Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wi opening

Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wi opening

With the begining of Wisconsin gun season this coming weekend I dont think i have been this excited since my first year hunting 20 years ago. I dont know if its all the press about hunting this year or the fact that after 15 years I finally got out bowhunting again or for the first time that I can remember the season is going to fall in the heart of rut. I dont know if anybody else ever gets this way but I just thought I would share.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wi opening

Glad you are excited, good luck, hunt safe.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you you to
Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 PM

MAN JUST GLAD TO SEE YA BACK IN THE GAME, GO GETTEM KILLER.....
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm hunting here in WI too, up in Lake Tomahawk. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: instinct

With the begining of Wisconsin gun season this coming weekend I dont think i have been this excited since my first year hunting 20 years ago....I dont know if anybody else ever gets this way but I just thought I would share.
I'm very much looking forward to season opener on Saturday (and the ensuing days since I've only taken one deer on opening day so far).

ORIGINAL: instinct

...for the first time that I can remember the season is going to fall in the heart of rut.
This caught my attention. I read in the local (35 miles) paper that season is later than usual and the rut will be over by gun season. My friend heard a radio clip the other day out of Eau Claire that likewise indicated the rut was about over.

On the other hand, none of my friends who live in the country have seen a lot of activity yet.

What makes you think the rut will be in full swing during gun season this year? I'm both curious and optimistic.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I am basind this on information from me and my buddies. This is just an observation from bow hunting and other talk. The does up until last weekend still ran with their fawns. My friends while bow hunting and shinning deer have noticed alot of fawn wandering by themselves which after talking about it we came to the coclusionthat bucks might have ran off the fawns for he rut. This is only an observation and nothing more its not based on scientific fact or any other reasoning. We are by no means experts again just our opinion and general observations.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Spike

I believe Rut will still be on during gun. At least in Necedah where I hunt. It was so dam warm this year.I was bow hunting the weekend of 11-1 and the bucks werent even chasing does yet. I also talked to the game warden up there in a very lengthy conversation and he was saying talks within DNR circles predicted a very late rut this year due to the moon phase. ( if ya believe in that )
Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think rutting action will still be going. I shot my buck with the bow, so I'm going to sit with Dad this year and back him up, it's been over 20 years since we did that but in a reverse role. I might take a doe if he gets a buck to fill out a sausage order.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the bucks have finished there job in your area, you can bet they are still going to be looking for a little more action. I am definitely going to drag a scent line to my stand Saturday. My bleat can is going to be busy come daybreak too. The last opener I bagged a buck was in 2005, hopefully I have a season like that again this year. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!!!!! BE SAFE.

Quick Reply: Wi opening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.