Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Rain Forecasted During Bow Hunt >

Rain Forecasted During Bow Hunt

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rain Forecasted During Bow Hunt

Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Rain Forecasted During Bow Hunt

Leaving the 13th to bow hunt SE Kansas. Rain is forecasted for the first two days. I am hunting scraps next to a harvested corn field. Temp is going to be in the mid 30's. Never hunted in rain before..... Any info or tips wouold be great.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rain Forecasted During Bow Hunt

Best advice would be to invest in some good quality rain gear. Make sure it's nice and quite, not the vinyl type....
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Thanks, Already have great gear. How the deer move, it is the rut during this time. and temps are taking a big dive.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Sent you a pm.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in SE Alabama. Have since 1976. We are very often sujected to rainy weather during the Oct. 14 - Nov. 20 time frame, which in general are the dates of archery only. What I have determined is that if the rain is heavy and driven, the deer will generally lay up until it breaks. This is especially true if the temperatures are warm and there islightning. I do not hunt during thunderstorms. On the otherhand, if the rain isa drizzle to say a soft shower, the temperature is cool to moderate ... say 65F or less, the deer tend to move well. Especially after or duringtime just before the rain sets in and whenever the rain breaks.A challenges for me are to manage a quiet draw while wearing rain gear. My rain suitis about as quiet as they come but still probablynot as quiet as a cotton or wool blend shirt. Another consideration for me is shot selection.I will never take an iffy shot, but in the rain I will avoid the longer or tricky placement shots because blood trailing is that much more difficult. Best way I can describe the shots I will take in the rain are those I consider to be a slam-dunk.
Be sure to bring plenty of towels or whatever needed to dry your aechery gear and lubricating, protectant oil specifically desoinged for your arshery gear. I will clean my stuff after every hunt, dry it throughly and lubricate the wheel to axel surfaces.

If you are using a Whisker Bisquit and the rain is likely to turn to sleet or snow, the biscuit may freeze almost soilid. If this happens and you release an arrow, there is a strong likelyhood that you will strip the fletchings. My cousin learned this the hard way.