Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eating road kill! *GASP*

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Eating road kill! *GASP*

ORIGINAL: fastetti

I'd thought Is thrown in that in the Suburbs of Chicago they have an actual list that you have to get your name on and then they will call you when it is your turn. I know the list on some cities is getting pretty long. In the Northern Suburbs I know the list is getting so long you are lucky to get one call a year from the police to pick up a road kill.
Can you PM me with the info on this? I am in the McHenry area and I was never told about this. Want to get on the list.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

PM sent
Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dunno why people are so picky, especially if you are just gonna take the backstraps or hind legs that would not be hurt by internal injuries. If i had a big family and really needed the meat, i would be out cruising the roads looking for roadkill all wintersince it would certainly be less expensive and less trouble that hunting them. However, for those who prefer to shoot their own meat, or likely dont really care that much for the meat and are primiarily interested in the racks anyway, I could see why you wouldnt want to mess with it.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

I've claimed fresh and only fresh roadkill already but it depends how it was hit. I've had some real beat up deer that wasn't really worth keeping. Sometimes you can get lucky where maybe the neck was snapped and most of the meat is good. There's definitly nothing wrong with eating it though. It'll just end up as food for other scavengers.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Thismight sound like a dumb question but if I do this for the first time how will I know what meat I can use and what meat I can not use? Will it be when I open it up I will know right away? With getting two young deer this year I am not going to care that much about the roasts. I would like to get more ground and try some jerky if I get lucky to get a roadkill.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 PM

You'll know if it's bad as soon as you cut it open, the meat will be dark red and feel like gelatin, it may smell foul as well.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: veener88

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

in indiana you have to get a road kill permit from the police to make it legal
Same in IL. Have to call the police. They give you a tag. Take home a deer. All I know is if I hit a deer ever or my dad if it get killed it is coming home.

I would love to get a fresh road kill. I want to get a deer to practice my first butchering on. I just do not want to screw up something that I have shot.

Huh? Not true. In Illinois, you do not need a tag for a roadkill. You can hit and keep as many as you want. And if you don't want it, any resident may take it. You DO need a tag if you're gonna get it mounted or hide tanned.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Spike

As long as it is known fresh I do not understand how anyone could have an issue with it. We had a group bowhunting earlier this year at a state park and a ranger pulled up to our site and let us know a doe just got hit and asked if we wanted it. We picked it up...tasted like any other deer. Very little meat damaged.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

None for me. I get my quota of venison that I set out to get every year. After that I'm strictly big buck hunting or passing. I only go through a certain amount of meat each year. If however I really needed the meat to survive, it was fresh, and undamaged then I probably would. I dont' see anything wrong with the concept of it if someone needs the meat that bad.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

You betcha I ate her! She did $7K damage to my truck!

Quick Reply: Eating road kill! *GASP*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.