Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I need advice on my first deer rifle >

I need advice on my first deer rifle

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need advice on my first deer rifle

Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: I need advice on my first deer rifle

My knowledge of scopes is nearly zilch so I didn't really understand most of what you said. I won't be getting the rifle till march anyway, so I know they'll be out by then. I have a savage .22 with a synthetic and I like it all right. You have to remember I'm not quite an enthusiast yet I just want something cheap and basic to give it a try with. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...&src=tpMfg

What I was trying to say is, that this scope at 75$ is the best scope deal Ive seen in a while, and IMO, is comparable w/ many scopes in 200$ range! Throw it on a 300$ wood accutrigger savage , mossberg atr or marlin xl7 and youll have a darn good rig for 400$!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Spike

Man I wish I had the money to buy it and the gun. Oh well, maybe something will come up around March.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM

instead of going to one of the big box stores they going to a local gun dealer they may have a quality used gun for a good price. with the economical situation right now ppl might be giving up a few fire arms for the cash
Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lda105

instead of going to one of the big box stores they going to a local gun dealer they may have a quality used gun for a good price. with the economical situation right now ppl might be giving up a few fire arms for the cash
My experience with most gun shops is you can usually go to Wal-Mart and buy the same gun brand new for about the price of a used one at a gun shop or not much more if it is any more. I know of one good gun shop but the majority I've dealt with are rip offs. Even the one I know of you could get a 10/22 I looked at for about $30 cheaper at Wal-Mart. On ammo and stuff they are sometimes less than Wal-Mart sometimes more so it depends on what but usually if they are more it's barely. Wal-Mart has some of the best prices i've seen on guns if they have what you want. They just have a limited selection. I like gun shops but honestly if you are looking for the best deal possible it more than likely isn't going to be there. I paid about $70 more for my 12 gauge from the gun shop so they could order the wood version. Wal-Mart had the camo version about $70 cheaper than what I paid. The funny thing was the camo version was more at the gun shop. This isn't the one I like to deal with. I've bought one scope from them and 2 guns and have problems with all the transactions.They had horrible service when I had issues with them so that made up my mind from now on I more than likely am just going to buy it where it's cheapest which is usually Wal-Mart if they have it. If not Dicks and the big stores are usually the next cheapest although sometimes I can find them at gun shops in that price range. I have luckily found a gun shop now I really like that I'd probably pay slightly more for a gun to get it from them but if it was more than $10-20 more I'd just go to the cheaper place.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Spike

Yeah, that's generally what I've found too with the whole gun store vs Walmart or Dick's. I like Dick's a lot, they have a huge selection and are priced reasonably in my opinion. I got my Savage Mark II .22 LR at Walmart for 115$ and my Mossberg 817 HMR at Dick's for 130. I feel like I got a good deal on both. I haven't looked at any of Walmart's higher caliber rifles but next time I'm in the one with the guns I'll have to check it out. I think more than likely I'll end up getting the 400$ Savage from Dick's though. Hopefully it'll still be 400$, with our whole "awesome" new President and all.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you'll be sorry if you go with Savage- they have always been hands down the most accurate rifles in my experience. You can also find a Stevens 200 which is basically a Savage without the accu-trigger. If you want to go for coyote & fox, I'd definetly go with something smaller than a .270, though. The .243 would probably be the best choice for what you want, but the 7mm-08, 6.5x55 & .260 Remington would be good choices too.

Don't get hung up on a scope- find a Simmons and throw it on and it'll work fine. I have a $40 Simmons on my muzzleloader that works just great for me and I've never had any issues on it. You can always upgrade to a higher-end scope years later when you are able.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Spike

Yeah, I love my savage .22. And I kinda was going to just get a cheaper scope anyway. Dick's has a 3-9x40 that I have on my HMR right now, but will get moved to the new rifle when I get it. Thanks again. I'm thinking about getting a .270 in march for deer and then an AR15 with some money I'll make over the summer for coyote.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Dick's Sporting goods offers an olive drab gun with three interchangeable barrels, sounds like it would work great for your first rifle/shotgun. I think it's by Rossi, it's called the Trifecta. It has a .223 barrel, a .22 barrel, and a 20 gauge barrel. Last I checked it was less than $300. Of course it will be single shot, but if you're a good shot, you won't need more than one anyway. So whatever you choose, good luck in your future hunting.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

i know not many people would suggest this but 30-30

Quick Reply: I need advice on my first deer rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.