Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Muzzle Loader Bullet Question

Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Spike

Default Muzzle Loader Bullet Question

I started Muzzle loader hunting two seasons ago so this is my third season. I have a CVA Optima Pro and the book that came with it stated the recommended round for the gun were Power belt bullets. I did not know much about muzzle loaders so I went with power belts in a 245 grain aero tip. I started out shooting 100 grains of powder (2 pellets) and I felt the accuracy was not there out to 100 yards, so this season I upped the powder charge to 150(3 pellets) with the same bullet, it seems to shoot more consistently.

Here is the issue I am having. I cover my scent pretty well (at least i think so) and i see plenty of deer and usually have them very close to me in my tree stand(5-30 yards). I have shot 4 deer with my muzzle loader in the last 3 seasons (2 with 100 grains and 2 with 150 grains) and all 4 have been within 40 yards. the first one I shot him and he went 10 feet and fell, no problem. The other 3 I shot them and only 1 had a blood trail and exit wound. The other 2 were within 20 yards and both bucks. I hit them behind the shoulder (1 with 100 grains and 1 with 150) and both deer had no exit wound and barely any blood at the spot i hit them in and little to no blood on the trail. When i opened the deer up (because I did not give up and found them) it looks like the bullet exploded inside of them.

Sorry about the long drawn out story I just wanted people to have the background facts. My question is, is this because of the bullet, the powder load, a combination of both, or the range. Also should I be using another kind of bullet and has any one had this happen to them?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzle Loader Bullet Question

I think its probably shot placement, I shot a buck this season, hit it in the shoulder and no blood trail. I have shot 3 other deer with it, 2 with passthroughs. By the way I am using 100gr. powerbelt bullets. I don't know the weight, sorry.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are going to shoot the powerbelt, you need to back your load down to aroun 80 grains, that should stop the bulleet from fragmenting. I shot a doe this year, (my first with the ML) and I did not get a pass thru either, but I did recover the bullet. I am shooting a CVA Wolf, with the 295 grain powerbelt. (this was with the hollow point, but I think I am going to switch to the aerotip) I am using 80 grains of 777 loose powder, and a winchester 777 209 primer.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this a 50 cal? Try the TC shockwave sabots 250gr. Shot some deer with this bullet using 100gr powder and it put a halachious hole in em. I shoot an omega though and at 100 yards its drivin tacs.... I'm guessing you do but your accuracy may be an issue of not cleaning your barrel out every couple shots. I had this prob right away as I didnt know i was supose to clean it so often (was really confused then I read the manual, haha) but now she shoots dead on every time.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CVA Optima Pro and the book that came with it stated the recommended round for the gun were Power belt bullets.
Probably because they make them.
Lots of far better choices - most less money as well.
If you have to shoot them for some reason, use no more then 80 gr powder to stop fragmentation.

Steve
Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

I have a CVA Optima Pro and the book that came with it stated the recommended round for the gun were Power belt bullets.
Probably because they make them.
Lots of far better choices - most less money as well.
If you have to shoot them for some reason, use no more then 80 gr powder to stop fragmentation.

Steve
That's your answer in a nut-shell. My suggestion would be for you this summer to tinker around with other bullets. LOTS of better choices in bullets out there.

Google "Powerbelt fragment" and "Barnes fragment" or "Nosler fragment" and see the differences in hits
Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bone...You might want to post this over in the Black Powder section...These guys covered it pretty good, basically you don't want to push Power Belts too fast, they are made of lead so they can squat and grip the rifling...So, they fragment pretty easily with close tange shots and higher velocity...

I see no need for 150gr powder charges in muzzleloaders...80-120 is plenty...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

I like my Hornaday 250 grain bullets. I have had a lot of success with them.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:18 AM

I had the same experience with the powerbelts on 3 deer this year, Luckily I was able to recover them, none of them ran more than 50 yds.
Next time I use a ML i will use the shockwaves, Ive heard nothing but good things about them. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Powerbelts are not a very good quality bullet if you use over 80 grains of powder at close range they blow up they are not a bonded bullet. The first year I hunted with a muzzle loader I lost a deer using them. Go to the black powder forumyou can get a lot of help there
ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

If you are going to shoot the powerbelt, you need to back your load down to aroun 80 grains, that should stop the bulleet from fragmenting. I shot a doe this year, (my first with the ML) and I did not get a pass thru either, but I did recover the bullet. I am shooting a CVA Wolf, with the 295 grain powerbelt. (this was with the hollow point, but I think I am going to switch to the aerotip) I am using 80 grains of 777 loose powder, and a winchester 777 209 primer.

Quick Reply: Muzzle Loader Bullet Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.