Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Problem with nocturnal deer

Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 PM

Default Problem with nocturnal deer

This is my first year deer hunting. I got a bow for christmas and we built a tree stand in my backyard. The problem is, I never see the deer during the day. I know there are plenty of deer back there because I feed them corn and I have to throw out another 50lb bag every few days. Also, every time I come home at about 11pm I flash my headlights back there and theres always a pack of deer hanging out.

I have yet to try hunting in the morning, but I never see them in the morning anyways. What should I do to get one of these deer out during the day?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Problem with nocturnal deer

ORIGINAL: ozfest5

This is my first year deer hunting. I got a bow for christmas and we built a tree stand in my backyard. The problem is, I never see the deer during the day. I know there are plenty of deer back there because I feed them corn and I have to throw out another 50lb bag every few days. Also, every time I come home at about 11pm I flash my headlights back there and theres always a pack of deer hanging out.

I have yet to try hunting in the morning, but I never see them in the morning anyways. What should I do to get one of these deer out during the day?
Hunt during the rut!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get away from the bait. Instead of you finding outtheir patterns, they're finding yours.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

Hunting during the rut doesn't work if your season doesn't overlap.

Be there as early as possible. Here in Idaho we can legally shoot a half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset. I probably wouldn't take a shot that early in many conditions, due to visibility...but if you're in your stand an hour or so before sunrise you'll be ready for that final good phase. The deer around here have apparently have become increasingly nocturnal as well (funny how a lack of predators that have the advantage at night leads them to spend more time awake then). People closing their land to hunting hurts a lot as well, deer may not be smart but it only takes a couple generations for a "safe haven" to become a place to hole up.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Night Vision Goggles. ha nah j/k that's not a good idea.

I don't know how much land you have, but when I have problems with deer only hanging out at night I just walk through the woods in the middle of the day. If you know where they bed at walk around the general area. Gotta pay CLOSE attention though or they'll jump up and you might not even know it.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ozfest5

if your hunting over bait IMO your best bet is too hunt evenings.all the deer i have seen by bait have been in the evenings this time of the year. have another spot on trails on near bedding area for a morning stand. another thing i saw at bass pro was called nocturnal nightmare
here it is looks pretty cool
http://nativeoutdoors.stores.yahoo.n...htmare200.html

you could just get a timed feeder as well
Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Gromky

Even the pre-rut will have them moving during the daylight hours. I don't know of any state that doesn't at least have their season during this time.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: Gromky

Even the pre-rut will have them moving during the daylight hours. I don't know of any state that doesn't at least have their season during this time.
x2
Old 01-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try hunting deeper in the woods. They may be hanging out a hundred yards or so before they come to your feeder after it gets dark. Like piqiron said, they know your out there so try to head em off before they get to your feeder.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting over bait can, if done incorrectly, lead to greatly decreased success. Like has been said before, the deer are patterning you and understanding when (daytime) you'll be out. You may want to try giving up on the bait for a while and just hunting regularly and see how that works for you.

Quick Reply: Problem with nocturnal deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.