HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I need advice on my first deer rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/283765-i-need-advice-my-first-deer-rifle.html)

Sentiax 01-22-2009 09:58 AM

I need advice on my first deer rifle

Hey everyone, as you can see I'm new to the forum and am also a new hunter. I just got my license a couple of days ago and I plan on starting with small game like squirrel and rabbit etc. I'm 18 and am attending Auburn University in Alabama. Deer hunting is huge around here and my birthday is coming up in March which means some extra moolah from the family. I'd like to buy a deer rifle with it. I'm paying for college out of my own pocket, so as you could probably guess I'm on a strict budget. 400$ is an absolute maximum, and I'd prefer to know if there are cheaper options. I also want a rifle that can take medium sized game animals like fox and coyote without damaging the pelt too much. Dick's Sporting Goods carry's a Scoped savage that comes in either .270 or .30-06 for 400$. I think that's a nice price for the inclusion of a scope. I just feel like it could be a little over powered, which is why I decided to ask. Anyone that knows of any better and cheaper options I would greatly appreciate your recomendations.

ipscshooter 01-22-2009 10:11 AM

RE: I need advice on my first deer rifle

You probably won't find a lower price than that for a rifle/scope combo. The scopes that come with those combo packages aren't usually very good.

.270 and .30-06 are extremely popular cartridges for deer, and are versatile enough to tackle most other game animals in North America. Other cartridges you might want to consider for the chores you have described: .243, .25-06, .257 Roberts, 7mm-08, .308. You don't say whether you've got much experience with firearms. So, I don't know whether recoil may be an issue for you. To me, a .243 is a lot more fun to shoot, particularly in practice sessions at the range, than a .30-06.

Sentiax 01-22-2009 10:25 AM

I'm a new hunter but I have a great deal of firearms experience. I've shot most types of rifles and military service weapons as well as some foreign assault rifles and the like. Recoil is no big deal, thanks for the consideration though. As for the not so great scope, I figured that would be the case but I just don't have the money to get a 100-200$ one so I'll just have to make do. I'm a pretty good shot and practice with rifles to the point of where I know how to compensate based on wind and distance like second nature for that particular gun. I'm definitely not world class or anything I just practice till I'm comfortable. Thanks for the info. More opinions welcome

jerry d 01-22-2009 10:29 AM

Welcome to the site.There's alot of knoledgeable hunters here that are a wealth of information.
I just bought a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic w/a 3-9x40 scope @ Walmart for $447 plus a $40 rebate,total $407.Not a bad deal IMO.
I bought it in .243 cal. I'm using the gun for whitetails & ocasionally coyotes.I've never owned a Savage but some guys on this site like them.Another gun that I thought was a good value for the money was the Weatherby Vanguard,$400 but it didn't come with a scope.
Good luck in your purchase.

ipscshooter 01-22-2009 10:40 AM

Another bolt action to consider is the new Marlin. I think the model number is XL-7. The local Academy's have them on sale for $279.99, and stock them in .270 and .30-06. That only leaves about a hundred bucks in the budget for scope and mounts though... again, a bit on the low end... I have heard that Marlin will be bringing out a short-action version chambered in the .308-based cartridges soon.

Good luck!

Sentiax 01-22-2009 10:48 AM

That is a good deal. Ill have to check it out.

hossdaniels 01-22-2009 12:16 PM

weatherby vanguard, remington 700 (NOT 710 or 770), maybe even a savage can be found for $400. Throw a cheap $30 scope on there untill you graduate. Dont spend more than that on the scope, unless you are going to spend over $200 on a decent scope. You will save $ in the long run.

