Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 smoke from house affecting deer? >

smoke from house affecting deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smoke from house affecting deer?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default smoke from house affecting deer?

well i hunt my own land and i wondered if smoke from our chimmney could be driving deer away from my hunting spot. i hunt probably 800 yards away from our house and wondered.
thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: smoke from house affecting deer?

I wouldn't think so.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

doubt it, maybe they won't like it at first. But if they have a reason to come to your place, then they will learn to get used to it.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM

I dont think so....if you have smoke a lot they would get used to it after a while i would think.....
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck no It won't hurt anything. Years ago that's all people had to heat there house with. Deer adapt to stuff better then anything out there!!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think so. I hunted 14 days in colorado, everything I owned smelled like a campfire, and I still got my Bull!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt it very much on one of the farms I hunt the farmer burns wood & the deer have a bedding area 150 yards away
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Shouldn't. My grandfather has an outdoor burner that he burns everything from wood to trash in to heat his house. The smoke can get like thick fog covering everything within a half mile. My cousin (his neighbor) still gets deer coming to his feeder in his back yard each evening even when the smoke covers his yard.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

As others said they will adapt to it and it won't bother them.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all comes down to ifthe deer treats anything as a threat. The smell of chimney smoke is certainly not one of them. Not only are the deer used to it but they have learned from other deer that smoke is of no concern.

My Springer is always chasing tennis balls in the back yard and the deer know it. His scent is everywhere. I have seen deer within 50 yds of the house even when the dog is outside. They are aware he is there but they realize no direct threat exists. Now if I take him bird hunting and he comes close to deer, they vanish in a flash. Those deer react totally different and for totally different reasons. The smell of smoke in the woods would alert any deer and they react accordingly. But the smell of smoke from a house chimney is treated as just another natural scent in their woods.

Quick Reply: smoke from house affecting deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.