Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Stand Theft?  Here's what you do! >

Stand Theft? Here's what you do!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand Theft? Here's what you do!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: Stand Theft? Here's what you do!

Good idea as long as they don't see the camera. My only thought is from past experience. Your buddy would have still got his stands back if he had just had them charged with theft. Then they would be paying fines and maybe even jail time depending on their record.Since there was no charges pressed and no real punishment they are prolly out stealing still.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i lock my stands to the tree with a thick cable and master lock. with that being said, anyone walking through the woods with bolt cutters needs a good butt kick'n
I was thinking why dont you all just lock the stands to the tree. By the way cable type locks can not be cut with bolt cutters
they don't need to cut the cable, all they need to do is cut the lock. i didn't buy those expensive locks that can't be cut (due to their design), i buy value packs that way 1 key works for 4 different locks. i use the same locks for my treestands as i do for my game camera's, this way i don't have to keep up with 6 different keys.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

my dad just had a stand stolen that was locked to the tree with a cable lock. I know cable locks can be cut with bolt cutters because I have had to do it for my work, may not be the quickest way but can be done. The sad part is whoever steals a stand that is locked must have really wanted the stand. It wouldn't matter how its lock. The stand we had stolen was a ladder stand so the thief found the stand, probably came back with tools to cut the cable or lock(I don't carry those type of tools while I am hunting and i don't know too many who do)and then hauled the stand out. We all know that ladder stands are not the most convienent to transport through the woods either. It was a lot of work and time for a $100 stand. So if someone really wants your stand they are going to get it no matter what you do.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

But if they are locked chances are no ones going to mess wth it, unless they just come bac with bolt cutters, if theyre that determined I guess theyre isnt much you can do
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Spike

I have used the the phrase "Smile you just had your picture taken!" and taped it to the ladder at eye level. I never place a camera near my stand. I dolittle note onmy camera's that says "You passed three camera's to get to this one!" While not true it does deter them. I actually had a guy call me to say he "accidently" walked on to my property and that he's probably on one of my cameras LOL.