Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Base Layers, Socks, & Gloves

Old 01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Base Layers, Socks, & Gloves

COUPLE QUESTIONS HERE

Well the weather in my neck of the woods is a little more on the cold side of things these days.

I have some cabelas MTP base layers as well as your normal long johns, but neither seem to really do the trick

Ive heard good things about Polypro Military grade underwear, but it seems everything is fleece lined or something to that nature.

I was wondering what everyone is using as a layering system in weather below 20 degrees.

As for socks. I am prone to cold feet. I have a set of 2000gram PAC boots as well as the merino socks and liner socksSTILL cannot seem to get a setup that will keepme warm all day while allowing me to walk (iknow boot blankets are the answer for still hunting)

I am also looking for a pair of waterproofGLOMITS with the flip back so you can use your fingers with liner gloves.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Base Layers, Socks, & Gloves

I bought some of Cabela's Polarteck top/bottoms, and it's very warm. When it gets REAL cold I wear Under Amour top/bottomswith the Polartech over it. Then my insulated camo over everything. Awesome combo!
For my hands (bad circulation) I use a hand muff with three Grabber hand warmers inside. Again, awesome combo! And for my feet (bad circulation)I wear Northern Outfitter's Expedition Boots with a Grabber hand warmer under my toes. These hand warmers, which I think are the best out there,come in a 24hr duration, and they cost (.99)the same as the lesser duration warmers.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

I use EnduraSkin from Bass Pro as a base layer, then Polartec Military(polar) weight thermal, then a Polartec fleece layer, and Cabela's Super Slam Elite Fleece for my outer layer. This has done me well when the temp is below 0, Polartec is AWESOME. I'm very impressed with that stuff!!!! I'm still searching for a good combination for my my hands, but Under Armour Liner Gloves are awesome as a base layer. I just need to find the right outer glove that allows me to shoot my bow accurately. I have a pair of Cabela's glomitts that are super warm, have a pouch for handwarmers, but I have a hard time shooting my bow with them. And I don't think Cabela's sells them anymore. Sounds like you have a good setup for your feet...chemical foot warmers may be your best bet there.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:17 PM

I use Under Armour as a base layer. It always keeps me warm while hunting. I really like it because it'll let you more around. Before I had it I'd have to wear more layers making me less mobile.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Spike

I'm a former squirrel chaser (cross country skiing), so my under layers come for that. Toko ski gloves, heavy polypro ski tights (I'm no longer willing to wear them without pants on top...but they're very warm), Mountain Hard Wear fleece/Goretex vest, and such. Not hunting specific, or cheap, but they work well for me.

Also, never rule out wool. It's absolutely ideal for socks (usually I'll run one set of wool and one of cotton). And it's great as an upper body layer for pure warmth and waterproofing. A decent wool sweater can be found for cheap, and will make anything warmer. You could layer something like polypro undershirt, wool sweater, fleece or down, then goretex and you'd be pretty much invulnerable. And you could still strip layers when you got too hot and maintain warmth, even in light rain. Layering is always important.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Banned

I always try to layer by "wick, warm, and wind". I wear a synthetic shirt for wick properties,then military fleece polypro, then wind layer which is a jacket. Extreme cold, I'll put a sweater over the poly. When Im walking, Ill usually be down to the swester then throw the jacket on when Im still. staying dry is key to staying warm.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

That's the way to do it.

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

I always try to layer by "wick, warm, and wind". I wear a synthetic shirt for wick properties, then military fleece polypro, then wind layer which is a jacket. Extreme cold, I'll put a sweater over the poly. When Im walking, Ill usually be down to the swester then throw the jacket on when Im still. staying dry is key to staying warm.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

I always try to layer by "wick, warm, and wind".
That's an absolutely perfect way to sum it up...I like it.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

i wear under armour 3.0 tops and bottoms they keep me very warm
Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

electra socks ,800grm thinsulate wolverines ,redhead extreme parka , columbia baselayers,sweatpants,insulated bibs. a bacova hood and thinsulate foldback mittens with heaterpacks.

add a pair of goggles i can ride my atv in 0 deg weather. oh,its 4deg below this morning in virginia. thats as cold as i can ever remember here.

Quick Reply: Base Layers, Socks, & Gloves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.