Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sick of Hunting Shows!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Default RE: Sick of Hunting Shows!!!

As a current Host and owner of a Hunting Show, I have a couple comments on this subject. My comments might surprise you. First off I do not want to hide anything, I have hunted over feeders, but never shot something under a feeder, I have hunted HUGE whitetails on high fenced ranches. I started Hosting a show about 4 years ago, up and until then I had never hunted such animals as Whitetails and Elk on a ranch or by a feeder. I did it the hard way, good old fashion work. I scouted and scouted and scouted some more to kill that 120 class 8pt. The TV industry changed that on me, my show started out doing what I enjoyed doing scouting and hunting....then showing the viewer how its all put together. The problem was that I could'nt get the rating I needed to stay on the air and to get the sponsors. It cost a show anywhere from $50k to $500K per year in just air time fees, this is whats actually paid to the network airing your show. So to get the ratings, we have to do what sells and that is shot Unbelievible Huge bucks, also we have to promote items we know don't really work. So lets look at both those items, Huge Bucks...I saw a couple post that said they only like watching shows like Drury Outdoors, I don't mean to pick on them but lets think about something...How can 4 guys hunt only 3 states and bow kill enough deer to air 26 new shows per year. They say they hunt MO, Ill and I believe IA, that means at most they get 4 total bucks each for a total of 16 deer in a year but they seem to show multiple kills on 26 new episodes a year and on top of that they are usually over 200". Just some thing to think about next time you are watching. I have found that over my travels to different outfitters, and ranches that many TV shows that say they only hunt a certain place or that they only hunt 100% fair chase is full of crap. When I am at a ranch filming a show and they are showing me pictures of all these big name shows that were just there hunting or showing me actual pictures of these guys and there deer. That say's it all. So now back to me becuase I am one of these guys. For 2009 I am trying to make my show all new, the show is solely paid for by me personally. What that means is that the equipment I am using is the equipment I would use even if I did'nt have a show. Now that does not mean that some company did not give it to me. I will only except items that I have tested and would personally use no matter what. For example; In 2008 I shot BowTech bows, I think they are a great bow, but before I had a show I shot a Mathews bow. Never mind the bow names, I shot a Mathews better there for I turned down my BowTech sponsorship and will be shooting Mathews this season with out a sponsorship. Another example: I shot InnerLoc Broadheads that last 2 seasons, and again good broadhead but NAP Spitfires shoot better for me, therefore I will be shooting the Spitfire this season and yes again it will be unsponsored.
So what I am saying is that I am trying to produce a show that I am only using items I LOVE to USE. I will not be using products because of the amount of money someone is paying me. If an item is sponsored on my show it is because I would shoot it with or with out a show.
As for actual show contact, I really want to give the viewer the best show possible so I am asking allof you what would be your idea show.Please cover everything from content, animals, equipment, help tips, funny parts, etc....

P.S. I did not list my name or show name only because I did that once before a year ago on this site and the administrator said I was trying to advertise. So unless I receive an email from this site administrator saying I can list my show name I will hold off.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to find other stuff to watch, but sometimes the pickin are a bit thin, even w/ 3000 channels so I TIVO a few for when theres nothing else on and fast foward through the commercials. I think hunting shows are strictly for entertainment , and shouldnt be taken too seriously.

I like, NA whitetail, Roger Raglin and Inside Outdoors.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Spike

BATV Sounds interesting Ill watch your show for sure. Real hunts with real people, maybe shootabuck.com will advertise on your show. But I would have to say seeing the monster game and watching them drop is what everyone wants to see!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Well, they spend an arm and a leg like you said, and the guide knows that there are bigger bucks out in that spot, they will pass up on the 150" class deer to get the 170"-175" deer so that the person will get his/her's money worth. If you notice, most of the hunting shows are only 30 minutes long, so they put the main footage in, like where they see a bunch of deer or something and pass up some pretty nice deer to get the bigger deer.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: BATV30997

I really want to give the viewer the best show possible so I am asking allof you what would be your idea show.Please cover everything from content, animals, equipment, help tips, funny parts, etc....

