Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting with a pistol

Old 12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default deer hunting with a pistol

I have never hunted deer with a pistol, but was curious who of you had. I am interested in getting in to it, so was hoping you could provide me with some pistols that would be good for whitetail hunting.

thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: deer hunting with a pistol

Never taken one with a pistol, mostly because Im not loyal to it, but I have a Super Redhawk 44mag with a 2x Leupold on it that is a tack driver. Im going to finish out the season with it with me...along with the rifle of course lol
Old 12-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Ok so maybe tack driver isnt a word to be used for pistols, but it's very accurate imho....from a rest, 1.75-2.00 at 50yds.

It has a 7.5" barrel, they make it in a 9.5" too I think. Very use friendly, light recoil as far as a 44 is concerned. It's heavy though. I love shooting it.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

ruger super redhawk. i have a red dot on mine and shoot hornady 240gr. xtp. all i can say is practice, practice, and practice some more. get a good shooting stick.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

I was told that if you want to take a deer with a pistol, you can never carry a rifle or shotgun with you, as you will always use the longun because of ease and convienence. After 5 years of carrying a 44mag and muzzleloader at the sametime and harvesting 8 deer (none with my pistol) I can understand the rationale.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Spike

Taken two so far. One with the SRH in the picture and one with my dad's Taurus .44. I hunt with them like I do with a bow.

The contender is going with me on the two day hunt here in a week. The open sited smith will go with me when we are driving deer to my little brother. Mainly because it's easy to carry when I'm crawling through briars.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a contender like that in 30-30 that I've taken a few with.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed a doe with my blackhawk in 357,but I think this is the minimum for a deer pistol,I have killed a few groundhogs with it out to about 90 yards off of bags,I am looking to get a contender before next year.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got a doe this year with my Ruger Security-Six .357, 4 inch .

Got it from a treestand at 20yds.

I never took a deer with a handgun until this one. I expected a tracking job but instead she just dropped in her tracks. Took out both lungs.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Spike

ruger redhawk 7 1/2'' stainless with a tasco pro point,handloaded 240gr xtp hornaday bullets pushed by 22grs of 296 powdersweet load.
1'' groups off rest at 50yrds,have taken4 deer here in ohio with it in the last 10yrs.hard 2 put down the long gun,but after i get my 1st one either a with my bow or shotgun, its 44mag the rest of the time.
i'll be using it on are 2day shotgun season the 12/20 an 21 have one tag left an 2 in the freezer,8pt with the crossbow an a big doe with my new 20ga mossberg slugger.i used my 44 the all last week when i was walking
wheni sit with my 44 i do hunt morelike am bow hunting,2 of my kills were under 15yrds/1 at about 40yrds an my longest was just under 75yrds none of them droped in there tracks but none run over 50yrds an 1 drop in sight
shoot shoot an shoot some more get 2 know your gun and it will do 4 you what u want it 2 do
mrtwister

Quick Reply: deer hunting with a pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.