Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Welcome to my nightmare

Old 04-11-2003, 08:28 PM
nub

Default Welcome to my nightmare

I posted this over in the midwest forum but would like the opinions of those who might not get over there.
quote:

Positive CWD Test

Tissue from the deer you provided to the Wisconsin DNR for chronic wasting disease (CWD) testing has been found to contain CWD prions. Because your deer has tested CWD positive, consumption of the venison is not advised. Although no association between CWD and any human disease condition has been proven, current World Health Organization guidelines recommend that deer known to be positive for CWD should not be consumed. If you would like assistance with disposing of your venison or other products from this deer, you can call your local DNR office to make the appropriate arrangements. If you have additional questions about CWD, check the DNR website: www.dnr.state.wi.us.
CWD Sampling Barcode #: XXXXX
Period: Fall 2002 Hunting Season Surveillance
DNR Customer #: XXXXXXX
County: Dane
Registration Station: NORSLEIN' S WOOD WORKS
Deer Management Unit: 70A-CWD
Twn/Rng/Sec/QS: T 7 N R 6 E Sec 4 NW¼
Date Killed: Thursday , November 14, 2002
Deer Sex: Female
Deer Age: 9-11
Results Available: Yes
CWD Test Result: Positive

quote:

CWD Not Detected

Tissue from the deer you provided the Wisconsin DNR for chronic wasting disease (CWD) testing has been examined for prions. There were no prions found and therefore no evidence that the deer is affected with CWD. However, the inability to find CWD prions in the tissue examined is NOT equivalent to pronouncing this deer absolutely free of CWD prions or stating that it is safe to consume. All laboratory tests for CWD only assess the presence or absence of a detectable amount of prions in the specific tissue examined at the time the tissue was collected. A recently infected animal may not test positive because prions have not yet reached a detectable level in the tissue that was tested. CWD testing is clearly of value for disease surveillance to learn where the disease exists, but it has limited value in the context of food safety testing. If you have additional questions about CWD, check the DNR website: www.dnr.state.wi.us.
Date Killed: Thursday , November 21, 2002
Deer Sex: Female
Deer Age: 1
CWD Test Result: Negative

quote:

Positive CWD Test

Tissue from the deer you provided to the Wisconsin DNR for chronic wasting disease (CWD) testing has been found to contain CWD prions. Because your deer has tested CWD positive, consumption of the venison is not advised. Although no association between CWD and any human disease condition has been proven, current World Health Organization guidelines recommend that deer known to be positive for CWD should not be consumed. If you would like assistance with disposing of your venison or other products from this deer, you can call your local DNR office to make the appropriate arrangements. If you have additional questions about CWD, check the DNR website: www.dnr.state.wi.us.
Date Killed: Thursday , November 21, 2002
Deer Sex: Male
Deer Age: 3
CWD Test Result: Positive

Still waiting for one more to come back. A 1.5 yr. old buck.

Couple questions for ya, but first some info on the above deer. The old doe above was thrown in the dumpster because she showed signs of disease. You might recall the thread about her getting hammered by numerous bucks in my yard. She was so crippled and weak she could not escape them. The 1 yr. old negative doe, is cut and wrapped in my freezer. The other 2 bucks, including the positive, were given to a friend of mine. He was well informed by me and the media of the possibility of CWD infection in the local deer herd. He told me he didn' t care whether they had it or not, he was going to eat them. After all, we' ve been eating deer from around here for years. Well...........he already ate the positive one and most of the second. Now the questions

1. Should I tell him the deer he already consumed was positive?
2. Would you eat the 1 yr. old negative doe in my freezer?

He already knows the remainder of the second buck (test results not available yet) was 1 of 3 bucks registered together, of which 1 was positive. That positive and the third deer was shot by my other buddy who owns the land. If he would of had the freezer space, he would have taken all three shot that day.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Welcome to my nightmare

Yes to your first question and I don' t know for the second question . There sees to be more places getting that disease all the time .
Old 04-12-2003, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes and yes! I' d tell him about it but it sounds like he cares about as much as me. I wouldn' t hesitate eating any of them , positive test results or not. I would debone all the meat myself and never give it a second thought. I would have to avoid the brain or spleen sausage though
Old 04-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would contact the Wisconsin DNR and ask their advise about the positive deer bein consumed. They may tell you to keep quite or they mey ask your friend to come in for guinea pig test. Can' t believe it took 6 months to get the results back to you.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Have to stand with Bowfanatic on this one.

CWD has beeen around for hundreds of years. First found in sheep. Then in cows as Mad Cow Disease. The British killed a bunch of good cows as far as I' m concerned. Now it' s your deer. If it was an outward sign I found in a deer, I wouldn' t eat it. But I would never have had one tested. Just not that concerned about it. More a problem for deer than people.

Hope thru your research, you find something either positive or negative, but as we speak, it just don' t seem to be a human problem.

Have been sick after a beef dinner before. MCD? don' t know. Also with eating lamb, pork, and chicken. Have never that I recall been sick after eating venison.

You want to see something really scarey, enroll in your local university and take Microbiology or Dairy Science 401! You will never pick that cookie off the floor and eat it again.

Just not concerned about CWD from a consumption standpoint.

Like someone else on HuntingNet stated. " just my .02 worth, there' s .98 leftover"

good luck

brad
Old 04-12-2003, 10:46 AM
nub

He stopped by this morning, so I told him. All he said was, " don' t that suck, just my luck" . I tried to comfort him a bit by saying we' ve probably been eating them for years. He' s always mooched venison from me in the past and together we' ve probably ate a good dozen in the last 3 years. I' m still not sure if I' ll eat the doe in my freezer or not. Perhaps Paul wants another.8^)lol. It is of that age where CWD would be harder to detect. (1.5)

Old 04-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Hey! you said the doe tested negative, right? Don' t throw her away. I' ll pay shipping, send her to me. I know exactly what I' ll do with her.

brad
Old 04-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing to tell him. And yes, I would eat the doe.

Would I eat a healthy looking deer that tested positive? That is a harder question. I don' t think I would worry about eating it myself, but would I feed it to my kids? I' m not sure. Glad we don' t have it in Texas yet.

I really suspect that if people can get the disease from eating it, it will be a low incidence of trasmission. In other words, if 1000 people eat an infected deer, maybe 2-3 of them might get it. Only a guess at this point.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree as well. I definitely think you did the right thing....and as long as the doe tested negative then I would not have a problem consuming it...
Old 04-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Yes to the first and a question on the second. Will cooking the meat to well done kill this? If not then one more question. How would you feel if a friend or a family member had some and then got it? I think you have your answer. Sorry.
Rick

Quick Reply: Welcome to my nightmare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.