Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SCENTLOK, SCENTBLOKER CLOTHING?? >

SCENTLOK, SCENTBLOKER CLOTHING??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SCENTLOK, SCENTBLOKER CLOTHING??

Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Spike

Default RE: SCENTLOK, SCENTBLOKER CLOTHING??

I've never really bought into the scentlock or scentblocker suits and clothing. I've hunted at ground level and had deer walk within 10 yards of me and never knew i was there (head to toe in blaze orange no less). I'll spray my stuff with scent killer, but that's about the extent of it for me. If you have the money and don't mind parting with it, by all means go for it.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

You know it could possibly be coincidence but every time I would wear my scentlok sweatshirt out I would be winded, even after reactivating it and trying to air it out and what not I always had lots better luck with out it. Actaully I seem to be better off when I don't try to cover my odor to much. Best for me seems to be to shower up before the hunt and use scent away soap and pit stick and then put on hunting clothes that have been hanging up aired outside and then wear my tennis shoes that I only wear hunting. So I guess in my opinion save your money and I mean alot of money!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe it works like they claim, but I am no expert. I feel there is a lot of hype added into the products. Activated carbon does absorb because it is widely used in the many environmental applications to remove contaminants from groundwater, drinking water, etc. Therefore, there is some truth behind the hype. But, can the activated carbon in the clothing be re-activated? If so, how long is it active? And, will it stay in the clothing after wearing, washing, and drying?

I wash myself and clothes in scent free soap. My clothes hang outside. I was still getting winded by deer all year. They didn't smell human just something they knew was different because they usually came closer to within 10 yards then split because they smelled something that wasn't there yesterday or the day before. I couldn't break the spell. Other years, I have had deer downwind without detecting anything - no scent blocker. Myself I am switching to baking soda. I think the "scent free" soap still has some smell whether it be some synthetic earth smell or whatever. I can smell it.

I have heard that Gore-Tex makes the best scent control clothing. It is hard to find and is the most expensive scent control gear on the market.

The deer in my woods rely mainly on their noses, then eyes, then ears. Being able to smell that well is truly a fascinating concept and not one that us humans can comprehend. Someone needs to do a scientific test and put this issue to bed once and for all.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:26 PM

You should read the information on thesepages http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm

They willexplain how activated cabon cannot be reactivated as the manufacturers claim, and how it cannot stop your odors from being smelled by deer and bears.

There are currently two (2)"class action lawsuits" against Scent lok, Gande Mountain Browning and Cabela's for diversity "fraud" - caliming they don't work.

Merry Xmas
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 PM

They have. It doesn't work. The believers are like any group of fanatics, they're not interested in proof.
ORIGINAL: rogerstv

Someone needs to do a scientific test and put this issue to bed once and for all.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 PM

You can read abaout the test of 42 people wearing Sent Lok suits - testedby the Colorado Search & Rescue Dog Organizationand wildlife researcher Dr. Shivik at this address:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/02pubs/shiv024.pdf.

The dogs found all but one person, and it only took .7 second (7/10th's second) difference between those wearing suits, and those not wearing suits.

Pretty definitive - that Scent Lok can't fool a dog, and since deer have more nasal receptors than dogs - it is a good bet Scent Lok can't fool deer either!!!!

Don't waste your money. Use Scent Killer - it works.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 PM

I believe the kids call that "owned". Thanks for the link!
ORIGINAL: WildlifePhoto

You can read abaout the test of 42 people done by the Colorado Search & Rescue Dog organization and weildlife researcher Shivikd at this address:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/02pubs/shiv024.pdf.

The dogs found all but one person, and it only took 7. second difference between thos weering sutis, and those not wearing suits.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

i'm beginning to feel like tred barta, it's all horse "pucky". keep the wind in your face and the sun to your back, and preferably have some cover.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rustynobles

i'm beginning to feel like tred barta, it's all horse "pucky". keep the wind in your face and the sun to your back, and preferably have some cover.
I wouldn't listen to anything Tred Barta says. He's a huge douche bag.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

X2 on Tred Barta being a douche bag. He has a cool name and that is all.

Quick Reply: SCENTLOK, SCENTBLOKER CLOTHING??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.