Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Begginner and frustrated

Old 11-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Begginner and frustrated

Hey, ya'all. I'm patrioticfarmchick. This will be my first post on your alls fourum. I really like it and have already learned a bit. Well, I just went deer huntin' for the first time three weeks ago. I have had been wanting to go since I was nine. I'm a freshman now. A guy friend took me, but at the time it was took hot and we didn't even see any.

I have land. I know how to safely use a gun. There was no reason for me not to go hunting on my own land. So, I went to Bass Pro, bought myself a blind, unsent detergent and hunter orange and on the way home got a hunting lisense and tag. Been out a few times and haven't seen anything.

Here is a newbie questionfor ya: Is is normal tonot even see a deer?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Begginner and frustrated

Probably depends where you are at and what you mean by being out. When I was growing up in southern Illinois there were not a lot of deer and one could easily spend the whole day in the stand and not see a deer. Now it is pretty rare to go an entire day without seeing a single deer there. However, if you are just going out for a little while, then you may not see deer even if there are lots of them.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

absolutely, i sometimes go without seeing anything. The key is to scout your area, look for good deer sign. Bedding areas, thickets, food sources. persistence is key
Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on where you hunt. Where I hunt, no, that is not normal, I always see deer. But, out here, I can see for miles at a time. Where you hunt, it might be an entirely different story. Don't give up yet. When you get that first one in range, you will know why we all do this.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. That is why its called hunitng. It took my 6 years to kill my first one.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im new too, but WELCOME 1st of all

Not seeing deer ,even though theyre probably right under your nose, is very normal unfortunately. Dont worry though, thats what makes the hunts that you do see deer, so exiting.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Sorry to get off track, but, what kept ya motivatedduring those6 years? This is my third year and have yet to get one either.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: needmorecoffee

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Sorry to get off track, but, what kept ya motivatedduring those6 years? This is my third year and have yet to get one either.
Hung out with a lot of good hunters that kept me encouraged, and every time I would see a deer it got me so excited it kept me going till the next time.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've gone days without seeing any. But thats where snooping around comes in. Get yourself an aerial map and laminate it. Take a dry erase marker and walk all your property. When you find trails, rubs, scrapes, beds or whatever mark it on your map. You'll be able to see where the areas of most usage may be. Then, since Christmas is right around the corner, ask for a trail camera or two. Very helpful and exciting to see whats out there. Don't give up and good luck.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Hi farmchick,

As my dad used to say when I was a little boy, "thats why they call it huntin and NOT deer watchin" ...heh
I am not sure how normal it is for everyone else, but I'm a beginner too (in my 3rd season) and I've only killed a handfull of deer.. I can go a few weeks w/o seeing a thing! then days like last monday happened and it keeps me going. I saw the biggest deer I've seen while hunting (a 9 point) but it was out of range for me. So when I wake up at 4am on those COLD COLD mornings and debate getting out of my warm bed, I think about that 9 point and think "today is the day" and usually happens its NOT, but yeah, that keeps me going.

Keep learning all you can learn, and dont give up. you've only been at this a short time..it will happen for you!

Keep asking questions, keep readin, and most of all keep huntin!!

Good luck

Quick Reply: Begginner and frustrated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.