Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

this story makes me sick. I have 2 black labs as well and would be devastated if this happened to one or either of them.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

true story.
I was at a friends house out on a farm, were drinking adult soda's and this neighbor comes drivng up the drive, gets out and starts yelling your dog this, dog that, ate my chickens blah blah blah,next time I am going to shoot him. My friend says hold on and goes inside, comes back out with a .22 rifle, guy looks scared, my friend hands him the rifle and says why wait till next time, here shoot him now. Dude doesnt know what to say but says ahh come on man I cant shoot your dog. Friend grabs the gun calls him a kitty and unoads on his dog killing it. He says we cant have chicken eating dogs around here, problem solved.
Have to say you have 1 big azzhole for a friend.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM

This same thing happened to me a few years ago and I tracked the little whore down and brought up criminal charges against him. Since pets are viewed as "property" in NC he was charged with destruction of property. Now he has a criminal record for life.

I would suggest you try to take out some papers on whoever did this through your magistrate.

Sorry about the loss, I know how it feel, good luck with the process!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My condolences to your nieghbor. IMO it's a low life that shots a domestic animal! What is the purpose of doing that? In my 32 years of hunting I've seen a far amount of dogs & cats in the woods and never thought about shooting it just for the heck of it! It's morons like that who give legitament hunters a bad name and give PETA more ammo.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't own dogs or cats . . .If I wanted one on my place I'd go out and buy one. If I had a neighbor whose animal were roaming around on my land I would go to him and try to work towards a solution. I would even help them build a kennel, I would even purchase a chain and collar if they could'nt afford a fence. Even at that tho on a rare occasion the animal would prolly get loose and I can live with that. Sometimes tho, the neighbor just does'nt give a darn about your land . .or their own dog, but I'm still working towards a solution.
I have doggers that I have caught putting their hounds over the fence of my fenced and posted property. Initially I was'nt concerned with the dogs as I had the perpetrators (who were the real problem) at hand. They rounded up their hounds and left. I even caught one for them.
I'm not above shooting a dog but will take every measure to not have to do that . . .stuff happens, a dog can't read, and all that, but I will only be hosting a pest for so long.
All in all it's pretty easy to tell if an animal is cared for and well kept. It's a big advantage for the dog if I can get my hands on it and see the owners name and tele number on the collar. A skinny, mangy, uncollared animal that you can't catch is just better off being put down.
It's a real problem on my place . . .folks commonly dump unwanted pets here for some reason, and there is no animal control to turn to. Unethical hunters seem to round up stray hounds and take the collars off and run them here . . .they go nocturnal as far as digging in the garbage and staying around the houses.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

I don't own dogs or cats . . .If I wanted one on my place I'd go out and buy one. If I had a neighbor whose animal were roaming around on my land I would go to him and try to work towards a solution. I would even help them build a kennel, I would even purchase a chain and collar if they could'nt afford a fence. Even at that tho on a rare occasion the animal would prolly get loose and I can live with that. Sometimes tho, the neighbor just does'nt give a darn about your land . .or their own dog, but I'm still working towards a solution.
I have doggers that I have caught putting their hounds over the fence of my fenced and posted property. Initially I was'nt concerned with the dogs as I had the perpetrators (who were the real problem) at hand. They rounded up their hounds and left. I even caught one for them.
I'm not above shooting a dog but will take every measure to not have to do that . . .stuff happens, a dog can't read, and all that, but I will only be hosting a pest for so long.
All in all it's pretty easy to tell if an animal is cared for and well kept. It's a big advantage for the dog if I can get my hands on it and see the owners name and tele number on the collar. A skinny, mangy, uncollared animal that you can't catch is just better off being put down.
I hear ya. And I don't think you will get too many arguments here. I think this post is mainly about someone blasting a dog for the hey of it.

I have two large 110lb dobermans, and I manage to keep them in yard with the help of thousands of volts from a shock collar. They respect the collar man. But what is one day one did get out. Its never happened in my 8 years of having the RF fence. I don't want slobhunter over the hill capping him just because he was bored.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

true story.
I was at a friends house out on a farm, were drinking adult soda's and this neighbor comes drivng up the drive, gets out and starts yelling your dog this, dog that, ate my chickens blah blah blah,next time I am going to shoot him. My friend says hold on and goes inside, comes back out with a .22 rifle, guy looks scared, my friend hands him the rifle and says why wait till next time, here shoot him now. Dude doesnt know what to say but says ahh come on man I cant shoot your dog. Friend grabs the gun calls him a kitty and unoads on his dog killing it. He says we cant have chicken eating dogs around here, problem solved.
Sounds like you have a real special friend there zrex.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Why would someoneshoot an dog because they cant find any deer. Some people dont need guns for any reason because they dont know how to conduct them self. The only reason I could see to shoot the dog is if it atacked that person but I dought that happened.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

I do..I appreciate and value life....BUT, if my dog and a person were both stuck infront of a speeding train, I'm saving my dog...No question about it.

There is a man with his priorities in the right place, i'd be doing the same thing

Old 12-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why would someone shoot an dog because they cant find any deer. Some people dont need guns for any reason because they dont know how to conduct them self. The only reason I could see to shoot the dog is if it atacked that person but I dought that happened.
You must have mis-read my post as I don't hunt with dogs. I have however hunted with others who used dogs. I know folk who keep many many dogs for hunting. They all will put a dog down if it does'nt hunt from what I've seen. I'm sure that some of them will just dump them off somewhere (which is an even worse thing).
I wish folk that think that dumping a dog off out in the country is more humane than putting the animal down would stick around and watch the animal starve, get infested with ticks and fleas, and mauled by other dogs, etc.
Some folk want to take in every stray animal . . . .you see them on TV all the time being evicted from their homes for sanitation reasons. Some folk even try to care for and re-locate these strays. Thats cool if thats what blows your hair back . . . .but I don't generally get into all that. I have rounded up a couple and given them away because the animals were just so placeable . . . .I'm just not a pet person tho and find them irratating.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.