Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe? >

Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

ORIGINAL: Sangster

glad I don't have to worry about it here in FL. Here it's either "antlered" or "antlerless". "Antlered" = 5"+ above the hairline. We don't have a "doe" season but instead an "anterless" season.
I don't think the problem is not being legal to take them. I know of no place they aren't legal as an antlerless deer. I believe the reason the question was asked was so they can let the BBs walk instead of just shooting them. If you kill them they have zero chance of getting bigger.

Yesterday I went out and saw 4 deer. 3 were together and I glassed them at 25 yards looking to see how big they were. They were just OK sized for here. The two mus have been yearlings because when the third came out she was obviously bigger than the others. I considered shooting but as we have until the end of january I decided to wait. I have one doedown this year and wouldn't mind a buck... but the closer it gets to the end of season the more tempted I'll be on a mature doe.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a button buck .... didn't shoot him

Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

last week i shot a button buck i thought was a doe, i guess you just have to look for the shorter head, if the buttons are prenounced
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

ORIGINAL: Sangster

glad I don't have to worry about it here in FL. Here it's either "antlered" or "antlerless". "Antlered" = 5"+ above the hairline. We don't have a "doe" season but instead an "anterless" season.
I don't think the problem is not being legal to take them. I know of no place they aren't legal as an antlerless deer. I believe the reason the question was asked was so they can let the BBs walk instead of just shooting them. If you kill them they have zero chance of getting bigger.

Yesterday I went out and saw 4 deer. 3 were together and I glassed them at 25 yards looking to see how big they were. They were just OK sized for here. The two mus have been yearlings because when the third came out she was obviously bigger than the others. I considered shooting but as we have until the end of january I decided to wait. I have one doedown this year and wouldn't mind a buck... but the closer it gets to the end of season the more tempted I'll be on a mature doe.
Good point, i didn't think about that.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bucks heads are shaped differently, the head is flatter. But I cant tell lots of the time either, thats why I stopped shooting small deer. Just to be safe.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

...Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't........

sorry, couldn't resist

I'd have to agree with the binoculars replies
Old 01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some info. from Michigan DNR

Look at body shapes of deer. Adult does are different in shape from juvenile deer. The mature doe is rectangular in shape with a long neck and face. Fawns are square shaped and have a short neck and face.
Button bucks often travel alone, but adult does rarely do. Consider this when you observe a single antlerless deer.
Wait until more than three deer are together; then harvest one of the larger antlerless deer.
If two juvenile deer are without an adult, one will probably be a button buck.
Normally the young male is larger than the female and may be mistaken for an adult doe because of its larger size. Look at the head of the deer. A doe's head normally is more rounded on top between the earsand a buck's head is flattened by the base of the antlers.
Look closely with binoculars for the antler bases on button bucks.
Wait until the deer are standing or moving slowly. It is easier to identify sex and age when deer are not running or moving fast.
Shoot with good visibility. Poor light or heavy cover make it difficult to determine sex and age. [/ul]
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 AM

one's a boy, the other is a girl!

couldn't resist..but a good pair of glasses will help.

this one is funny. i've enjoyed the replies
Old 01-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spudrow

Here some things that might help.
Many times (but not always) a button buck will travel alone. Adult does will not. They travel with other deer.

[/align]If you are watching a group of deer enter an opening or a food plot, typically an adult deer will stand for moments to scan the area before entering it. Whereas a young buck (or fawn doe) will just dart out into the area.
[/align]An adult doe will have more of a rectangular body whereas the button buck body is more square and box-like.
[/align]

[/align]An adult doe will have a longer next and snout. A young button buck will have a shortened snout and and not as lengthy a neck.
[/align]

[/align]An adult doe also has a more rounded head between it's ears whereas the young button buck has more of a flat area between the ears.
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]Spudrow from MO
[/align]
[/align]
Couldn't agree more. I generally look at the head. An adult doe will have an elongated head and long narrow snout. If the head looks more box like in shape, its most likely a fawn. If its more of a rectangle, its a mature doe. Also, a younger buck has more of a dark area on top of his head where his antlers will eventually go. Adult does don't generally travel alone, but I see a few a year and those are the ones I try and harvest. If your not sure, wait for a group to come out and pick one of the biggest and one that seems to be more cautious than the others.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

one way i tell the difference is by looking at the head. A button head has a more squared shorter face while on the other hand a doe's head is the opposite.