http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=3214440
Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Show me a fair chase hunt or forget it. Anybody can shoot a big buck from inside a high fence. How can you take pride in shooting an animal that will eat out of the palm of your hand and show it on TV. It's just disgusting.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's the nature of the beast in the culture of big racks. It often works like that here too. If someone posts picks of a small buck that they worked their butt off to kill on heavily pressured public land, it will draw a yawn from most folks, or the person will get reamed for not passing on it so that it will be a wall hanger several years down the line. On the other hand, if I shell out a couple thousand bucks to hunt a guaranteed high success rate, "managed" area and take a trophy buck my first huor there, it will get a couple of pages of compliments.Most folkswant to see the big money shot, it is as simple as that.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 PM

I agree...it's not really "hunting". Unless your doing all the work...I can't call it hunting. But, it nice to watch'em to get you pumped up before you head into the woods! Works for me!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Spike

Thats one thing they are definetly good at. PUMPING me up before I go out.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BATV30997

As a current Host and owner of a Hunting Show, I have a couple comments on this subject. My comments might surprise you. First off I do not want to hide anything, I have hunted over feeders, but never shot something under a feeder, I have hunted HUGE whitetails on high fenced ranches. I started Hosting a show about 4 years ago, up and until then I had never hunted such animals as Whitetails and Elk on a ranch or by a feeder. I did it the hard way, good old fashion work. I scouted and scouted and scouted some more to kill that 120 class 8pt. The TV industry changed that on me, my show started out doing what I enjoyed doing scouting and hunting....then showing the viewer how its all put together. The problem was that I could'nt get the rating I needed to stay on the air and to get the sponsors. It cost a show anywhere from $50k to $500K per year in just air time fees, this is whats actually paid to the network airing your show. So to get the ratings, we have to do what sells and that is shot Unbelievible Huge bucks, also we have to promote items we know don't really work. So lets look at both those items, Huge Bucks...I saw a couple post that said they only like watching shows like Drury Outdoors, I don't mean to pick on them but lets think about something...How can 4 guys hunt only 3 states and bow kill enough deer to air 26 new shows per year. They say they hunt MO, Ill and I believe IA, that means at most they get 4 total bucks each for a total of 16 deer in a year but they seem to show multiple kills on 26 new episodes a year and on top of that they are usually over 200". Just some thing to think about next time you are watching. I have found that over my travels to different outfitters, and ranches that many TV shows that say they only hunt a certain place or that they only hunt 100% fair chase is full of crap. When I am at a ranch filming a show and they are showing me pictures of all these big name shows that were just there hunting or showing me actual pictures of these guys and there deer. That say's it all. So now back to me becuase I am one of these guys. For 2009 I am trying to make my show all new, the show is solely paid for by me personally. What that means is that the equipment I am using is the equipment I would use even if I did'nt have a show. Now that does not mean that some company did not give it to me. I will only except items that I have tested and would personally use no matter what. For example; In 2008 I shot BowTech bows, I think they are a great bow, but before I had a show I shot a Mathews bow. Never mind the bow names, I shot a Mathews better there for I turned down my BowTech sponsorship and will be shooting Mathews this season with out a sponsorship. Another example: I shot InnerLoc Broadheads that last 2 seasons, and again good broadhead but NAP Spitfires shoot better for me, therefore I will be shooting the Spitfire this season and yes again it will be unsponsored.
So what I am saying is that I am trying to produce a show that I am only using items I LOVE to USE. I will not be using products because of the amount of money someone is paying me. If an item is sponsored on my show it is because I would shoot it with or with out a show.
As for actual show contact, I really want to give the viewer the best show possible so I am asking allof you what would be your idea show.Please cover everything from content, animals, equipment, help tips, funny parts, etc....

P.S. I did not list my name or show name only because I did that once before a year ago on this site and the administrator said I was trying to advertise. So unless I receive an email from this site administrator saying I can list my show name I will hold off.
I would be careful singleing out a specific show (Drury's). You lose a ton of credibility IMO.

Quick Reply: Sick of Hunting Shows!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.