Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Optics for woods Gun

Old 12-08-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Optics for woods Gun

I have a 30.06 BAR and I hunt by tracking and sitting on watch during drives. The shots are usally at moving deer at close range. I have the stock open sights and I want to be more accurate. I would consider a red dot scope, a peep sight, and a low powered scope. I would like a fixed power 2x scope with a large field of view (safari scope) but can't find one. What do ya think? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Optics for woods Gun

Back in the 50's, I switched from iron sights to a 2.5 power scope for brush hunting. I remember how impressed I was the first time I tracked a running deer with it. I recommend a quality low power scope with a WIDE reticle.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with some kind of red dot scope. That was you'll have the quick aquisition ability.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were putting a scope on a woods gun that was capable of long range accuracy, I'd either put a 1-4x, or to extend it's capability, go with a 2-7x.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 AM

A few people I know including my son and my Uncle use the TruGlow red dot site. My son uses it on his turkey shotgun and my Uncle on his deer shotgun. They all have said good things about it. The base model (no camo and single dot) is very inexpensive. I think it runs right around $50 so you have little to lose in trying one out. The next model up comes with multiple reticles and both a red or green color choice.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 2X7 Leupold on my woods gun.
I personally don't think a 2X offers any help??!!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM

Thanks guys, I saw a truglo 2 power red dot that sounds interesting, I have time to decide so I will shop around.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 3x9x40 works just fine, if you know how to use it...Remember to keep both eyes open when looking through the scope, have the eye relief adjusted properly and have it mounted as low as possible...When you throw that rifle to your shoulder, you should be looking through the scope with no adjustment of the head or neck...

Buy a .22 and put one on it and get used to shooting squirrels, deer will be a piece of cake...
Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Spike

if i were hunting a deer drive i would get rid of the rifle and just get a 12 gauge with slugs or buckshot. but if you insist on getting a scope i'm 100% sold to Leupold. they are kind of expensive but they are great. their variable x1 is their cheapest scope which i have on a .30-30 and on a .308 which works pretty good. but if you want to drop big bucks look into the variable x3. that's what i have on my .30-06 and i will never switch scopes unless this one gets broken, which then i would buy another one (:
Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I shoot a 3X9X40. Its good. put a tack on your wall and practice pulling the gun up, both eyes open, until you center the cross hairs on the tack EVERYTIME without adjusting. You'll learn quick and wont have any problem finding deer!
-jake

Quick Reply: Optics for woods Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.