Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sound Comparisons

Old 11-06-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Sound Comparisons

I'm trying to determine if shooting a shotgun slug will be substantially more quiet than my .243. The sound of a shotgun has always been unmistakable to me, certainly with birdshot. But I've never shot a slug or buckshot. Curious what to expect? Shotguns are legal, but I'm concerned about upsetting the neighbors. Especially if they think I'm out there with a high powered rifle. Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sound Comparisons

they really dont sound that much different from one another. ive shot my .243 and my dad shot his 12 gauge and they didnt sound that much different
Old 11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Going to be pretty close to the same. Loud is loud. Not going to be able to tell very much difference I don't believe. The .243, to me, sounds more crisp than a booom from a shotgun. Just my opinion.

Can anyone else tell a difference?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

i really can't tell much of a difference between the two...but you'll surely tell a difference in the recoil! i'd use the .243 if i were you just because of the range issues with a slug or buckshot
Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Don't know if your ears will notice the difference but your shoulder sure will.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I can tell the difference between a rifle, and a shotgun with birdshot. I don't know if i could tell the difference between a rifle and a shotgun with slugs. From a distance I don't think there is much of a decible difference, but you can tell by the sound. So if they are okay with you shooting a shotgun, I wouldn't worry about shooting the rifle, or the slugs for that matter.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt you'll be able to tell much difference as the shooter, but I can definately tell the difference between a shotgun, a rifle and a muzzleloader from a distance. The shotgun makes a deeper rolling boom, while a rifle is a somewhat shorter and higher pitched crack. A ML is in between.

But as far as your neighbors are concerned, if the sound of gunfire disturbs them, the difference in pitch and tonal quality isn't going to make any difference. I'm guessing that they'll care more about the number and frequency of the shots fired, more than the dB level of the noise. So unless you're planning on putting a lot of rounds down range I doubt they'll take much notice.

Mike