HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   State Land Stands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/277517-state-land-stands.html)

TheMiz54 12-08-2008 05:57 PM

State Land Stands

Everytime I go hunt the state land or just go to walk through and scout I stuble upon a few permanant stands. Here in NY we are not allowed to leave stands in the State Land but everyone sets them up. it pisses me off because when I hunt it I haul my climber in and it takes me extra time to get in and everything. Im sick of the people that just abuse it. I also found a climber up in a tree with some climbing sticks. My buddy wants me and him to go and take it but I feel bad. But they should not leave their stands up in the first place. Anyone share the same feelings???

SWThomas 12-08-2008 06:20 PM

RE: State Land Stands

Call the game warden and report it. It's probably illegal for them do use climbing stakes also.

TNGal 12-08-2008 06:23 PM

IMO stealing is stealing. I know it is public land and placing and leaving stands are illeagal but have you thought about notifying the proper authorities. I would be upset if I had discovered my stand gone. My husband and I have lost several stands we have had out and this was on private land that we lease with no other hunters on this lease. Nothing like going out to move a stand to find it gone and these stands had cable and locks on them.

TheMiz54 12-08-2008 06:27 PM

Yea thats why I feel bad about taking the stands. These are on State Land the climber is not even locked or anything the permanant wooden ones have locks on them but the other one i found is not. The more I think about it the more I do want to call the warden and show the stand to him.

brushbustin 12-08-2008 07:19 PM

Is it illegal in NY to have permenant stands on public land?Here in TN it is illegal to have permanat stands on public land.If it is illegal I'd report it to the Game Warden.If not,just get over it.But don't steal the mans stand.I'd put a note on it and scare him.I'd say if I come back and find your stand here im going to take it,so take it down.Something along those lines should get them to take it.

fieldbuck 12-08-2008 07:34 PM

honestly i wouldn't worry about it. i'd just leave it there and if someone does take it to bad.

bowanna03 12-10-2008 07:24 AM

don't steal them man that is what puts a bad taste in peoples mouth about hunters. turn them in to the dec or forest ranger

1shotkill1993 12-10-2008 07:32 AM

Call the warden, turn them in. That'll stop them

mountainman08 12-12-2008 09:03 PM

On state land "PERMANENT" stand means a stand that is left up after December 16th or a home built tree fort style stand where things are nailed to a tree. In Allegany county where I live the DEC officer says that it's OK to leave up a climber or hang on stand for the season but recommends locking it to the tree. You can't screw steps into trees so you'll need a climbing stick or strap on steps or a climbing stand. Call your county's DEC office and ask what they think to be sure. Don't steal the guy's stand.

coyote#68 12-12-2008 09:26 PM

Yeah dont lower yourself to stealing them,just report them to the officials.