Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Strange occurrence

Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Spike

Default Strange occurrence

I live in West Virginia. We were out hunting coyotes today and we found three dead dear that were at different stages of decay within 30 yards of each other. Less than 20 yards farther we found four deer in a pile (more or less) These deer were fresh and one of them hadn’t even been completely tore open yet. I don’t know why someone would kill them and drag them all to the same spot. This spot was not close to a road. It was out in the middle of the woods. Could this be a predator or is it most likely a poacher? Thanks, Chris
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strange occurrence

Bigfoot's stash Other than that I would have no clue unless there is some hermit in the area
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Spike

That is weird you think a predator like a coyote would eat its food, Its like the characteristic of a squirrel to gather nuts but instead this is deer and I don't think a coyote would do that. So to me its a mystery most likely a person but I think you might of just found a new coyote dream world lol.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 PM

I'd wait for it to show up again. Must be coming to the same spot often enough. Show it whats up haha
Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would help if you said whether there were bullt holes in them or not. If there is - there's your answer.

No bullet holes? PREPARE THE KEGS BOYS WE'ZE AGOIN HUNTIN THE BEAST!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 AM

you may have just stumbled upon someones illegal bear baiting area I live In pocahontas county WV and our DNR caught some guys doing this exact same thing so that they could just go out sit over the bait and wait for a bear though it will make a great site to set up for predators my guess would be that its human work not yote. what a waste though stuff like that just makes the rest of us look worse
Old 01-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definately human problem.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Lightning?
I would look for the cause of death, I am no scientist but I know a bullet hole when I see one.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

We saw the same thing a few years back. A half dozen dead deer near an old barb wire fence about 100 yds from an old logging road.
We later found the reason. The F&G was responsible. It was where they decided to put deer that were hit by vehicles on the road.
Of course none of the deer had antlers...