a few bulls are spending their winter.

I really enjoy my late Winter and Spring shed hunting trips. It gives me an excuse (as if I need one) to explore new ground, burn off winter fat, spend time with friends and family,andget a feel for what game made it through the winter. I also tie it in with other activities in the spring such as mushroom picking, bear hunting, and turkey hunting. For you dog owners out there you might even try and train your pup to find horns, most dogs take to it fairly quickly, it’s a great way to spend time with man’s best friend.

Last year I had a great season of shed hunting. It started with my buddy having sharp eyes, andfinding the nice 4 point set in the photo above right from the road. I ended up finding many nice Whitetail sheds, anda nice 320 Elk set. I found one side with my young cousin while chasing a Tom Turkey, and 3 trips later managed to find the opposite side.

One great thing about shed horns, is all the things you can do with them. You can sell them for some cash, decorate with them, use them in craft projects, etc……. A friend of mine who is a taxidermist suggested mounting my elk sheds on a synthetic skull. The finished result was much nicer than I had imagined, and now it graces my living room wall.

As with any outdoor pursuit, the more you go, the more proficient you become. Over the years you learn which areas are more productive for finding sheds, and you train your eyes to pick up on that glint of horn in the jumble of vegetation.With shed hunting even first timers and little kids can be successful. It just takes a determination to walk the hills, and a keen eye. Just be careful though, because after you find a couple sheds, you may develop an addiction to Horn Hunting.

A few pointers for first time shed horn hunters. If you think of more, let me know and I will add them.
1. Use good binos and/or spotting scopes. You can canvas a lot of open ground quickly with good glass.
2. Wear good waterproof boots. Horn hunting is a pursuit where “He who walks farthest and longest wins” holds true. Ground you cover = number of horns you find.
3. Cut banks of roads, fence lines, and along other obstacles are great palces in which to locate sheds. The impact of jumping over obstacles can jar a loose horn off.
4. If you find a large deer or elk shed, chances are the other side is close by. The imbalance created by loosing one horn causes large horned animals to attempt to break off remaining horn sooner than those with small horns. Canvas the nearby area, only thing better than a shed, is a shed set.
5. When going down steep hillsides check the uphill side of large logs for kills, especially inthe bottom of draws where ridges come together. Wounded and distressed animals tend to go down hill and often die or are caught by predators on the uphill side of large logs.
6. Go slow, and methodically cover the ground with your eyes. Nothing better than finding a horn your buddy just stepped over.
7. You tend to find a lot of horns in places where you start to feel like you should turn around because you’ve gone to far. If you are in a spot where you think no one would be ambitious enough to go, then that’s where you need to be.
8. Keep an eye on the game and the snow levels during the winter. This way you will know where the largest amount of game was concentrated when they lost their horns.
9. Get a buddy who doesn’t like to hike, but loves to drive around the woods to go with you. In our area you can cover a lot more ground by not having to double back to your vehicle, and instead have a ride waiting on thru hikes.
10. Train your dog to bring horns to you. Give them horns to play fetchwith as a pup, then they will naturally start picking them up as they find them in the woods.
11. Have Fun…………………….
[/align][/align]
Old 01-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Shed Horns O'plenty this spring", I hope....

Good pointers! I'm usually not to successful when I go out shed hunting. Mainly because I'm looking at rubs and scrapes still. But I do find them when I'm not looking.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post ~ Thanks!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's some good info thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM

Great advice millagerobert! Sounds like you've got the shed addiction. I think I mentioned this on another thread, but I got a shed hunting DVD for Christmas called Go Shed Hunting (www.goshedhunting.com). It's got a TON of great information in it. Really opened up my eyes to some things I wanna do different this year. Finally managed to get my first of the year the other day. Hoping for more!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

been cold here in northern mn, crap load of snow and -20 below about everyday. waiting for it to warm up here and thaw out a little before I go ou t.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, now I have another thing that I am looking forward to doing way too early in the year!! Temps are 10 dgrees today and 18" still on the ground. If the snow doesn't melt here until February I know that first day the snow completely disappears they will be everywhere!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Anybody finding anymore sheds?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I found one six point shed last weekend. A whitetail was watching me when I found the horn, so took a pic of the deer through the tines of the shed. Lots of competition in the woods looking for sheds this spring, I guess all the laid off workers need something to do.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good pointers! My dad found a set of sheds from an 8 pointer within 20 feet of each other down in FL 2 weeks ago.

Quick Reply: "Shed Horns O'plenty this spring", I hope....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.