Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

I've been in the cattle business for many years nowand have put ALOT of time and money into raising a respectable herd.And years ago, I guess you could sayI had a little more patience with this subject.Before, a neighbors dog here and a neighborsdog there didn't bother me as much as it doesnow.And Itall started with a fewdogs runnin free as they chose,which was fine by me at the time. They weren't causing any problems. Then, they began to multiply and multiply and multiply.I addressed the issue with the owners and made it perfectly clear what would happen if they didn't gain control of their pets. Well the problem proceeded to get worse as the owners didnt take any action.And over time thedogs eventually packed up likethey instinctively do andwere just wild. And considering my location there was not a chance in hell of a animal control officer taking the time to come out. Wellone evening,a ranch hand of minewitnessed this pack of dogs run down a yearling calf and kill it before he had a chance to savethe calf. He immediatelycalled me and I jumped in my farm truck which i carry a 7mag and a 30.06and was there within several minutes. Needless to say, I havent had a dog problem since. Now if I offended someone for the actions that I felt were necessary I am deeply sorry for you. And forpeopleto feel that an animals life is more valuable than a humans...that is just ludicrous.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

true story.
I was at a friends house out on a farm, were drinking adult soda's and this neighbor comes drivng up the drive, gets out and starts yelling your dog this, dog that, ate my chickens blah blah blah,next time I am going to shoot him. My friend says hold on and goes inside, comes back out with a .22 rifle, guy looks scared, my friend hands him the rifle and says why wait till next time, here shoot him now. Dude doesnt know what to say but says ahh come on man I cant shoot your dog. Friend grabs the gun calls him a kitty and unoads on his dog killing it. He says we cant have chicken eating dogs around here, problem solved.
And...this guy is your friend!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: targethogs

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

true story.
I was at a friends house out on a farm, were drinking adult soda's and this neighbor comes drivng up the drive, gets out and starts yelling your dog this, dog that, ate my chickens blah blah blah,next time I am going to shoot him. My friend says hold on and goes inside, comes back out with a .22 rifle, guy looks scared, my friend hands him the rifle and says why wait till next time, here shoot him now. Dude doesnt know what to say but says ahh come on man I cant shoot your dog. Friend grabs the gun calls him a kitty and unoads on his dog killing it. He says we cant have chicken eating dogs around here, problem solved.
And...this guy is your friend!
You better never admit to your friend that you kill chickens![8D]
Old 12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

My Chickensfree range in my front yard and garden area (I have 20 acre)
When "The" dog owner pays My mortgage off, pays my taxes, then I will lock My chickens up and let HIS dog roam on My property
Till then, keep your mut off My property.

Slack

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Man, I have had chickens a long time. I kept them segragated from dogs, foxes, etc. Its really not that difficult.

Like I said, your buddies sound no different than the thugs in baltimore or DC. If they want to be like these people down there, its thier perogative.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

One of his greatet pieces of advise to me was to never get attached to any animal as a pet cause eventually it will either die or you will have to kill it.
Replace the word animal with the word people and the word child with the word pet and then rething the wisdom????????
No offense meant jim, but I thought we were talking about dogs not people.
Can I say i have notkilled a dog, No.
Of course I lost almost a thousand dollars in rabbits that night. now before anyone gets in an uproar. this dog had no collar and looked like it had been out for a long time. It was not a pet.

HaveI let dogs walk by while I was hunting, Yes.
One thing I think back to is that it was humans who domesticed dogs in the first place. no matter how tame the dog it will still have canine tendencies. I.E. chasing, biting, etc.

