Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season >

Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 AM

Default Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

I did a search and I couldn't find anything like this.

So, I was wondering what are some of your ways to keep warm during rifle season?

One thing that works great for me is this. If you have convertible mitts (the ones that have the cut-off fingers), you take the toe heat packs that have the adhesive on them and put them in the mitten flap on the gloves. Keeps you fingers nice and toasty!

Anyone else?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

I will put on pants and a long sleeve t shirt. Florida gets down to 60 degrees during the day sometimes. BBRRR
Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

My recipe for climbing treestand hunting:
- Pack clothes up the tree. Dress cold and add layers in the tree.
- Wear a 3 pocket fleece vest under the shell, but outside the insulation layers. Put 3 handwarmers in it.
- Use high gram weight Thinsulate boots with electric socks. Loosen the laces once in the tree.
- Wear a hat, tuck handwarmer in rolled edge, when needed. Wear hood to keep wind off face.

Another cool trick I don't use, but like is to pack a sleeping bag for your feet and legs. IMO, it is hard to balance between sweaty and cold on the bottom due to exertion getting to and up the tree. A sleeping bag would do this, but of course adds some clumbsiness when in the stand. I'm surprised someone doesn't make a hunters blanket which covers feet and legs with suspenders or the like on top for like $35.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM

Under Armour Base Layer 2
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Spike

Here are a few...

1) No cotton directly against your body. It retains moisture.
2) Place two adhesive heat packs on your low back (kidney area; not directly on your skin though)
3) Spray your feet with unscented Sure brand spray antiperspirant deodorant which helps keep your feet from sweating. Wear polypropyleneliners and wool socks.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

haha i look the pilsbury doughboy when i got out

i wear marino wool socks
my pajama pants under my camo pants
a t-shirt, then a longsleeve thinsulate shirt, a thick hoodie, then a long sleeve military button up, with a thin jacket on top
a wind proof balaclava over my face with a cap, and thick gloves.

that kept me warm, and it was about 40 with a strong wind the only problem i had was the marino wool is so thick that my feet sweat, but they never got cold

there is a line of clothing that i found i australia from a company called snowgum, its designed forsnow conditions, its made from marino and is super thin and wont make you sweat, it regulates your body temp and allows heat to curculate and you only have to wear a t-shirt, jacket and a pair of pants but it is super expensive, a t-shirt goes for about AU$120 and jackets up to $400. its worth looking into if you are hunting in the snow
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Spike

The key is to not sweat...pack out your heavy clothes and then put them on when you get in your stand.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ChicagoTRS

The key is to not sweat...pack out your heavy clothes and then put them on when you get in your stand.

Simple as that! Also, when my feet start to get cold when sitting, I do 100 toe curls, each foot, repeat as necessary. Better than 90% of my deer hunting is spent still hunting on public land, so I rarely get unbearably cold.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ShaggyPA

Here are a few...

1) No cotton directly against your body. It retains moisture.
2) Place two adhesive heat packs on your low back (kidney area; not directly on your skin though)
3) Spray your feet with unscented Sure brand spray antiperspirant deodorant which helps keep your feet from sweating. Wear polypropyleneliners and wool socks.
I'm going to try the heat packs on both my lower back and my shoulders. I bought reheatable ones today as a matter of fact since the disposable ones worked great yesterday. Other than that, I use a lot of layers, with one of the middle ones as fleece and the one against my skin as pure silk. Always have a mask and hood to help outwith a cold face and wind.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

In order from inside out
-Long Underwear
-2 pairs of sweatpats
-Long sleeve shirt
-Sweatshirt
-Blaze orange suit
-Polyester socks
-Wool socks
-Boots w/ footwarmers.

Quick Reply: Your tricks to staying warm during rifle season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.