Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bagged a nice little FL doe

Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bagged a nice little FL doe

And so the story goes... I'm down in FL for Thanksgiving and and I happened to bring my Rem 700 .30-06 and all my hunting gear with me. We went to the range with one of my dads friends to site in my rifle and he says he's got a nice little 150 acre lease he'll let me hunt while I'm down. He already has a blind and several stands out there. So my dad and I decide to go the next day. We pulled up, gathered our gear and stepped off. No more than 20 paces from the truck we see a deer in the field. I glass him and he's a nice little 6 point. I decide I'm going to take him because that's a pretty good deer for FL. As I'm getting into the prone he notices us but doesn't immediately bolt. He's about 300 yards away so I tell my dad to glass him in case he runs after the shot we can see where he went. As he's unzipping his pack to get his bino's, the buck walks to the fence and jumps over it into the woods. :-( Oh well, I'll get him later.

So walk the property and see two more deer (does) but we weren't quick enough to get a shot. We call it a day. We come back that night and see two more deer but they were too far away for an accurate shot.

I return the following morning (very cold for FL) and decide to lay in the prone on the edge of the field and wait/glass. 20 minutes later 3 does walk up about 50 feet to my left. I notice them and freeze because they're staring right at me. They checked me out for a little while but I didn't even blink. But I know they had to have seen my breath. The first one moves on, so does the second one shortly after. The third stayed for a few more second and then she joined her crew. They all moved down the filed about 200 meters and then stopped to eat. As soon as their attention turned away from me I sighted in. I picked the biggest one out of the trio and took my shot.

She dropped right where she stood. I used a Remington 180 grain Core Lokt PSP for this shot. She weighed approximately 120 pounds.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bagged a nice little FL doe

Congrats on the doe.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! I guess no one here shoots does....
Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

yea everyone is big bukc master around here[8D]i shot 2 with my bow earlier this year. congrats!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice job.... that's all i'm hoping for for the rest of this gun season... if I get a buck... that is just a plus...
trust me... I shoot does!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. Well done
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love to shoot does, I don't know why. I see so many big bucks killed on TV it just doen't thrill me but put a doe hunt on and I'm glue to the screen.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

After I read your story I got my Florida hunting reg book out to look at the dates of doe hunting and was surprised that the central and south part of the state had doe days a month earlier than the northwest area. Just surprised.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

i shoot does too... cant have enough meat in the freezer, plus there are a ton on the land that i hunt that more need to be shot

Quick Reply: Bagged a nice little FL doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.