Would I put a pet up over human life. HELL NO.
Just IMHO
Old 12-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
Huh?? Why In the hell should I have to pen up my chickens In my yard so someone elses mut don't eat them In my yard? Chickens hardly ever leave a yard and If they did there free bait.
You must not live in fox or coyote country.
We are loaded with them. Your previous quote still don't cut It regardless of coyotes and fox numbers. BC, most people pen there chickens up at night also.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Liv2Hunt5

I've been in the cattle business for many years nowand have put ALOT of time and money into raising a respectable herd.And years ago, I guess you could sayI had a little more patience with this subject.Before, a neighbors dog here and a neighborsdog there didn't bother me as much as it doesnow.And Itall started with a fewdogs runnin free as they chose,which was fine by me at the time. They weren't causing any problems. Then, they began to multiply and multiply and multiply.I addressed the issue with the owners and made it perfectly clear what would happen if they didn't gain control of their pets. Well the problem proceeded to get worse as the owners didnt take any action.And over time thedogs eventually packed up likethey instinctively do andwere just wild. And considering my location there was not a chance in hell of a animal control officer taking the time to come out. Wellone evening,a ranch hand of minewitnessed this pack of dogs run down a yearling calf and kill it before he had a chance to savethe calf. He immediatelycalled me and I jumped in my farm truck which i carry a 7mag and a 30.06and was there within several minutes. Needless to say, I havent had a dog problem since. Now if I offended someone for the actions that I felt were necessary I am deeply sorry for you. And forpeopleto feel that an animals life is more valuable than a humans...that is just ludicrous.
Here is a different case than what most are talking of on here. I would surely do what was required to protect my livestock as well. But before anything was done why did you not make a call about the issues? Prior to the killing of the calf? You did not state either way. All you stated was you talked with the owners. When you clearly could of and should of at least consulted with an animal control officer. So now does it make you feel you have a right to shoot any dog you see? If so you may end up in a mess far greater than you think. I am glad here the animal control issues are aggressive so we do not have such an issue as you are having.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]quote:

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
Huh?? Why In the hell should I have to pen up my chickens In my yard so someone elses mut don't eat them In my yard? Chickens hardly ever leave a yard and If they did there free bait.
[/blockquote]

You must not live in fox or coyote country.
[/blockquote]
We are loaded with them. Your previous quote still don't cut It regardless of coyotes and fox numbers. BC, most people pen there chickens up at night also.
Are you saying that coyotes and foxes only attack them at night? You folks sure have those predators trained well ..[8D]
Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have 1 piece of property thatseveral dogs that constantly chase deer. 1 of them was a very niced sized pitbull. I thought to myself this thing could take a bite out of me.If I ever get a chance to take that sucker out he is done. Got out of my truck to hunt 1 day and it come running out of a bush towards me. I got my .223 out of the truck and put the dot on him. He stood about 10 yardsand just looked at me. Idid the come here doggy whistle to him and he wagged his tail and proceeded to give me a doggy licking bath.That dog didnt need to be taken out. If he would havehad a different attitude with meIwould have split him.
I have been out hunting this woods several timeswhen these dogs run deer right to me.All my buddies who were out hunting didnt see anything. Sometime when the deer hunting is at a low they pick things up a little.
I have no problem with dispatching a wild mean dog. If someones pet comes running through thewoods with a collarit should be considered off limits.
Icant stand people who think they have the right to be cruel as they want to animals. In Illinois if you are cruel to animals you can find yourself with a felony on your wrap. They have done study on people who are cruel to animalsfinding they arementally disturbed and are the ones who dothe shooting at our schools, malls and work places. I have seen people swerve in a vehicle to hit a dog or a cat.It just ticks me off. That animaldidnt do anything to them and probably meant alot to someone. No!Animals are not humans. God breathed life into them just as hedid us.
Bottom line is a mean wild animal that is a danger to human or life stock itshould be shot. If its not bothering you leave it alone.If your one that thinks you have to shoot every dog that gets on your property then you need to manup and fire up the grill. At least respect the animals life you took.I have more problemswith 2 legged jerks ruining my hunting than dogs!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Are you saying that coyotes and foxes only attack them at night? You folks sure have those predators trained well ..[8D]
Some of you are some real outdoorsman here!! Wow!! How many fox and coyote's have you saw In your yard during the day?? Unbelievable quotes by some of you on both sides of this subject!!

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.