Sentiax 01-22-2009 12:35 PM

Thanks, yeah I'm looking at a savage for 400 w/scope at dick's. If I don't get one with a scope I'll probably just end up throwing this simmons 3-9x40 that's currently on my HMR on it.

mikybigbuck 01-22-2009 01:05 PM

another idea would be the nef handi-rifle...it comes in alot of caliber choices and additional barrels can be purchased for $ 100 if you want to change....they are currently about 249 in wood and 259 in synthetic...7mm08 is my favorite short action caliber...its basicly a 243 ,with a little extra punch; but you can still shoot 100 grain bullets...it comes with a scope mount, and you can pick up a decent scope (simmons, bushnell) at sportsman's guide for less than a $100..buy some $20 weaver style rings, and you've got a good little gun for less than $400..i've got one in 45/70, that i use when i hunt in real thick stuff...ifi spent the 100 on the extra barrel,i would get the 7mm08...happy hunting..

xkmorris 01-22-2009 01:11 PM

You could also check your local pawn shops. Sometimes you can find a good gun in them. That is where I got my Winchester Model 70 3006 some 20 years ago for 275.00 with scope. Can't tell you how many deer I have killed with that gun.

srwshooter 01-22-2009 01:15 PM

get the savage in 270win.

Sentiax 01-22-2009 01:44 PM

There's only one good pawn/gun shop here in Auburn and they are really rude and overpriced. There is a good one in Huntsville though, where I'm from so maybe when I'm up there for spring break (right after my birthday) I can check out some of the stuff they have. I'm not sure what the nef handi-rifle is. Sounds like a good deal though. Thanks for all the reply's guys

Jasonlester 01-22-2009 02:35 PM

I personaly think the 270 is what I would buy. Find a decent rifle chambered in it. The Rem 700 is a proven gun for sure. Haven't shot to many savage rifles. But I'm sure they are ok too. I've got a good number of Remington firearms and love every one.

As for a scope I have used several scopes under the 100 mark. Simmons are pretty decent for less money. But stay away from Tasco. I've had and heard other peoples acounts of the lenses and/or cross hairs coming loose or falling out... Talk about worthless junk. Turned me off from tasco at all. I hear thier high end stuff is OK but the cheap stuff is crap...JMO of course.

Good luck ....Oh and don't forget to post pics when you get it....:D

Sentiax 01-22-2009 02:38 PM

I've been reading up on savages. They seem like really good guns for the money. Apparently they're pretty accurate for being "budget" guns in some cases. My .22 is a savage and I love it. I'll have to check out the remington 700 I've gotten a lot of recommendations for it lately. Thanks.

nosualc 01-22-2009 02:54 PM

Jeff Cooper used to quote Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Sage advice, especially for a first rifle.

-nosualc

Sentiax 01-22-2009 02:59 PM

Hahahaha, wow, that's a great quote. I've got to remember that one.

Summitsitter 01-22-2009 03:28 PM

I would like to "second" several opinions, which would have been my recommendation.

The .30-06 is the way to go if you're planing to travel outside of bama for larger game. However, If you staying in bama, the .270 is a great rifle. However, I'd still recommend the .243 over the .270. Especially if you're shooting predators.

Glass is just as, if not more important that the rifle. I would recommend the NEF / H&R Handi-Rifle. It's a no frills single shot rifle that is well made ( I have one). I would then put a $150 scope on it, which is still fairly "cheap" scope. This will give to a 200 - 300 yard rifle for anything in bama.

Sentiax 01-22-2009 04:25 PM

I'll have to see if I can find any of these rifles. I haven't seen them anywhere. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

hometheaterman 01-22-2009 04:56 PM

Our Wal-Mart had and I say had as I called about it the other night and they said they didn't have any but I'm not sure if he just didn't know they had them or they really didn't as he didn't have time to look and told me they had 770's. However, when I was in there a week and a half or so ago I saw a Remington model 700 in a .270 in synthetic stock on clearance for $300. I wish I had bought it. I would have if I had of had the extra money. I have a buddy that has one in wood and a older one and he absolutely loves that thing.

I've not had the best luck with my Remington 870 but other than that I've had okay luck with Remington guns. Maybe check and see what Wal-Mart has.

Another friend bought a Savage in a .243 there also I think he payed something like $419 and his is a nice looking rifle and has a scope. He likes the scope and is a very good shot with it. Infact one of the guys that's probably the best shot or one of the best shots I know was saying how much he liked the gun and scope. I know some guys on here say they are crap though. If they fail you can just upgrade. More than likely however, they would last you a while or at least long enough to save up some to upgrade. Heck I have a $30 Tasco well $31 something now that has been good to me on my Muzzle loader. I like it better than my $223 Leupold VX-I and have had better luck with it. So if you got a gun with no scope you could get something like that to get you by.

