Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

gps

Old 12-20-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default gps

Have decided to enter the world of tech. and am considering purchase of GPS. What should I look for/watch out for as far as options/features. What are their restrictions, if any[ cloud cover,canopy, power, etc }. Are they as reliable as is claimed? I would intend on it being used in conjunction with old reliable compass/map.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: gps

I would say get a Garmin and get one that can load topo maps to really have a great unit. They are very good and are a good tool to help you navigate but the old compass is still needed just in case. I have a Garmin Vista and like it. It hasn't failed me and I always carry a spare set of AA batteries just in case they die. It always locks in but thick tree canopy can cause it to be a little slower. If it acts a bit slow i just move a few feet and it usually locks in. Great tool to lock in special spots you want to go back to.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen alot of Garmins and really have no issues with them. I like the DeLorme Earthmates myself. They will work in thick cover as well and are used by state police up here as well as other law enforcement agencies.You can get satilite imagery as well as black and white fly over views in some areas. Topos are included with your purchase as well as $100 dollar prgraming gift to choose from a few other options. As what C.I. states with any I would still want a trusty compass as well. There is several gps models out there to choose from so no matter what your choice is good luck..
Old 12-20-2008, 11:09 AM

I have the Garmin 60CSx. It is awesome!

My old garmin (legend) used to fail under tree cover. The 60CSxworks inside the house! I no longer use reflector tags to mark a path to my stand. I just use the GPs to walk right to it (within 15ft)

I'm looking foward to trying it out in Colorado next year.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Magellan Marine Meridian.It's a good unit but if I were looking now I'd go with the Garmin 60csx.Here's a site with tons of info for you to sift through-
http://gpsinformation.net/
Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

X2 on the Garmin 60CSX. I have not got the topo maps for it yet I getting thur xmas first. I think they run about $80. for my area (virginia ,nc ,ny, penn,md and a few more I cant think of )but for now i can waypoint in the woods and use the coordinance (?) in Google earth to view the area. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you really have to buy the maps for it? Check out the reviews on the Earthmate PN-20s here is a post for you to look at..

www.delorme.com//about/reviews/PN20_GPSReview.htm

Also something that is new to the line of Earthmates.. the PN-40 here a press release on them..

www.delorme.com//about/pressreleases/PN-40.htm

Also the PN-20 is being used for the 2009 North Pole expidition.. Theremust besomething about the Earthmate.. You can read about it foryour self here..

www.delorme.com//about/pressreleases/NorthPole09Sponsor.htm
Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Bushanic - I forgot to mention the topo maps for the Garmin CSx60. I bought the kit and the topo maps came with it. They're great. By using google earth and the topo view on google maps, I was able to plot all my honey holes in colorado.

It is awesome!