Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Spike

Default Neighbor's dog shot

So I have neighbor with two black labs, one really old, one two years old. I saw him in his yard went over to talk. He voice was real horse. He'd been looking for the two year old lab. It got out mid morning. told him I'd look for it. It was found the next day... shot in the back leg with a slug. It was on it's way home but has bleed to death....To me as a hunter this is unacceptable. The area I live in is somewhat developed we're not out in the sticks. A person who shots a known pet dog should no longer hunt.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

Just another A-hole out there who thinks that it is his god given right to shoot any dog that happens to wander by his deer stand. There are certainly times when it could be necessary to shoot a dog, but it seems like among deer hunters you have a pretty good corps of folks who are just looking for any excuse to pull thetrigger. Use your heads, folks.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

As a guy who breeds, raises, and trains and field trials pointers I have no sympathy for your buddy or his dog. My dogs are very valuable. Having said that, I go to great lengths to make sure my dogs stay in their kennels. They are on a raised deck platform so they can't dig out and my kennels are charged with a fence charger so they can't climb out. If my dogs get out and get killed then thats a ME problem. I'm so tired of dog owners not taking ownership for their animals who are out wondering around. Bad deal for your neighbor but maybe he'll work harder to keep his new dog in the yard where it belongs.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Lanse on this!! But some of the responsabilty lies with the owner as well. Here we have dog laws to keep them chained up or in a fence when not attended to. You just can't let them run around every where. It still doesn't give anyone the right to shoot anyones dog though. I knowI would be very ripped if it happened to one of mine that may have gotten loose some how or had it out hunting for birds. Even if you see it chasing deer you still have no right to shoot it. You can report it to a warden and even then they have to be very carefull if shooting is required for some reason. So who ever did this I certainly hope your buddy is able to find out. It is very sad to here about this type of action by others. It gives hunters a bad rap! Iam very sorry for your friend and his family as well..
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spoken like someone who has obviously had everyone of his dogs under his complete control his entire life. Sorry dude, but out in the country, dogs getting loose and wandering off is a way of life.Not an excuse to shoot them unless they are clearly being a nuisance. Folks who dont understand that might want to check into their local laws and ordinances.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happens all the time here in Ohio. Dogs out on the loose during hunting season, especially if they are chasing deer, usually don't live too long. I have never personally shot one, but have had a few occasions when dogs come by my stand. Doesn't bother me any, it's someones pet that has gotten loose, and is just doing what dogs do. There are several guys I know that will shoot them on sight ( bow or gun season) if they see them while in the stand.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Funny Lanse, I live in the country and my dogs never get loose and wander the countryside. Yes my dogs are in my control 100% of them. Others ought to try it somtime. Their dogs might not get killed.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest liar is someone who says their dogshave always been100 percent under their control 100 percent of the time and the second biggest liars are the ones who say it will always be like that. Following your logic, you shouldnt get any sympathy if one of your kids gets killed or kidnapped because they werent 100 percent under your control.

There are plenty of times when I could have shot dogs and cats that wandered on my land from neighboring farms. But i had enough common sense to know they were doing no real harm and that if i did shoot them i would alienate people and lose access to their land for hunting or tracking wounded deer. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I live in the country and my dogs never get loose and wander the countryside. Yes my dogs are in my control 100% of them.
I live in the country as well and my dogs a very smart. They have gone over the top of the kennel some how ofwhichI still do not know how for sure. They have broken the aluminum wires on the fencing and gone under the fence that way. My kids have let them out of the house by accident at times. So perhaps some dogs are just plain smart enough to figure things out from time to time. Not really sure but you can betI would be after who ever shot 1 of my dogs. I would most deffinately want to know what lame brain excuse they would have at the very least..

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.