HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   High fence poll (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/281715-high-fence-poll.html)

MOhunter46 01-07-2009 04:04 PM

RE: High fence poll

ORIGINAL: Huntinman23

i think if you want to kill a deer get out there and do the leg work to find them, not pay some one to put one there for you, deer farms are cool to look at and see but not for killing.
x2

outdoor video guy 01-08-2009 08:42 AM

This is a good topic with good posts. On both sides. However, IMO, i think the main issue is the fact that it is the whitetail deer! as posted hogs are inside HF ops, so are axis and other exotics yet for some reason the whitetail deer is in a different light.

I know that the deer is North Americas most hunted big game and perhaps that is why. I know that many places have catfish ponds stocked full of cats, and sold by the pound. Not many have barked about that, but fill a pond full of largemouths, watch out.

Lanse couche couche 01-08-2009 08:51 AM

I think that the issue with exotics is that they are imported for the purpose of stocking hunting operations, so it is not really an issue of a public resourse as with whitetails. I think that catfish have traditionally been veiwed as a market item in terms of commercial fishing and farming, whereas bass have always been thought of as a "sporting" fish.

timbercruiser 01-08-2009 09:06 AM

I am a firm believer that it is your land, you pay taxes, and you should be able to do dang near anything you want to on your own property. If you want to invest the money to build a fence, then go for it. Honestly if I had 2,000 + contiguous acres and the money I would consider doing it myself..

Lanse couche couche 01-08-2009 09:09 AM

Amen brother, I feel the same way about my ground. But, just get our deer off it beforeif youdecide to turn it into a pay for play operation.:D

shaggy1224 01-08-2009 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Not to be overly critical, but it would be helpful if you could be a little more specific. For example, I doubt you would find much support for a 40 acre high fence operation, but folks may tend to be indifferent about a 50,000 acre ranch doing it.
i think this same poll was floating around here about this time last year. i know a fella here in cent. wis. that owns a game farm. his web site says he has 220 acres(i think) but the part that is reserved for hunting(if u would call it hunting) is only like 55 or 60 acres. he actually owns 400 acres but he has some cranberry bogs on it. he's making plenty of money. i know he just bought another 120 acres across the road from his place, because i hunted it last gun season. it was not fenced in yet. he placed in forest crop through the state which makes it open to public hunting but his taxes are lower. my father works for a largepotato that gives this guy reject potatoes to feed his animals. in return a couple of guys get to go shoot a red deer cow(hine) every year. last year i got to go. i will admit i was kind of fun. but it is not something i would pay to do.

radlad31 01-08-2009 09:19 AM

We have Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in Wisconsin because of high fenced/bought-and-sold deer (I believe the infected deer came from Colorado if I'm not mistaken). And since fencescan and will fail at some point, some got out and passed it on to the wild deer population. Now we have a large swath of of the population who are either infected with it or at risk. So do I think that there are some inherent and tagic risks involved with high fences? You bet. We've got this disease that affects a very large portion of our hunters and we have high fence operations to thank for that. And don't think that it can't happen elsewhere. By the time that it was found here, it was too widespread and too late to eliminate it.

shaggy1224 01-08-2009 09:39 AM

i wouldn't consider it a large swath of the population. the eradication zone in southern wis isn't that big. but i do agree i think the game farms did bring cwd here. but these people have a right to make living. should every cattle/dairy farm because of mad cow. game farms didn't create cwd. but imo they help spead it.

WNYhunter 01-08-2009 09:42 AM

radlad31, do you honestly believe that crap? The only reason cwd is found inside a fence is because that is were it is easiest to trace. cwd is in less than 1% of the population and the high fence folks take the blame. Its to bad really.

As far as the main topic, I agree with it all the way. Would I do it, probably not. Would I charge you to do it.... HELL yea I would.

omarrh 01-08-2009 11:12 AM

I voted that it is the owner's right, because as someone mentioned before, they are responsible for maintaining their land and paying taxes, etc. As for getting "our" deer out of it, I would say that if they were trespassing on the property, they are now jailed in it.