Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dip?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Default RE: Dip?

I suspect that everyone is aware of the dangers of tobacco use. The point of the thread was "will it affect hunting success"? The answer is simple, if you're using the wind to your advantage it will not. If you don't use the wind, you're busted anyway, whether you're chewing or not.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love it when people try to tell other people how to live their lives.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

I cured myself from chewing at an early age. After a long night of partying I passed out with a huge dip of cherry Skoal in my lip when I was 19 and swallowed it, woke up the next day so sick I haven't been able to chew since.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned

The point of the thread was "will it affect hunting success"?
if you're in cancer treatments it will affect your success ...... if you're dead it'll really affect how many deer you shoot

I love it when people try to tell other people how to live their lives.
I know, you'd think people would have enough sense to not do things harmful to their bodies like that wouldn't you ?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Big Country is right.......when I read your posts on dipping, all I can see is a bunch of punk kid redneck boys in high school( I was one of them too, so I know) that thought dipping was cool and that they really 'enjoyed' it. Not the case for everybody, but most of these posts bring me back to my highschool days.

If you want to, thats fine, I think the tobacco farmers need all the dippers, 'chewers', and smokers they can get.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dip while on stand and do fairly well every year. I hunt off the ground spit where i kicked the leaves up and spray it with scent killer when im done and kick dirt over it. I dont know if it makes a difference or not. I agree dipping is not a sign of being a man its a weak persons addiction i've tried to kick the habit a few times recently with no success. I've cut way back hopefully soon i canget to the point where i dont even need the 2 chews a day. I'm tryin.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Nasty.[8D]

Spudrow from Mo
Old 12-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Banned

deerslayer223 do or do not ....... there is no try
Old 12-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingofspring

I suspect that everyone is aware of the dangers of tobacco use. The point of the thread was "will it affect hunting success"? The answer is simple, if you're using the wind to your advantage it will not. If you don't use the wind, you're busted anyway, whether you're chewing or not.
There is one factor that everyone seems to be overlooking. Unless you're sitting very still and swallowing your spit, it ABSOLUTELY will affect your hunting. Unless you don't mind your own spit trailing down your camo every now and then, you have to lean in some direction or at least turn your head to a down-wind direction to spit. This would be a significant movement every what?.... 5 - 15 minutes? There'll be even more movement using a bottle to spit in. Sure, eventually you're gonna get lucky and the deer isn't going to happen to look in your direction, but I'd be willing to bet that those of you who dip on the stand and spit have had deer spot you moving and you've never even known they were in the area.

Before anyone tries to crucify me for saying that, I'm speaking from experience. I dip, and I did it on mystand until November when itcost me a beautiful 150" - 160" buck. HE didn't spot me leaning, but the hot doe he was following did. She took off and he followed her at a trot60 yards from my tree.... well out of bow range.[:@] Lesson learned for me - the hard way.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I am 29, I had a dip in from 12 or 13 until 6 months ago. I played baseball through college so dip was a way of life. Skoal straight longcut, 2 cans a day for the last 10 or so years...before that it was whatever I could afford or someone would buy for me (underage). I personally consider myself a mans man and have a very head strong personality. It took the birth of my daughter to make me quit. I told her a few hours after she was born that she would never see her daddy dip...I went outside, put the last half can in my mouth and spit skoal with my buddy until I was spitting dust. Threw the can away and that was it. I cannot let the first thing my daughter and I talked about in this world become a lie. I tried everything under the sun and even quit for weeks and even a month or 2 but the cravings were what got me. I finally added up what 4+ dollars a can, twice a day cost me and the prize in the end was to potentially get cancer.

The stories moral is everyone is jumping on BC because he has an elitist attitude toward quitting dipping...let me tell you I would be the 1st guy to tell him to F' off ina heart beat over 6 months ago, but I feel so good to have finally kicked the habit that I am in agreement with him. Remember I was the I'll quit when I want to, gotta die of aomething...blah blah blah. Only a few in this world really spend that much money on some thing that unhealthy and have NO regrets what so ever. If you want to dip that is the privlage of spending your money freely in the greatest country in the world, but when and only when you quit will you see where BC is coming from and I bet the ranch you agree 100% as well at that time.

To save my mini hijack, It effects your hunt 100% of the time, you gotta move or make some kind of noise to spit[:-]Even if you swallow I do not think you can get the pinch in your mouth without moving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.