Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A .270 Sucks????

Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Banned

Default RE: A .270 Sucks????

6mm from 280yds? Look at the numbers from lordal, there isnt a chits worth of difference between those calibers.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in the area of Texas that I hunt the .270 has not been a fan favorite. I have seen a lot of deer lost with the .270 rather than any other caliber. Does it suck? Well for me it does, and I will never buy another. The .270 was the first rifle that I bought myself when I turned 18. I had 3 sour accounts with it and sold it. The first was 75 yard broad side shot on a mule deer buck that bounced off as if not shot. My dad dumped him with one shot at 280 yards with a 6mm. We found my bullet stuck in the shoulder next to the shoulder bone. The second was on an Aoudad sheep. Made another perfect shoulder shot at 250 yards to see the big ram stand there as if not hit. The second shot was a little back and at least put the ram on the run. My buddy put the third and final shot in him with a 7mm-08 from over 300 yards which dropped him in step. The third and last mishap with that gun was yet another well placed shoulder shot on a whitetail doe from 150 yards. When I shot her she jumped srtaight up in the air like she was hit good. I didn't expect her to go far. We found a good blood trail and tracked her for about 200 yards until we lost the blood. My cousin shot a doe that evening about a 1/2 mile away from my blind with a bullet under the skin where I shot the doe earlier. So as far as the .270 goes, I would agree with the sales man. Maybe he should keep his trap shut and just sell the gun but I would've added fuel to the fire if I'd been there. After selling it I bought a 6mm that I am in love with. I have never had an animal that I've shot run far, except a big hog. P.S. Dont like the 30-06 either, I am now a .308 fan.

If you think the .270 is worse than a 6mm, 7mm-08 or .308, you obviously don't know a heck of a lot about hunting or ballistics. All 4 of these cartridges will kill deer reliably if the shooter does his part. To say that the .270 is inferior to these others is pure nonesense! There are a ton of calibers that will kill deer out there and the .270 is not one of the most popular rounds because it's a lousy deer killer!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: lorddal

ORIGINAL: dkhamner

Here in the area of Texas that I hunt the .270 has not been a fan favorite. I have seen a lot of deer lost with the .270 rather than any other caliber.

Does it suck? Well for me it does, and I will never buy another. The .270 was the first rifle that I bought myself when I turned 18. I had3 sour accounts with it and sold it.

The first was 75 yardbroad side shot on a mule deer buck thatbounced off as if not shot. My daddumped him with one shot at 280 yards with a 6mm. We found my bullet stuck in the shouldernext to the shoulder bone.

The second was on an Aoudad sheep. Made another perfect shoulder shot at 250 yards to see the big ram stand there as if not hit. The second shot was a little back and at least put the ram on the run. My buddy put the third and final shot in him with a 7mm-08 from over 300 yards which dropped him in step.

The third and last mishap with that gun was yet another well placed shoulder shot on a whitetail doe from 150 yards. When I shot her she jumped srtaight up in the air like she was hit good. I didn't expect her to go far. We founda good blood trail and tracked her for about 200 yards until we lost the blood. My cousin shot a doe that evening about a 1/2 mile away from my blind with a bullet under the skin where I shot the doe earlier.

So as far as the .270 goes, I would agree with the sales man. Maybe he should keep his trap shut and just sell the gun but I would've added fuel to the fire if I'd been there.

After selling it I bought a 6mm that I am in love with. I have never had an animal that I've shot run far, except a big hog.

P.S.
Dont like the 30-06 either, I am now a .308 fan.
I have to call BS on this one your telling me you found the bullet from a 270 lodged under the skin what were you shooting reloads that were way way way underloaded I have killed many deer with a 270 and several shot directly through the shoulder with dramatic results I.E. once the bullet struck bone it basicly blew out the front part of the shoulder and rib cage.
neither I nor my brother who by the way is a retired gunsmith have ever seen a 270 bullet fail to penetrate a deer no matter where it was shot. and as for your P.S. well I wont even get into that one here other than to say that has to be the most BS laden post I have seen on here for a while P.S heres a bit of Data for you on all 3 cal. 308 30-0 and 270

