Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Tips

Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Hunting Tips

Anything that you guys have found out that have worked or anything that hasn't worked.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Tips

Just going out into the woods to go hunting doesn't work for me.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 PM

most important thing of all is to stay quiet
Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have found out in my two short years that I have hunted that you have to pay attention...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt where the deer are!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Don't be afraid to call. When it starts getting close to the time that I know bucks are in the search mode looking for does all the way through when the does actually start coming in heat I call aggressively. I'll combine doe bleats with grunts and the new primos buck roar, and unless the situation dictates otherwise, I'm usually calling loudly. The idea being to carry as much distance as I can. I have tested these calling tactics with does and young bucks in range and it doesn't spook them, so you really have nothing to lose. The 2 biggest bucks I've killed were taken after I had been doing some loud grunting. I really like the new primos buck roar, and it definitely works.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stay as still as possible unless in a blind.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to tell people to learn to hunt.

When I started hunting, there weren't any gadgets, scents, calls, decoys, blinds, etc. for deer hunting. You took your bow or gun and went hunting. The focus was on learning deer behavior, interpreting sign, and woodsmanship. That's enough for any new hunter to focus on.

Now when someone gets into hunting, they are faced with an incredible volume of stuff, and are basically made to believe that buying the right stuff will lead to success. The focus has gone away from learning deer, learning how to hunt, andlearning woodsmanship.

If you want a tip from me, I'd say simplify your equipment and focus.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 AM
dnm

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Now when someone gets into hunting, they are faced with an incredible volume of stuff, and are basically made to believe that buying the right stuff will lead to success. The focus has gone away from learning deer, learning how to hunt, andlearning woodsmanship.

If you want a tip from me, I'd say simplify your equipment and focus.
So why not share some of these simpler tips with us new guys?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Go out everytime with the intention to learn. I have been hunting since i was a kid and every year i learn something new. I have gained a lot of knowledge of the years, but what makes you a better hunter is learning from every hour in the woods. Always go in with mind set "what can i learn from this?"

Quick Reply: Hunting Tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.