Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rain

Old 11-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default rain

i was out a while ago and just got in becasue it was raining a lot and my stuff was getting soaked. is hunting in the rain a good time to hunt or a bad time?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rain

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

i was out a while ago and just got in becasue it was raining a lot and my stuff was getting soaked. is hunting in the rain a good time to hunt or a bad time?
It depends. If it's pouring, there's no sense being out there unless you can stay dry. The deer will normally hunker down when it's raining hard, and get up to move as it stops. They will also feed earlier when they know it's going to rain, and somehow they usually do.

Don't put yourself at risk of geting sick. Also remember that if you hit one and it runs off a ways, you will be tasked with following a blood trail that is constantly being washed away. Priority one should be a quick kill, with recovery a must.

On the other hand a light rain is a great time to hunt. It quiets the woods down and also keeps your scent down, with no sun or shadows to contend with. Get a pair of yellow shooting glasses for hunting in rainy and foggy situations. They seem to increase our ability to see in this type of weather, making the deer and their movements stand out.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

no, i dont hunt in rain..
over years most of time you only get wet.

i kept log book for last 35 years and no many , if any bucks we got or others were killed during a rain.

hunters dont like WALKING in rain, so, deer dont get pushed and they will sit until dark if they are pressured deer.

so, i say , go to camp and get warm, wait until weather is nicer.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah its not fun getting soaked
Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

It rained all day Saturday and we had company so I didn't hunt. It rained Sunday and we still had company so I didn't hunt in the morning. Company left at noon. At 1 PM it was grey and drizzling. I suited up and drove to the club. It was still drizzling when I got there. I walked in under a poncho and sat in a ground blind with no overhead cover. The rain stopped at about 3:30. All my scent had been scrubbed from the area. At 4:30 it got spookyquiet, dead silence in the pines. I got ready. At 5:30 that big doe I've been looking forwalked within 20 yards of me but I didn't have a shot. She didn't make a sound but she also didn't notice me. Now I know her preferred trail. I will bein a better spotthis weekend. To me, that was a good hunt.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

It rained all day Saturday and we had company so I didn't hunt. It rained Sunday and we still had company so I didn't hunt in the morning. Company left at noon. At 1 PM it was grey and drizzling. I suited up and drove to the club. It was still drizzling when I got there. I walked in under a poncho and sat in a ground blind with no overhead cover. The rain stopped at about 3:30. All my scent had been scrubbed from the area. At 4:30 it got spookyquiet, dead silence in the pines. I got ready. At 5:30 that big doe I've been looking forwalked within 20 yards of me but I didn't have a shot. She didn't make a sound but she also didn't notice me. Now I know her preferred trail. I will bein a better spotthis weekend. To me, that was a good hunt.
i had to laugh,not making fun of you but your story is funny.

way you started the story,I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE A HUGE BUCK

when you said it was DOE, honestly, i laughed so hard i hurt my ribs.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in the rain because now I have water-proof clothes, so it doesn't bother me. I used to not too when I didn't have weather-proof clothes.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I don't mind hunting in a drizzle but anything more is annoying.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

When there is a fairly light rain, it is a great time to be hunting. IF you can stay comfortable! I like to get to my stand even if its raining pretty good! That way, I'm already there if it stops raining and clears up. If the deer have not been moving in the rain, they will usually start moving soon after it starts to clear. Bucks like to get out and freshen up their scrapes after it rains.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Deleted for skirting the profanity filter, used $ for 2. Violation of Rule number 1.

Quick Reply: rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.