308 Win.

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
150 GR. NOS BT IMR IMR 3031 .308" 2.800" 40.2 2658 44,300 PSI 43.5C 2881 59,200 PSI
30-06
Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
150 GR. NOS BT IMR IMR 3031 .308" 3.250" 43.0 2697 47,600 PSI 46.7 2887 59,300 PSI
270 win
150 GR. HDY SP IMR IMR 4895 .277" 3.285" 41.5 2560 44,500 CUP 44.5 2704 50,600 CUP
I have to agree with loaddal on what he said about the .270. With all the deer I have shot, when they were hit in the shoulders, the bones were shattered and they were not going to get very far. I am not saying dkhamner is lying, it is too bad he had a bad experience with it. And I have to agree with dkhamner, the 308 is a great round also, used it for many years with great results.

And a final note, as said a few times here, shot placement is the big thing. My father-in-law uses a 7mm Rem Mag and has lost a few deer with it because of bad shot placement.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dkhamner

Here in the area of Texas that I hunt the .270 has not been a fan favorite. I have seen a lot of deer lost with the .270 rather than any other caliber.

Does it suck? Well for me it does, and I will never buy another. The .270 was the first rifle that I bought myself when I turned 18. I had3 sour accounts with it and sold it.

The first was 75 yardbroad side shot on a mule deer buck thatbounced off as if not shot. My daddumped him with one shot at 280 yards with a 6mm. We found my bullet stuck in the shouldernext to the shoulder bone.

The second was on an Aoudad sheep. Made another perfect shoulder shot at 250 yards to see the big ram stand there as if not hit. The second shot was a little back and at least put the ram on the run. My buddy put the third and final shot in him with a 7mm-08 from over 300 yards which dropped him in step.

The third and last mishap with that gun was yet another well placed shoulder shot on a whitetail doe from 150 yards. When I shot her she jumped srtaight up in the air like she was hit good. I didn't expect her to go far. We founda good blood trail and tracked her for about 200 yards until we lost the blood. My cousin shot a doe that evening about a 1/2 mile away from my blind with a bullet under the skin where I shot the doe earlier.

So as far as the .270 goes, I would agree with the sales man. Maybe he should keep his trap shut and just sell the gun but I would've added fuel to the fire if I'd been there.

After selling it I bought a 6mm that I am in love with. I have never had an animal that I've shot run far, except a big hog.

P.S.
Dont like the 30-06 either, I am now a .308 fan.
What bullet were you using?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 AM

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: T.Gsportsman

maybe confused with 30-30? [/blockquote]

And just what is that suppose to mean? The 30-30is a fine deer rifle and has a proven track record in the field.
[/blockquote]

Agreed. As far as the sales guy, that kid sounds like he's either a magnum guy or loyal to the 30.06.

No one has ever been able to explain to me why a caliber with as poor balistics, only availible in a lever action guns, and as one dimensional as the thuddy thuddy deserves its popularity.
It looses energy past 200 and is marginal at best at such a range, horrible tragectory except with new hornady rounds(which almost ruin my credibilty here) It shoots big flat nosed bulletslumbering along at 1900 fps(2200 just outofthe muzzle)carries only a bare minimum of 858 ft lbs(150gr) and 989 (170gr) at 200. It only dropstwo feet at 300 and to top it off its recoil is simmilar to a 7mm08,.243,.257 roberts, 25-06 etc,all proven whitetail killers which far outshoots it at any range. Its only availble in lever action guns, which are not usually the most acurrate. single shot (most accurate) the bolt action, semi auto and lever probably tied. I amI no way saying that its not capable of taking whitetails(so is a .22)and its probably at home in the thick of the woods, but thats it.What youhave is a one dimensional deep woods gun,(make mine a 12ga slugger)that you leave in the cabinet when you are shooting out west or at home, aiming at"long" range woodchucks.

