Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Never ceased to be amazed..update w/pic >

Never ceased to be amazed..update w/pic

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Never ceased to be amazed..update w/pic

Old 11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Never ceased to be amazed..update w/pic

I am never ceased to be amazed at the strangeness of deer hunting.

Friday evening I have a nice 8pt come in to my can call. He walks behing a big cedar and I come to full draw. He steps out and I quickly baa at him. He stops not 23 yds away. I set the pin at release.
Find the arrow.....not much blood. It is dark now and couldn't find blood for 40 yards. Decided to back out and look in the morning. Took my daughter and we find blood. Not much......just a little every now and then. I am getting discouraged knowing I didn't hit this deer good. We track this deer for over 800 yards. Find a puddle of blood where it must have laid down. Then absolutely nothing. We searched for over 4 hours some on our hands and knees. I gouphill about 80 yards and find 3 small drops. Go another 30 and 2 small drops.....then absolutely nothing. I injured a deer and I am bummed the rest of the day.

Fast forward to today. I wake at 5 a.m. and ask my daughter if she would like to go out. She mumbles she is too tired and I decide I am too.

I finally get my lazy butt up and get a shower and decide I would go out to the stand and pretty much goof off. Just looking to see if I spot anything moving during the middle of the day.

I didn't even get in the stand. I had a folding chair that I set up in front of a big cedar. No mask on and sitting on the ground in the wide open. I am glassing the meadow out to my left. I happen to turn to my right and there is this 6pt staring right at me not 40 yds away. I stay perfectly still and he walks to a tree line in front of me. There is a path cut with trees between him and me. I see him walking through and he steps out about 15 feet and looks right at me.

He is now within 20 yards and I lower the boom on him. I wasn't counting on this at all. I carried my .30-06 with me expecting a much farther shot opportunity. I was definitely not expecting anything to come from where he did with all the tracking and scent leaving the previous day in that area.

Anyway the .06 was definitley overkill for this particular situation but I have meat for the freezer.

I wasn't out there 40 minutes. Wish it was the 8pt coming back for more but I will take what I am given.

Like I said.......never ceased to be amazed when deer hunting.

I know ......violation of MAN LAW.....no pic to post as of yet.

UPDATE

Got mydeer this evening.....saw him about 150 yds along a tree line......dropped him in his tracks. I did hit him across the brisket with my bow.....nasty cut. Glad to have got another shot and not let him suffer. Ended up being a 9pt. Had a kicker off the G2 you can't see in the pic. Bad camera angle.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/flyinfeathers/johns9pt.jpg

I apologize for not cleaning him up before the pic. My daughter was to anxiousto get the pic taken.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Never ceased to be amazed

I sure hope that you can find out what happened to the 8 point.
I wouldn't, and couldn't rest until I found out.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Waiting for the neighbors to get home this afternoon that have property across the road. I believe he was heading in that direction. Hopefully they will let me get over there and look. That is one thing I don't like doing is giving up searching. I am thinking it was a low brisket shot but I am so bummed about it I have to keep looking to make sure. Left message on their answering machine so I am waiting to hear back from them. Hope it's soon. Gun season is open now so I will be taking a rifle with me just in case I see him alive.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Goes to show you that all the camo, scents, and calls dont amount to much...
Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Goes to show you that all the camo, scents, and calls dont amount to much...
Right place, right time, be still.

I do have to admit that I had deer dander still on my boots from yesterday.......does that count?

The wind was dead still.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to update on the 8pt. Saw him this evening across the field. Looks like a nasty cut right across the brisket but he seems to be doing fine. Hope infection doesn't set up. Couldn't get a shot at him because the neighbors house was directly behind him. Maybe I can get another crack at him soon.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

I'd do my best to get him.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Update at top of the page.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Spike

Awesome you closed the deal on the 8 point...congrats...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to stick with it.

Quick Reply: Never ceased to be amazed..update w/pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.