HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Jasonlester
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

ORIGINAL: Sangster

glad I don't have to worry about it here in FL. Here it's either "antlered" or "antlerless". "Antlered" = 5"+ above the hairline. We don't have a "doe" season but instead an "anterless" season.
I don't think the problem is not being legal to take them. I know of no place they aren't legal as an antlerless deer. I believe the reason the question was asked was so they can let the BBs walk instead of just shooting them. If you kill them they have zero chance of getting bigger.

Yesterday I went out and saw 4 deer. 3 were together and I glassed them at 25 yards looking to see how big they were. They were just OK sized for here. The two mus have been yearlings because when the third came out she was obviously bigger than the others. I considered shooting but as we have until the end of january I decided to wait. I have one doedown this year and wouldn't mind a buck... but the closer it gets to the end of season the more tempted I'll be on a mature doe.