30 years ago outdoor life was calling it a in in ineffecient cartrige, I have read more than one book that states its responsible for more than a few lost deer.
That said I just dont see why when there are so many better flatter, faster and more energy packing calibers out there the ol 30-30 still is so popular. It's a cartrige thats more built on tradition than it is perfrormance. And for me its performance is just unnacceptable.
Trevor

P.S
HoweverI may dissagreethe popularity of a particularcailiber, it is true that the best killing gun is the one you are most accurate with. Shot placement is critical with any gun at any range. So if you shoot it well thats the best gun for you. I am not trying to stir updivision amongstHUNTERS becuase we all need to band together.I wish you all a safe hunting season.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is about tradition so if the 30-30 carries tradition I use it. That said my go to is a .270 but just because a better round comes out doesn't mean the previous that is out preformed is obsulete. The vast majority of deer killedare under 150 yards many hunters have never killed one past that the 30-30 works fine within those limits. Now out west you may need something more but the majority of America is not open plains it woods.And the truth is its not that hard to kill a deer only 600lbs of energy and 1000 fps and you got it the 30-30 has that.

Yes there are better rounds like I said I have a 270 and I have a 300 WBY on the way. Do I need a 300 WBY for deer? NO its more of a why not. The 30-30 was my first deer rifle my father gave it to me at 17 it has taken many deer over the years and it is going with me this weekend as I take a first time hunter out and continue tradition.

The 30-30 is a fine round that was a first of its kind (smokeless powder). It killed deer back then and it still does. The only reason people lose deer is bad placement, bad impatient trackingor the wrong bullet.

Not trying to start anything just respecting that which has earned it. Ok, I'm done hijacking this thread.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll also call foul on my fellow Texan's assessment of the .270 winchester.

Originally I thought, maybe he was just using a poor choice of ammunition, but there is no way he is going to be able to get the bullet out there 200+ yards and hit an animal with any load and not put it down with the hits he is describing. I've shot a rut crazed Montana mule deer through the front shoulder with a .270 and it also didn't make it through the skin of the deer..... On the opposite side of the deer after breaking through both shoulders and dropping the deer in it's tracks.

I would have to say that the .270 is close to a perfect caliber for deer. I loved the .270 I shot growing up.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

One other thing that I would like to point out...The right or wrong bullet can make a huge difference...

Between my brothers and hunting buddies, we use .243s, .260s, 7mm-08s, .308s, .270s, .280s,
30-06s, .270 WSM and .300 Mag...

All of these have lost deer and all have killed numerous deer...You need to do your research on bullet types and use a proper bullet for the ranges you will be shooting...

Deer that we lose are usually lost for3 reasons...1) The guy flinched, plain and simple and made a bad shot...2) The guy held wrong for the angle that the deer was standing, ie...He held behind the shoulder when the deer was quarting to him, resulting in the bullet taking out one lung and the exit being plugged with intestines resulting in a poor or no blood trail and 3) The guy shooting too late in the evening, so he isn't sure exactly where the deer was standing, where it ran or even where he held...
Old 11-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 270 as i have stated in this post already. You shoot one in thefront shoulder and its not going anywhere!...Now ive never lined up on a 200lb buck, and can imagine your heart racing as you struggle to pull the trigger to deliver a clean blow....Iimagineit might be hard not to pull a round a few inches from where you wanted.

BUT! If you have a deer quartering towards you, are confident in the gun and its accuracy, want the meat, and dont want to mount, Neck Shot! It will absolutly floor them. I put a 130grain bullet in a does neck last year and wow, it about took her head off...

The damage is intense, you save all the meat, the deer probaly wont take 1 step, best of all if you hit em right it will separate the throat eliminating the reach when you go to field dress.

On a trophy buck im shooting for the boiler room, but on does im taking out the neck.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM

Well I for one love the .270 for deer. Its all I hunt with, and I have shot about 10 deer with it, and 3 moose. I have never lost an animal with it.

Just this week I shot a good heavy 8pnt, around 200lbs, one shot, he fell with about 30 yrds from impact right in the feild. His lungs where gone........

there was no exit, but when we clean him, the damage was pretty big, and the bullet was against the hide on the far side. It did all the damage it needed to.

Quick Reply: A .270 Sucks????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.