Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Walking quietly

Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Walking quietly

ok please do not laugh at my question.

I have 2 stands set up in my woods now. To get to either of these stands I have to walk through the woods and over about 3 acres of DRY crunchy leaves. It never fails 7 out of 10 times I jump deer on the way to my stand in the dark...to never see them again..

Does anyone have any tips to quiet the walking over such dry crunchy leaves...They are very loud at 4:30am when there is no wind and the woods are dead quiet..I take one step and it's CRRRRRRRUUUUCNNHHH!!!....I always hear deer running away when I enter...

I dont have the option of walking along a stream or a cleared path...
I have to walk over there damn noisey leaves...any tips on being quieter?

I've tried walking very very slowly, I've tried tip toing (yes, I tip toed in my boots to my stand before) haha

I've tried everything to be quieter, but these leaves give me away everytime!!!!
Should I go in earlier? I already get to my stand at 4:30 or so give or take a few mins..

I'm just getting frustrated about making too much noise!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Default have the same problem why cant deer be deaf

Code:

Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Walking quietly

Try approaching from a different direction maybe? It also wouldnt help to rake the leaves out of your way say during mid-day, just a little path big enough for you to walk on quietly. (probably the most unrealistic thing to do but never know). Also you could try to get to your stand like you are still hunting, will take longer but could be productive for you.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I know this is gonna sound crazy and I know it's alot of work but if your seriously jumping that many deer then it might be worth it. Rake you off a path from the entrance all the way to your stand. I do it every year before the season starts and then about once a week I take a broom to my stand with me and on my way out of the woods for the day I sweep off my path to keep it clean.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: The Outdoorsman

Try approaching from a different direction maybe? It also wouldnt help to rake the leaves out of your way say during mid-day, just a little path big enough for you to walk on quietly. (probably the most unrealistic thing to do but never know). Also you could try to get to your stand like you are still hunting, will take longer but could be productive for you.
Well, About approaching for a diff direction..the leaves are all around..so any direction I can think of, I have the same problem, unless I tresspass on the neighboors soybean field and then cut across..I'm not sure he'll like that though lol

thanks outdoorsman...like I'm still hunting? do you mean, take a few steps, stop and wait for a few mins, and repeat? I've done that as well..although maybe I should wait a little longer...I only stop for about 45 secs or so..then step again...
thank you..I guess that is relaly my only option, either that or swing through the trees like tarzan on the way to my stand lol..

thanks man
Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Jeremy, that doesn't sound crazy to me at all...at this point I'm willing to do anything!

thank you
Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Still hunting, yes, take a step or two and stop, but the steps must be of great caution to try and not snap twigs and crunch leaves really loud. Its time-consuming I know.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Try a leaf blower. I know a first thought thats crazy, but if most of the leave's have already fallen you can go in one afternoon when deer are bedded up. Blow you a path that is large enough for an ATV to go thru, that way if any wind comes thru chances are it will not fill the main walking area up. I do this every year and its one of the best things I could do to help my hunting season. If you don't have a blower, borrow one or rent one for $30 a day. Best investment you'll make.

The working man.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM

thanks for your help guys..I appreciate it! I am going out in the morning. I will approach VERY slowly tomorrow morning, and then after the morning hunt come back and rake a path to both stands for the saturday hunt.

Thanks guys!

-Scott
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may be set up in the wrong place for a morning hunt if the deer are already there when you get there. Clearing a path will help but if they are already there I still think you will end up with the same results.

Quick Reply: Walking quietly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.