Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First gun

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM

Default First gun

What would be an ideal first gun im 19 and big boned lol it would be used for deer and home defense. i was lookin at a "plinker" or some bull****. it seemed too small for deer. it was a .22

help?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: First gun

where do you live first off? Some states have regulations, such as shotgun only and such. Also what is your price range?
-Jake
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

.22 are illegal to hunt big game in many states...I would recommend a .308 or a 270. good luck
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM

i live in nj. southern -ish part near manahakwin. i plan on shooting at either stafford forge or bass river. my price range is probablly no more then 500 on a rifle... but i was looking at the mossberg shotguns with i find to be woth it but mayb not for deer. and i would rarely go out to hunt.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

check your state regulations. New Jersey I think allows rifles but I am not certain. If rifles are ok, go with a .308, .30-06,.270, 7mm, any of these are great choices. As far as which rifle look around and see what feels best. Hold several different rifles until you find what you like.
-Jake
Old 11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

nor rifle hunting in nj dont be lazy and read some stuff here
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/
that will explain everything then ask questions
so i guess shotgun will be your choice
hope you posses a fid (firearm identification )whicj you must apply for before purchasing a shotgun takes anywhere between 90 days to 6 months read some info from link above and feel free to call them they will be more then happy to answear your questions thats what they are there for .
Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Home defence and a rifle really dont mix...have you hunted before? Are you familiar with firearms?

Pump Shotgun with buckshot says "GET OUT!" very easily....Shotgun with a slug now your hunting.

Why are you 19 and worrying about home defence anyways???

IfI were buying a rifle for hunting deer Id get a 270win...If i were buying a gun for home defence id have a hand gun or a 12gauge shotgun loaded up with 00 Buckshot.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

Home defence and a rifle really dont mix...have you hunted before? Are you familiar with firearms?

Pump Shotgun with buckshot says "GET OUT!" very easily....Shotgun with a slug now your hunting.

Why are you 19 and worrying about home defence anyways???

IfI were buying a rifle for hunting deer Id get a 270win...If i were buying a gun for home defence id have a hand gun or a 12gauge shotgun loaded up with 00 Buckshot.
he can get a rifle but will have to hunt out of state .
no rifles in nj closest thing is muzzleloader.
and according to this post , some time before he gets anything he must apply for fid first ,then schedule a required safety course .
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3162658
Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

this might discurage or help some good luck
http://64.23.13.102/nj/weaponlaws/