Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why would you ever leave the woods? >

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why would you ever leave the woods?

I posted this reply in anothern thread:

My (our) normal times are all day - dark 'til dark. We always stay in the woods all day, never leaving. It's a personal choice and I understand a lot of hunters leave during mid-day hours but we stay all day for one simple reason. We love being in the woods and hunting deer.

I understand there are outside factors that require leaving the woods; family/work obligations, health issues, nasty weather conditions, etc but I could never understand why folks leave the woods and only hunt 50-60% of the hunting day. Sure, the chances of success may decrease during mid-day and that tells me some hunters only want to be around when their chances are the best. A plan I never understood, especially if there is no outside reason to leave.

Just my 2 cents

Why leave?
Tired? Hungry? Not fun anymore?

Just curious
Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why would you ever leave the woods?

Kinda like "small deer" thread. I'll never understand the need to shoot a small seer (especially if they are so abundant that you can tag 5 in a 2 day period). You'll never understand why people leave early. It is as some said in that thread, a personal choice and should be of no concern to you. You should be glad that your out there alone as the pressure is off from 10 to 2.

Kind of a crappy answer, but that was kind of how me and a couple other guys were treated when we spoke against killing a 59 lbs deer.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: teedub31

Kinda like "small deer" thread. I'll never understand the need to shoot a small seer (especially if they are so abundant that you can tag 5 in a 2 day period). You'll never understand why people leave early. It is as some said in that thread, a personal choice and should be of no concern to you. You should be glad that your out there alone as the pressure is off from 10 to 2.

Kind of a crappy answer, but that was kind of how me and a couple other guys were treated when we spoke against killing a 59 lbs deer.
Of course I will understand. I posted this for folks to answer it.
If a hunter leaves, it's his/her choice. There's nothing wrong with that. I was curious as to why. Nothing more, nothing less.

You are right about one thing - It is kind of a crappy answer.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Well I don't hunt the "woods" so this question may not be for me, but here in the plains, the deer really do not move much during the day, if at all. And the big guys usually stay bedded. I will go out and sit in the morning, and see deer right away still feeding, and then watch them go to bed down by 8 or 8:30. Then go out and sit in the afternoon and see them start moving again around 4:30. Where I hunt, we have literally thousands of acres to ourselves, so nobody is out pushing these deer around during the day, unless we are, so it does not pay to sit in the stand between the hours of 9 AM and 4 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get bored by about 9:30. My stands aren't comfortable enough to sit more than 3-4hrs.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Site Buck Guru

I hunt so many days in a row that I become like a deer. Between 9 -10 AM, I get hungry, eat then bed down. I get up early afternoon and stay on stand until dark. This method seems to work for me.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't sit for that long in my stands. My butt starts cramping and hurting. Then I get cold. Then I get hungry. Then I get tired and I can go home and take a nap in my comfortable bed in between naps. Then I have to use the bathroom, and I would like to be able to sit on a comfortable toilet. Thats why.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

To eat, put corn out at other stands, talk to hunting buddies, lay down and take a nap, etc. My stands are normally uncomfortable and i hunt alot, so i leave the woods frequently. I'm only 10-15 minutes from my house anywhere i hunt so i'm coming back for lunch.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:24 AM

A.D.D.........
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

at 10 it becomes boring, cold, hungry, tired, and im back at by 1 so how much could i be missing.

Quick Reply: Why would you ever leave the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.