Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Idea Hunting Show

Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Idea Hunting Show

First I want to address a couple comments made;
1. One guy said don't come to Missouri, and I see he is from Missouri. Why?
2. Several people have talked highly about other shows and how they do a good job talking about how they are hunting on their private managed ground, etc... Don't be fooled by that, I recently was ask to do a show on a large high fence deer hunting operation. I did except and when I got there they were telling me about all the people that hunt there year to year. I mean "TV SHOW" People. So I ask them what they wanted from me and they said a show about our operation to sell to hunters. As I am looking at pictures of probably some of the top 10 hunting show HOST setting behind there huge buck shot at this operation. I said why don't I ever see these guys hunting here, he said you do, but they just say we are "hunting in IA." or "were up here in IL hunting on a friends private property". He said but I want you to say you are here to help promote my business. I said what do you get from those other guys, he said referals to some of there big money hunting friends. So again DONT BE FOOLED BY WHAT YOU SEE.

Back to the main topic, I appreciate all comments and had already considered mainy of these ideas. I plan to do something but you have to remember its a TV, which takes time and money to produce. So I'd like to now know would average hunters be willing to put there money where there mouth is and do something completely different to get the show they really want. I'm talking about a show completely sponsored by "Viewers". For example a viewer joins and pays $10.00 per month. He gets to add input to the shows content, possible chance to hunt with show host, you could suggest 3 products you are thinking of buying and I would buy them and try them on air in rough hard conditions. Then share how they really stood up. Basically put the viewer in control. What do you think any takers. Oh, maybe a monthly magazine highlighting items gone over on the last month show so you have all info in writing, etc...
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

I would love to see a show where the host hunts on property that isn't 5000 acres of pristine private managed land where you have to pay 5000 to shoot a 130-140 class buck. I want to see the host go through a progression of shows with a wide variety of land and situations they hunt on. I want him to hunt a 100 acre or less farm during rifle season and let the viewer hear the orange army shooting away on the property over the hill. Or explain that this property owner is trying to shoot mature deer and after the show the host passes on 1.5, 2.5 year old deer and will shoot a doe to finish the show. I would also like to see the host field dress and hang the deer. You never see what happens to the deer after the shot unless they show their mount. Get in their and give us your method of field dressing and butchering a deer. We are all hunters who are watching the show I'm sure we can take a little guts and blood. Give us reasons why you chose the spot you chose. Is it because it's a pinch point between heavy cover and a food source? Is it a travel corridor? Does it lead to a mast of acorns? Is it because their is a strong NW wind and this is the only stand that would work. Okay I'm sure that is a start but I do like this discussion!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM

First I want to address a couple comments made;
1. One guy said don't come to Missouri, and I see he is from Missouri. Why?
2. Several people have talked highly about other shows and how they do a good job talking about how they are hunting on their private managed ground, etc... Don't be fooled by that, I recently was ask to do a show on a large high fence deer hunting operation. I did except and when I got there they were telling me about all the people that hunt there year to year. I mean "TV SHOW" People. So I ask them what they wanted from me and they said a show about our operation to sell to hunters. As I am looking at pictures of probably some of the top 10 hunting show HOST setting behind there huge buck shot at this operation. I said why don't I ever see these guys hunting here, he said you do, but they just say we are "hunting in IA." or "were up here in IL hunting on a friends private property". He said but I want you to say you are here to help promote my business. I said what do you get from those other guys, he said referals to some of there big money hunting friends. So again DONT BE FOOLED BY WHAT YOU SEE.

Back to the main topic, I appreciate all comments and had already considered mainy of these ideas. I plan to do something but you have to remember its a TV, which takes time and money to produce. So I'd like to now know would average hunters be willing to put there money where there mouth is and do something completely different to get the show they really want. I'm talking about a show completely sponsored by "Viewers". For example a viewer joins and pays $10.00 per month. He gets to add input to the shows content, possible chance to hunt with show host, you could suggest 3 products you are thinking of buying and I would buy them and try them on air in rough hard conditions. Then share how they really stood up. Basically put the viewer in control. What do you think any takers. Oh, maybe a monthly magazine highlighting items gone over on the last month show so you have all info in writing, etc...
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Spike

I would do that. Sounds kool and different!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: BATV30997

Any other idea's on this. I will probably just keep posting this over and over until I know everyone has really read it and understands that I want to make a show for the "hunter".
Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Danny D is on track with his suggestion. It would put the show in the realm of reality TV, but picking a couple of locals, scouting the land both physically and with maps, and then filling your tag would be very interesting and potentially informative. This is how we did it and how you (the hunter) can do it too type of thing.

My dislike of most of the current shows is the lack of "over the shoulder" kill shots. The staged camera shots are obvious. No cameraman in his right mind would be out in front of the hunter when he shoots. Plus when tracking a lot of times the camera is already at the kill waiting for the hunters to arrive and state "there he is!" like they just found it. Why not just track it together? We're not stupid. Just show the facts of the matter.

You are welcome to come hunt my private land in Macoupin County Illinois!

Bob R.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM

I do have an un-used Ill. Bow tag? I'd love to start the new season out right with a hunt like this. Should we talk more about me coming there???
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

PM sent
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Spike

I like Danny D's idea as well. I hunt about 40-50 acres. two different spots. I do some food plot work, not high dollar mixes pre-packaged mixes. Plant all sorts of trees, I do it with a 1940's ford 9n I got running. Mow trails, hang stands/scout in summer, shot a few squirrels in aug/sept then enjoy deer-camp atmosphere during season. Show the encounters, the misses, do it over the shoulder. I don't do all the stuff on my land just because I want to shot a deer, I do it to be outdoors, don't sit around a desk and talk about the hunt. (I don't know the name of that show but i can't stand it) I don't mind couples, or humor. Show hunting show that shines a light on conservation and tradition, not kills and products. my opinion
Old 12-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just don't be fake. Don't make it out as if the outfitter is a miracle worker. Don't make the gear used be the only reason the animal was harvested.

Other than that, have fun. If the people in the video are genuinely having fun and that translates thru to the viewer without coming across as put on, that is a good show.

I don't care where you hunt(except maybe Texas, that usually bores me) but I know you have to put kills on video so all these suggestions about "real" world public land type stuff and places with fewer deer densities just ain't a good business practice. And that's ok. I don't know why so many knock it. Hunt where you need to in order to get the footage you need. No one would repeatedly watch a show that just showed some guys wandering around the woods or sitting there seeing nothing.

Quick Reply: Idea Hunting Show

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.