That being said I bought a Browning BAR 30-06 for my first large caliber rifle. As in bigger than .22 caliber and I like the 30-06 round a lot for deer.I like the gun but it's very picky on which ammo it shoots accurately. That is to get good groups. I'm also not sure that you could find one in your budget. I wanted a semi auto that's why I got this but I'm not sure if I was on a tight budget I'd get a semi auto or pay anywhere near what that gun cost.

DeerandbearhoG 01-22-2009 06:49 PM

Hold off on the savage until the new Accustock models hit the shelf (if they havent already) Or get at least get a wood stock model. Ive owned several savages but the synthetic stocks were awful.

for a scope, Check out natchez shooters supply, they have a great scope on sale now for around 75$, theyre called intensity optics 3-10X44 ,they are the old simmons atec (I think) before Meade took over simmons. I would compare those scopes to a bushnell 3200 elite or nikon buckmaster. I came across them the other day and were actually still in stock, at that point at least. I would have snatched up a couple if I wasnt spending all my $$$ hording ammo:D

Sentiax 01-22-2009 07:14 PM

My knowledge of scopes is nearly zilch so I didn't really understand most of what you said. I won't be getting the rifle till march anyway, so I know they'll be out by then. I have a savage .22 with a synthetic and I like it all right. You have to remember I'm not quite an enthusiast yet I just want something cheap and basic to give it a try with. Thanks for the encouragement.

DeerandbearhoG 01-22-2009 07:32 PM

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...&src=tpMfg

What I was trying to say is, that this scope at 75$ is the best scope deal Ive seen in a while, and IMO, is comparable w/ many scopes in 200$ range! Throw it on a 300$ wood accutrigger savage , mossberg atr or marlin xl7 and youll have a darn good rig for 400$!

Sentiax 01-22-2009 07:37 PM

Man I wish I had the money to buy it and the gun. Oh well, maybe something will come up around March.

lda105 01-23-2009 04:00 PM

instead of going to one of the big box stores they going to a local gun dealer they may have a quality used gun for a good price. with the economical situation right now ppl might be giving up a few fire arms for the cash

hometheaterman 01-23-2009 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: lda105

instead of going to one of the big box stores they going to a local gun dealer they may have a quality used gun for a good price. with the economical situation right now ppl might be giving up a few fire arms for the cash
My experience with most gun shops is you can usually go to Wal-Mart and buy the same gun brand new for about the price of a used one at a gun shop or not much more if it is any more. I know of one good gun shop but the majority I've dealt with are rip offs. Even the one I know of you could get a 10/22 I looked at for about $30 cheaper at Wal-Mart. On ammo and stuff they are sometimes less than Wal-Mart sometimes more so it depends on what but usually if they are more it's barely. Wal-Mart has some of the best prices i've seen on guns if they have what you want. They just have a limited selection. I like gun shops but honestly if you are looking for the best deal possible it more than likely isn't going to be there. I paid about $70 more for my 12 gauge from the gun shop so they could order the wood version. Wal-Mart had the camo version about $70 cheaper than what I paid. The funny thing was the camo version was more at the gun shop. This isn't the one I like to deal with. I've bought one scope from them and 2 guns and have problems with all the transactions.They had horrible service when I had issues with them so that made up my mind from now on I more than likely am just going to buy it where it's cheapest which is usually Wal-Mart if they have it. If not Dicks and the big stores are usually the next cheapest although sometimes I can find them at gun shops in that price range. I have luckily found a gun shop now I really like that I'd probably pay slightly more for a gun to get it from them but if it was more than $10-20 more I'd just go to the cheaper place.

Sentiax 01-23-2009 07:36 PM

Yeah, that's generally what I've found too with the whole gun store vs Walmart or Dick's. I like Dick's a lot, they have a huge selection and are priced reasonably in my opinion. I got my Savage Mark II .22 LR at Walmart for 115$ and my Mossberg 817 HMR at Dick's for 130. I feel like I got a good deal on both. I haven't looked at any of Walmart's higher caliber rifles but next time I'm in the one with the guns I'll have to check it out. I think more than likely I'll end up getting the 400$ Savage from Dick's though. Hopefully it'll still be 400$, with our whole "awesome" new President and all.

oldsmellhound 01-24-2009 10:07 AM

I don't think you'll be sorry if you go with Savage- they have always been hands down the most accurate rifles in my experience. You can also find a Stevens 200 which is basically a Savage without the accu-trigger. If you want to go for coyote & fox, I'd definetly go with something smaller than a .270, though. The .243 would probably be the best choice for what you want, but the 7mm-08, 6.5x55 & .260 Remington would be good choices too.

