Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Foods Plots vs Baiting

Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 AM

Default Foods Plots vs Baiting

Why is that a hunter can leave a food plot out all deer season yet when you put out a game camera to see what is on your land you have to pick up all of the bait 2 weeks before the season starts. Oh and by the way it is Missouri I am talking about. Maybe that explains right there.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Foods Plots vs Baiting

the way i look at it is this: food plots provide added nutrition for antler growth and over all health for the entire year. this means a healthier deer heard. baiting is used solely as a quick fix in hopes of bringing deer to a specific area to either shoot or catch on trail camera's.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM

I don't know about FL, but here in MO thereare plenty of crops for the deer to eat. The population of deer are well feed. In fact the population of deer are almost a nuisance. When you see more dead along the road then when out hunting there is a problem.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: betheman

I don't know about FL, but here in MO thereare plenty of crops for the deer to eat. The population of deer are well feed. In fact the population of deer are almost a nuisance. When you see more dead along the road then when out hunting there is a problem.
then why bait? most of the area's that plant food plots do not have an abundance of agricultural crops like corn, soy beans, pea's, etc.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM

Not baiting just wondering what everyone felt the difference would be.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

the way i look at it is this: food plots provide added nutrition for antler growth and over all health for the entire year. this means a healthier deer heard. baiting is used solely as a quick fix in hopes of bringing deer to a specific area to either shoot or catch on trail camera's.
Camocop, not meaning to start anything, but where I was allowed to bait in Michigan, you could bait from October 1st to the end of the year, I thought it was a prime time to help the deer build up there winter fat supply so in escense all the deer you were not harvesting, you were helping through the winter. That was just my opinion though.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Im not really for or against baiting, but can see advantages to it. Problem is here in Pittsburgh, PA that alot of the areas where hunting is permitted are very very over hunted! We hunt a private 60 acre farm here in WMU 2B and alot of our deer sightings have alot to do with when the farmers cut the corn on the other properties surrounding...when it finally all comes down we have many more deer sightings...Well its finally all down here...

Aside from that, alot of the areas around the homes and housing complexes here in the suburbsare over run with deer and you cannot gain access to hunt them. Baiting here in WMU 2B would solve alot of problems with both home owners and discourged hunters. It would get the deer into the areas where hunters could legally take them, as well as solve alot of the problems with homeowners, as well asdrivers who continue to butcher deer here on a daily basis.

WMU 2B which is Alleheny countyallocates 60,000Antlerless tags each season like a vendetta vs the whitetail deer. Half of which are still available here. The hunters who can gain accessin legal areas thin the deer herds in a hurry with the antlerless tagswhile the suburban deercontinue to thrive with the only thing thinning their numbers is the traffic.

I have seen more giant deer around my parents house than anywhereelseI have everhunted.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

Camocop, not meaning to start anything, but where I was allowed to bait in Michigan, you could bait from October 1st to the end of the year, I thought it was a prime time to help the deer build up there winter fat supply so in escense all the deer you were not harvesting, you were helping through the winter. That was just my opinion though.
baiting is legal here on private land as long as you can prove you have been baiting well before hunting season (i can't remember the exact time frame). this way it does help the herd instead of just helping your success on a kill.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

Im not really for or against baiting, but can see advantages to it. Problem is here in Pittsburgh, PA that alot of the areas where hunting is permitted are very very over hunted! We hunt a private 60 acre farm here in WMU 2B and alot of our deer sightings have alot to do with when the farmers cut the corn on the other properties surrounding...when it finally all comes down we have many more deer sightings...Well its finally all down here...

Aside from that, alot of the areas around the homes and housing complexes here in the suburbsare over run with deer and you cannot gain access to hunt them. Baiting here in WMU 2B would solve alot of problems with both home owners and discourged hunters. It would get the deer into the areas where hunters could legally take them, as well as solve alot of the problems with homeowners, as well asdrivers who continue to butcher deer here on a daily basis.

WMU 2B which is Alleheny countyallocates 60,000Antlerless tags each season like a vendetta vs the whitetail deer. Half of which are still available here. The hunters who can gain accessin legal areas thin the deer herds in a hurry with the antlerless tagswhile the suburban deercontinue to thrive with the only thing thinning their numbers is the traffic.

I have seen more giant deer around my parents house than anywhereelseI have everhunted.
sounds to me as if your state should adopt an archery only hunt around those populated area's you speak of. this would also solve the problem and would be a better solution then legalizing baiting. baiting won't bring all the deer away from the suburban area's but being able to hunt them with a bow in those area's would put hunters in the area's with all the suburban deer. plus it could be used as an extended season to increase the oppertunity to hunt for all hunters.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Texas, you can plant food plots and use deer feeders. I hunt both. I have just as much luck hunting both as well as travel routes to and from both. Guess what? Deer need water too. Should people have to drain stock tanks and lakes that they dig on thier property because something wild might try to drink from it?

Quick Reply: Foods Plots vs Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.