Don't get hung up on a scope- find a Simmons and throw it on and it'll work fine. I have a $40 Simmons on my muzzleloader that works just great for me and I've never had any issues on it. You can always upgrade to a higher-end scope years later when you are able.

Sentiax 01-24-2009 01:57 PM

Yeah, I love my savage .22. And I kinda was going to just get a cheaper scope anyway. Dick's has a 3-9x40 that I have on my HMR right now, but will get moved to the new rifle when I get it. Thanks again. I'm thinking about getting a .270 in march for deer and then an AR15 with some money I'll make over the summer for coyote.

rustynobles 01-25-2009 08:46 AM

Dick's Sporting goods offers an olive drab gun with three interchangeable barrels, sounds like it would work great for your first rifle/shotgun. I think it's by Rossi, it's called the Trifecta. It has a .223 barrel, a .22 barrel, and a 20 gauge barrel. Last I checked it was less than $300. Of course it will be single shot, but if you're a good shot, you won't need more than one anyway. So whatever you choose, good luck in your future hunting.

shottyhunter24 01-25-2009 10:03 AM

i know not many people would suggest this but 30-30

Colorado Luckydog 01-25-2009 05:30 PM

Go for the Savage .270. Great for deer, good enough for elk or moose. (if you ever decide to hunt them) Federal came out with a 100 grain shell that shoots just as flat or fast as any factory 22.250 shell out there. It may not be that fur friendly but it will do the job. However,if you are just going to hunt deer and smaller, the .243 would probably be the best gun of choice. JMO! Let us know what you decide.

Sentiax 01-29-2009 10:27 AM

I think that's what I'm probably going to do. It seems like a good deal, and I've been reading up in it even more and it's positive reviews. Thanks for the help guys.

vadeer 01-29-2009 12:20 PM

What I was trying to say is, that this scope at 75$ is the best scope deal Ive seen in a while, and IMO, is comparable w/ many scopes in 200$ range! Throw it on a 300$ wood accutrigger savage , mossberg atr or marlin xl7 and youll have a darn good rig for 400$!
Re: TheMarlin XL7, and the mounts that come with the gun,any special rings you recommend for aone inch4-12X40 or 44 scope?

UncleNorby 01-30-2009 09:20 AM

For where you are, I'd say .243. With different bullets its about theideal compromise for a deer/predator gun.

nslick21 01-31-2009 11:28 AM

Id go with a short mag.. any cal. will do great!

glockman55 01-31-2009 04:37 PM

You can't go wrong with the Savage, I have two, one is the Mod. 116, in 7mm.mag, and the other is the mod. 111, .270package scope deal like your thinking about. They come with a Simmons 3X9X40, 8 point scope. Low end but work fine until you might want to up grade. If you go with this one, make sure you re-tighten all the screws on the scope/mount. Mine were loose, I changed the two piece base to a one piece and noticed they were loose. For the base screws I put some loctite on them. I plan on replacing my scope but like I said it should work ok if you don't. Good Luck

semi 02-02-2009 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=IT9 4630&src=tpMfg

tell me more about this scope? I have a Win M70 that needs a replacement but don't want to get out of control on the price of a new scope. I got the "package scope" which is a simmons 8 pt. It's time to upgrade but only have $100 or so to spend right now. TELL me more if you would.

tjjon 02-03-2009 09:07 AM

Dude by a muzzleloader in 50 cal or 45 cal if they have a season for it its a blast and you can increase or lower the powder charge and bullet weight for different animals.I would recomend a CVA or NEF the gun and a good scope all for less than 400.00. Good Luck

semi 02-04-2009 06:05 AM

deerandbearhoG, tell me more about this scope...

tjjon 02-04-2009 06:24 AM

If you want a good scope check out nachez they have great deals